Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank full of varnished chucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 AM
805dwg
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Gas tank full of varnished chucks

Hey, I just came up on a 2001 Softail Standard that was in storage for 10 years. The gas tank is full of chunks of varnished gas. Anybody have any tricks or recommendations on how to clean the tank?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:47 AM
ratfinkharley
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I have used soapy water and porcelain pyramid medium from a tumbler. Heard of others simply using pebbles or nuts.

After a few rounds of swish empty repeat, rinse thoroughly and let dry.

Or use a tank lining kit, like kreme, that use acetone to etch and clean, but be careful not to get it on the paint.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:24 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,343 Likes on 3,187 Posts

Removing the tank and flushing it is the easiest way. As long as it's just the gas and not the coating in the tank.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:14 PM
805dwg
Cruiser

Tried flushing it with oxy clean and super hot water but the inside coating is peeling off in large flakes. I’m going to pour in a bunch of BBs and some of that non acid rust remover, seal up the openings and shake and roll it around for a few days. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably have to buy another tank. Already I’m going to have to replace the petcock and sending unit. Looks like the wife’s going to go without food for a couple weeks. Priorities.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM
GarageJockey
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to redo the liner in mine a couple years back. Its hanging in there so far. Here is a thread is did on that project (my contribution to the forum

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...r-install.html

Old 11-15-2018, 05:11 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain
Received 708 Likes on 301 Posts

The sealer coating inside my 02 Fat Boy started coming off in chunks. It had sat for a few years before I got it. What a mess.

GarageJockey gives good advise. Way cheaper than a new tank and with a new tank you are looking at paint anyway, so why not try the stripper?

I did a real similar fix on mine, just didn't use the kit. I got a couple of rolls of that silver foil tape they sell at Home Depot. That stuff sticks like nothing else. Used it to cover up all the paint around any openings. I put a o-ring plug in the petcock opening. In the Hope Depot where they sell chain, they had this fairly light stuff, links were kind of a pressed flat tin folded over. I bought 3 feet of that stuff and just used a pair of side cutters to cut it into about 2 inch sections. Poured stripper in the tank, put a handful of chain links in there, sealed up the sender opening similar to what GarageJockey did, and shook the tank around, upside down, all around for 20ish minutes. That is hard work believe it or not. I had to take a few breaks. Opened up the tank, t put it in the bathtub and ran hot water in it, dumping it out several times and sloshing water around in it. Took 3 cycles of that before I wasn't getting any more nasty stuff out.

paint survived and I haven't had a problem since. I left it bare inside too.

The following users liked this post:
GarageJockey (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:59 PM
805dwg
Cruiser

Well, after 4 days soaking and sloshing, it looks a lot better but there’s still pieces of liner stuck to the inside and now I can see large patches of rust. I’m about done messing with this. I found a used tank in good condition inside and out with the sending unit for $400. Another $100 for a petcock. Next challenge is the carb. This will be the first carb I’ve messed with. I’m an industrial mechanic, so I have some skills. The question is rebuild myself or take it to someone?

Old 11-16-2018, 06:26 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain
Received 708 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by 805dwg
Well, after 4 days soaking and sloshing, it looks a lot better but there’s still pieces of liner stuck to the inside and now I can see large patches of rust. I’m about done messing with this. I found a used tank in good condition inside and out with the sending unit for $400. Another $100 for a petcock. Next challenge is the carb. This will be the first carb I’ve messed with. I’m an industrial mechanic, so I have some skills. The question is rebuild myself or take it to someone?
No black magic in it. May as well get into it and learn what you have. Get a service manual if you haven't been into one before. You could always get an S&S carb too if you don't like what you find in there

Old 11-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

Wife few days without food. Lol

Old 11-17-2018, 12:09 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I realize you have taken care of your tank problem but I will ad this anyway if someone else has this problem. I collect and restore old outboard motors, mainly the ones with the tank on the top. It is quite common to get these with really nasty tanks. I clean them with muriatic acid, available at your local hardware store, will clean them up pretty well. Advisory, this stuff will eat up the paint though and as well as the liner if still intact. Also if the tank is badly rusted it may eat through the tank itself. MAJOR CAUTION, THIS TREATMENT WILL PRODUCE NASTY AND TOXIC FUMES. DON'T BREATH THEM.
kk

Quick Reply: Gas tank full of varnished chucks