Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monoshock

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts
Default Monoshock

Öhlins is only making 12.5” remote preload adjust shocks. *Won’t work for me as my LR doesn’t have a remote preload. While browsing, I saw that Racetech is making a monoshock, with or without the remote preload, whatever length you want, and valved and sprung*for your weight. $795. *Pricey, but cheaper then the Öhlins.

I never had a racetech shock, but am a big fan of their fork kits (springs and emulators). I may give this a try if Öhlins doesn’t come out with a longer shock w/o the remote preload ****.

Granted the stock monoshock is great, but when you are a big guy like myself and have to crank up the preload, it’s not as good as having one built for your specs.*

Here it is...

Old 11-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Eventually I may go with Racetech at some point. The biggest problem I see with the stock set up is lack of travel, it is possible to blow through the travel and bottom on nasty bumps when the sag is set at one third the travel. The stock FXLR spring is a little light for my weight as well. I don't get any pogo over bumps and feel like the damping is there, at least compared to most other stock set ups I've experienced.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:35 AM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Depening on your model you have over 4 inches of travel. That migh as well be a dirt bike for harleys standards. How much travel do you need for the street? Too much and your just be a pogo stick.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 AM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mchad
Öhlins is only making 12.5” remote preload adjust shocks. *Won’t work for me as my LR doesn’t have a remote preload. While browsing, I saw that Racetech is making a monoshock, with or without the remote preload, whatever length you want, and valved and sprung*for your weight. $795. *Pricey, but cheaper then the Öhlins.

I never had a racetech shock, but am a big fan of their fork kits (springs and emulators). I may give this a try if Öhlins doesn’t come out with a longer shock w/o the remote preload ****.

Granted the stock monoshock is great, but when you are a big guy like myself and have to crank up the preload, it’s not as good as having one built for your specs.*

Here it is...

how do you order them? Just contact them? I dont see them on their website.*

Old 11-07-2018, 04:59 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Good find - thanks for the post!

Old 11-07-2018, 06:09 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by drinktothat421

how do you order them? Just contact them? I dont see them on their website.*
yes, just call them. It’s not on their site yet.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:13 AM
Tozco
Road Captain
Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
Depening on your model you have over 4 inches of travel. That migh as well be a dirt bike for harleys standards. How much travel do you need for the street? Too much and your just be a pogo stick.
2018 Low Rider has 5" at the front, 3.4" at the back. Not enough to be totally satisfied. Pogo is a function of damping not travel.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:44 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tozco
2018 Low Rider has 5" at the front, 3.4" at the back. Not enough to be totally satisfied. Pogo is a function of damping not travel.
Damping is key agreed.
3.4 = low rider.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad

Here it is...

I do not understand your problems with having a remote spring pre-load adjuster. The remote spring pre-load adjuster comes with the shock. Bolt it up and put it in a location that is easy to reach.* The length of the shock is another story as you can not adjust that.* This shock includes a bracket you bolt to the frame.* This shock advertises a rebound adjuster but should have an open bleed valve seat making it function as a compression/rebound sweep valve.* By looking at Ohlins promo pictures, it looks like an adjustable end eye could be used like the ones I put on the custom built remote ressy's on other bikes for customers who need that option.* I have never physically taken one apart, just looked at the drawings so I can not say for sure. You have to actually do it once to know.* As far as pricing, you are not comparing apples to oranges as the RaceTech* does not have a a rebound adjuster in the picture.* Pricing difference for this Ohlins with a hydraulic spring pre-load adjuster and (minimum) rebound adjuster is around $161 more than the shock with whatever features come on that.* The shock you get from RT ($795.00) is a basic shock that must be separated to work.** There is no remote spring pre-load adjuster either which must make changing spring pre-load a chore. A Hydraulic spring pre-load adjuster adds about $200~$250 to the bill if you have to buy one.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I do not understand your problems with having a remote spring pre-load adjuster. The remote spring pre-load adjuster comes with the shock. Bolt it up and put it in a location that is easy to reach.* The length of the shock is another story as you can not adjust that.* This shock includes a bracket you bolt to the frame.* This shock advertises a rebound adjuster but should have an open bleed valve seat making it function as a compression/rebound sweep valve.* By looking at Ohlins promo pictures, it looks like an adjustable end eye could be used like the ones I put on the custom built remote ressy's on other bikes for customers who need that option.* I have never physically taken one apart, just looked at the drawings so I can not say for sure. You have to actually do it once to know.* As far as pricing, you are not comparing apples to oranges as the RaceTech* does not have a a rebound adjuster in the picture.* Pricing difference for this Ohlins with a hydraulic spring pre-load adjuster and (minimum) rebound adjuster is around $161 more than the shock with whatever features come on that.* The shock you get from RT ($795.00) is a basic shock that must be separated to work.** There is no remote spring pre-load adjuster either which must make changing spring pre-load a chore. A Hydraulic spring pre-load adjuster adds about $200~$250 to the bill if you have to buy one.
Personal preference Howard. I don't want an out of place preload **** stuck to the side of my bike. Plain and simple. If Ohlins had an option for a 13" or longer shock with non-hydraulic preload (standard, rotate the collar type) I would have ordered it already, you know that... However they don't offer either. Maybe not yet, maybe not ever. I spoke to Matt at Ohlins USA and he didn't know if Sweden would be offering it, but until they do, what they have doesn't work for me. I don't care if I have to rotate a collar to adjust preload, I'm not doing it every day, every week, or every month. Once it's set, I leave it alone.

As you know me, you know it wouldn't be the first time a bike of mine has seen more then one type of shock in its lifetime, so as I said, if Ohlins comes out with a shock that works for me, I'll have it. Until then, I'll probably be trying the RaceTech, with a collar preload, and 13" or 13.5" length. The stock shock cranked up to the preload I need for my size, is a bit rough, and I don't want to beat myself up while waiting for Ohlins produce...