Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability of older bikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:23 AM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Reliability of older bikes

so back when I had my old Sporty there were years that were better to get than others. gear range differences better motors starting in certain years and so on.
on the Softails are there the same things to look for or to look out for.
I am looking at getting a Heritage possibly and have found a couple of older models one is a 91 and the other a 92 between $5k-$6k both bikes are pretty well loaded as far as saddle bags windsheilds and so on.
but I'm wondering about issues on the older motors and drive train.
could someone point me in the right direction for some reading or give me the low down on them by chance. would really help a lot

Old 11-02-2018, 09:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,280 Likes on 4,445 Posts

There is an EVO section on this forum. Maybe post/read there, since you are looking at the EVO motor years.....

I had an '89 Heritage. It was a great bike... completely trouble free during the time I owned it.....

My only caution would be, if you consider one with EFI ('96ish +), I'd pass. The early Magnetti-Marelli fuel injection ran good in it's day, but today it is getting hard to find parts for it, most people don't understand it, and many people don't like to work on it. I will only consider a bike with Delphi FI on the Harleys anymore. The Delphi FI started with twin cam engines, '01 on softails and '02 on the other bikes..

Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 AM
champ198
Tourer

Thanks. a little out of knowhow on motors and model numbers and trying to do my research on them. you answered exactly what I was wanting to know on which type of motor it was
and also what motors had issues or problems.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:20 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

The EVO engines were '84ish until the Twin Cams came out in '99 for Touring/Dynas, and 2000 for Softails..

The EVO was a great engine. I wasn't doing much engine work on my bikes in those days (no garage & few tools) but I really don't remember any "problems" with them. Mine was a trouble free, great running bike. Even the EFI issue I mentioned, is more of an issue now, than when they were in production.

The Twin Cams ('99 to '06/'07) had spring cam tensioners and are a big weak spot. If you buy an early twin cam and those spring tensioners haven't been changed out, it's a good negotiating tool because they WILL need to be changed...

I have a few Harley bikes in my garage now and I do all the work on them. Recently I bought a carbureted 2001 Springer. I slowly remembered about the carb as I took it apart to clean/rebuild it... but now that bike runs excellent.... fires right up and is stronger than I remember an 88ci should be... If it were a kick start bike, it would start on the first kick... it's a hoot to ride...

Older bikes can be excellent bargains and really good runners.... you just need to inspect it well (many have been abused), and catch up on any "deferred" maintenance/repairs......

It's a buyers market right now, take your time, and find the one that really makes you want to get out and ride...!!

Good luck, enjoy the search!
Good luck

Old 11-03-2018, 10:16 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 20,256 Likes on 6,547 Posts

I've owned a 89 Sportster, 91 FXSTC and a 93 FXLR both carbed evo's and had zero problems out of either of them. I have a 2002 FXST carbed Softail and it's rock solid with zero issues in almost 30K miles.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:24 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

I will be looking for older Softail and I would go for a 2000-2002 carbed...love the sound and simplicity plus the strong bottom end.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 PM
a99miata
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

i had an 84 fxrs evo motor. I put 70K plus miles on it without any motor issues. I did have to replace the starter at 18K...other than that. oil tires & gas.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:08 PM
champ198
Tourer

Well we went to check out bikes today. We found a really nice 2007 heritage that had everything we wanted on it. The dealer was great to work with and really gave us a good deal i thought. The bike had one small dent in the front fender and when I said something about it they immediately knocked off $600. Tires weren't bad but weren't new so they also threw in 2 new tires at no cost.
bike has 18k miles on it and we got it for $7400. I thought we got a good deal so I was very happy. With us coming in late they didnt have any time to put the tires on while we waited so they will have new tires on it when we pick it up, which with my work schedule next week and opening weekend of hunting season the 10th I'll pick the bike up on the 12th.
I would post pictures up but not sure how I can from my phone. I'll get some up as soon as I can.
so we are really excited about getting it and cant wait to get out riding

Old 11-04-2018, 12:03 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by champ198
Well we went to check out bikes today. We found a really nice 2007 heritage that had everything we wanted on it. The dealer was great to work with and really gave us a good deal i thought. The bike had one small dent in the front fender and when I said something about it they immediately knocked off $600. Tires weren't bad but weren't new so they also threw in 2 new tires at no cost.
bike has 18k miles on it and we got it for $7400. I thought we got a good deal so I was very happy. With us coming in late they didnt have any time to put the tires on while we waited so they will have new tires on it when we pick it up, which with my work schedule next week and opening weekend of hunting season the 10th I'll pick the bike up on the 12th.
I would post pictures up but not sure how I can from my phone. I'll get some up as soon as I can.
so we are really excited about getting it and cant wait to get out riding

Very good choice....

You bought new enough to get the 96ci engine (comes with hydraulic cam tensioners, good thing) and the 6-speed transmission. You also have the EFI with O2 sensors, so parts of the map are open loop and parts are closed loop. That's good if you do engine upgrades.... more & better tuning options, when the bike ECM has O2 sensors...

Good choice.... enjoy the new ride!!

Old 11-05-2018, 06:11 AM
champ198
Tourer

we were really happy with the bike and even more happy about the deal we got on it.
one of the best experiences I have had at a dealer in a long time.
cant wait to get it home and get out on the road with it

Quick Reply: Reliability of older bikes