Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressvie Monoshock on M8 softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018 | 06:54 PM
KBush
|
Cruiser
Default Progressvie Monoshock on M8 softail

Has anyone tried one out? They say the stock shock is 12.6 inches long and I was planning a direct swap, I'm looking for better ride than I'm getting from the stock shock but don't want to raise the bike at all. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 10-24-2018 | 08:42 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Id just got with a longer one like 13. Damping can only do some much with limited travel. However the new softails have more travel the. The sportster and maybe Some dynas? Good damping and more travel is whats going to work the best. Im waiting for some other companys to come out hoping for fox. They make the mono shock for indians.

Old 10-25-2018 | 07:40 AM
KBush
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I was hoping JRI would come out with a set up soon too at this point they are not.

Old 10-25-2018 | 01:05 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBush
Thanks for the input. I was hoping JRI would come out with a set up soon too at this point they are not.
the new softail is only on its second year. Its going to take some time for these companys to R&D and then get the test miles. In my mind progessive its a half step improvement in the sence you can get a longer shock. I had the 440, and 444 on my sportster it was just the longer shock and more travel that made them feel better. I know its a better quality shock. But for my fat bob if i get a new shock i want to rebound adjustment. olhins has a mono shock but i find there spec confusing as to what your buying.

Old 10-25-2018 | 01:17 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Ohlins has a monoshock, the HD 501. I was about to buy it until I learned that it was 12.5" and they were coming out with a 13" version, so I wait. I like increasing height and travel.

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:43 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

I like the standard shock on my Fat Bob. It just needs a bit of attention to get it dialled in properly to suit you. I don't see any need to replace it.

Old 10-26-2018 | 08:08 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member

Also if you always ride solo you could lower your rear tire psi by 5 or 8 psi . I found 32 psi on my rear tire helps me .

Old 10-26-2018 | 08:34 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Originally Posted by adm
I like the standard shock on my Fat Bob. It just needs a bit of attention to get it dialled in properly to suit you. I don't see any need to replace it.
yes the stock shock is very good for stock. However there are no adjustments. The **** is simply a prelod which is only for rider wieght. It time HD has fyully adjustable forks and rear shock. Every other motorcycle has that.

Old 10-27-2018 | 07:55 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by drinktothat421

yes the stock shock is very good for stock. However there are no adjustments. The **** is simply a prelod which is only for rider wieght. It time HD has fyully adjustable forks and rear shock. Every other motorcycle has that.
Problem with that is 90% of HD riders will have no idea how to properly adjust compression and rebound. Then you'll get some yahoo who will sue HD because he cranked up rebound dampening too much and the tire doesn't rebound from a bump in a turn and the bike goes down.

A friends BMW r1200r only has preload on the rear as well. I don't look at other brands these days but I doubt everyone is selling bikes with fully adjustable suspensions. I'm sure some are, just not every...

Old 10-27-2018 | 12:17 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mchad
Problem with that is 90% of HD riders will have no idea how to properly adjust compression and rebound. Then you'll get some yahoo who will sue HD because he cranked up rebound dampening too much and the tire doesn't rebound from a bump in a turn and the bike goes down.

A friends BMW r1200r only has preload on the rear as well. I don't look at other brands these days but I doubt everyone is selling bikes with fully adjustable suspensions. I'm sure some are, just not every...
agreed that some people will mess there suspenion but. But you could say the same for all the street bikes riders.

Quick Reply: Progressvie Monoshock on M8 softail