Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout wheels on a 2019 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts
Default Breakout wheels on a 2019 Fat Boy

I really like my 19 FB, however I am finding that the more I ride, the more I am disliking the fat front wheel. I realize this will never handle a good as my Dyna or my FXR, but it feels like even my Road Glide handled better in the turns. I feel like I'm fighting it in every lean. I've got decent upper body strength, so its not a matter that I physically can't manage it. I don't think at least...

So I have three alternatives.

1) Sell it and get a Low Rider, but then I am taking a bath since the bike is only two months old and winter is coming. Plus I'll need to factor in the stage 3 kit since no way am I going to go down in engine displacement.
2) Live with it for a couple of years until its time for a new bike. Probably not going to happen.
3) Get rid of the fat front wheel.

Option 3 seems to give me what I will want. Crisper steering in turns due to the 130 tire vs. the 160 currently on it. Better looks as I think the BO wheels look better. Less money then the trade in at a huge loss option. Plus I like everything else about the FB.

I saw in another members post that a dealer in Australia did this conversion. I'll post a few photos. I figure I'll buy the front wheel first, and try it out. If it gives me what I want, i'll do the same to the rear. If it doesn't, I'll put the stock wheel back on and sell the Breakout wheel.

So I've got all the parts speced out, but I am wondering how the dealer did the job, as it appears the fork width is wider on the Fat Boy then it is on the Breakout. I need to go to my dealer and take some measurements. I suspect I'll need some custom spacers to get the wheel centered, but what about the brake rotor? What if that doesn't line up with the existing caliper? It obviously can be done, as the photos show. Maybe I can call that dealer and ask. If I explain that I'm in the US and I can't just buy their bike they'll let me know how they did it...

Here's what I want to end up with - a little less blackout though.

Last edited by Mchad; 10-21-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Here's the parts list so far. Only wheels, no blackout stuff. May do the forks once I am ready to install Ohlins fork cartridges eventually.

Front wheel
43300457 SPACER FRONT WHEEL BEARING $7.42
40927-08 SPACER ABS $8.32
43300433 WHEEL 10-SPOKE, 21 IN (BLACK) $607.52
43100035 TIRE FRONT, 21 IN $257.95
41100080 WHEEL SPEED SENSOR ABS, WITH 72910-11 AND 69201657 $87.16
29252A BEARING ABS $31.50
9276B BEARING ABS, (RIGHT ONLY) $21.89

Rear wheel
9252A BEARING ABS $31.50
9276B BEARING ABS $21.89
40325-07 SPROCKET ASSEMBLY (BLACK) $247.60
43189-11 TIRE 18 IN $Swap original.
40900447 WHEEL 10-SPOKE, WITHOUT BEARINGS AND SLEEVE (BLACK) $816.16
40900451 SPACER (LEFT) $7.89
40900453 SPACER (RIGHT) $4.74
40900474 SPACER WHEEL BEARING SLEEVE $8.74
41100076 WHEEL SPEED SENSOR ABS, WITH 74190-98 $87.16
41300191 BRACKET REACTION $70.37
41500089 BRAKE DISC (BLACK) $154.28 - may leave original disc if it fits.

The following users liked this post:
P8ence (08-13-2021)
Old 10-21-2018, 10:14 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

I haven't been able to figure out the reports of the FB wanting to stand up in the corners. Perhaps it's that I don't ride agressively and am happy just taking corners easy? I had a car tire on my VTX for the last couple of years and perhaps that also makes my FB feel well planted and submissive while cornering.

I had a Deuce before this FB and traded it essentially because the brakes were not what I was accustomed to on my VTX, and the skinny front tire did not inspire confidence in terms of cornering or stopping, though I liked the looks a lot and felt I'd not want another fat tire in front. But my FB does make me feel that it can handle anything I or the road can throw at it. I will be interested to hear how a different setup feels to you. At the end of the day it's all about how we feel on our bikes, and not what others might think about it. Best of luck man!

Old 10-21-2018, 12:10 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
I haven't been able to figure out the reports of the FB wanting to stand up in the corners. Perhaps it's that I don't ride agressively and am happy just taking corners easy? I had a car tire on my VTX for the last couple of years and perhaps that also makes my FB feel well planted and submissive while cornering.

I had a Deuce before this FB and traded it essentially because the brakes were not what I was accustomed to on my VTX, and the skinny front tire did not inspire confidence in terms of cornering or stopping, though I liked the looks a lot and felt I'd not want another fat tire in front. But my FB does make me feel that it can handle anything I or the road can throw at it. I will be interested to hear how a different setup feels to you. At the end of the day it's all about how we feel on our bikes, and not what others might think about it. Best of luck man!
Take a leaning turn, and I mean more then 40mph. While the bike is leaned over, if it’s safe, apply a little front brake. You’ll see.

For a while I felt like the FB handled just fine. But then I got on my FXR the other day, for the first time in a month and a half, and it reminded me. The FXR almost wants to lean into a turn, while the FB you have to tell it to. That’s the best way I can describe it. I do ride aggressively from time to time, and that’s where the FB shows it’s deficiencies. It’s perfectly fine and actually very comfortable just tooling around, but when you push it a bit, it tends to push back.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Make sense. The Deuce was very nimble, noticeably so even to someone like me that rarely rides aggressively. I guess my style of riding, as well as my wish to feel like I'm on a bike that is absolutely rock solid makes the FB a good fit for me just as it is. An example of that is something I hope I never have to benefit from. We have a lot of deer here and I ride almost entirely on back roads. With all the mass of the bike, coupled with the beefy wheel, tire, and forks on the front end it makes me feel like I have an edge, at least compared to the 90-21 tire I had on the front of the deuce. I like this bike, a lot. The Breakout wheels on that FB you pictured do look great though.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:34 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you ridden a new breakout? I tried a couple times and for me it was way harder to turn than my FB. I realize rake is different but not sure tire will 'fix' what you're finding.

fwiw - I'm with iHodor - for initial turn-in and daily riding the FB is great ... if want/need to track it/drag knees then maybe not - haven't tried and no interest here in doing that. And, come to think of it, I wouldn't have gotten any harley for that.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by rednred
Have you ridden a new breakout? I tried a couple times and for me it was way harder to turn than my FB. I realize rake is different but not sure tire will 'fix' what you're finding.

fwiw - I'm with iHodor - for initial turn-in and daily riding the FB is great ... if want/need to track it/drag knees then maybe not - haven't tried and no interest here in doing that. And, come to think of it, I wouldn't have gotten any harley for that.

Good luck with your search.
The fork rake is a huge factor. The Breakout is 34deg while the FB is 30. That makes a big difference. The 30deg rake on the FB combined with the smaller 130 tire will make a huge difference. The Dyna Wide Glide suffered from a similar handling style. Nice and stable in the straights, but not so good in turns esp low speed. From what I’ve heard at least, having never road one.

I’m not saying I want a knee dragging monster, but I do want something that handles a bit better. I think I can do this. The big question is, should I try. I could just as easily sell it and buy a low rider, put a stage 3 kit in it and have my 114 and the handling I am looking for. But I really like the Fat Boy and if I can get a little more nimbleness, it will be a win.

I just dont know which direction I’m going yet.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
Make sense. The Deuce was very nimble, noticeably so even to someone like me that rarely rides aggressively. I guess my style of riding, as well as my wish to feel like I'm on a bike that is absolutely rock solid makes the FB a good fit for me just as it is. An example of that is something I hope I never have to benefit from. We have a lot of deer here and I ride almost entirely on back roads. With all the mass of the bike, coupled with the beefy wheel, tire, and forks on the front end it makes me feel like I have an edge, at least compared to the 90-21 tire I had on the front of the deuce. I like this bike, a lot. The Breakout wheels on that FB you pictured do look great though.
Look, I agree that the FB is amazing for what it is, basically a boulevard cruiser. Excellent comfort around town and on the highways. I love everything about it, except when I want to play a little. Everyone says “then don’t get a Harley” to which I completely disagree. My 2016 Low Rider S was an excellent handling bike. I’ve had that thing over so far, so many times with no lack of confidence in its ability to take it. I honestly regret selling it. I would buy it back in a second. And my FXR, forget it. No better handling HD was ever made. Only thing, no ABS, and I am a huge fan of ABS. So much so that every once in a while I think about picking up another FXR (mine is a FXR2, the first CVO model HD made, so i’ll never molest it) and putting a twin cam motor and ABS in it. But that’s a whole different story.

Anyway, I do love the FB, it’s just not doing everything I want my bike to do.

Oh, and be careful, that big beefy fork will not stand up to a deer. Look at what one does to a car at speed... But that big front tire contact patch will give you a lot of brakes, if that’s what you mean.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:02 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Not trying to talk out of, or into anything Mchad. You know what you need to make your bike perfect. Nobody else does. I've seen posts asking about the handling on these guys from people considering a purchase and wondering just how they ride. Just trying to balance it out. Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I've admired the changes you've made to your bike already and look forward to seeing what yours looks like with BO wheels, if that's the direction you go.

Not just braking on the deer vs. my front end. You never know what that sort of collision will look exactly like, until it happens. If the tire and wheel are able to take or deflect even a glancing blow that my Deuce would not handle, I'll come out ahead. You just never know. And...my delusions bring me comfort.

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (10-21-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

But then I got on my FXR the other day, for the first time in a month and a half, and it reminded me. The FXR almost wants to lean into a turn, while the FB you have to tell it to.
Just a reminder, the FXR is probably the best handling bike Harley ever made. The company changed to the Dyna frame because it required much less complicated welding than the FXR's did. The changeover was strictly a cost measure and had nothing to do with handling.

Last edited by Mac-427; 10-22-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Breakout wheels on a 2019 Fat Boy