Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakout wheels on a 2019 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,536 Likes on 2,144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac-427
Just a reminder, the FXR is probably the best handling bike Harley ever made. The company changed to the Dyna frame because it required much less complicated welding than the FXR's did. The changeover was strictly a cost measure and had nothing to do with handling.
Of course. I am well aware of the history and abilities of that excellent frame, even with its little 39mm fork. It rides circles around even my also great handling former Low Rider Special, which had Ohlins front and rears, and Pirelli Night Dragons (also on the FXR). I'm not expecting the Fat Boy to approach either, but I'd like it to be a bit more nimble. I think the narrower front wheel will give me that.

If it doesn't, I wasted a grand and will lose even more when I trade it in at a loss. Then I eat rice for a few months while the bike fun fund recovers... But I'd like to give it a try as I really like everything else about the bike.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM
TUFF LUCK
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Those breakout wheels look good and would be sick on a FB. But somewhere I think I remember seeing a 21” front FB styled wheel or may have been factory 21” wheel of your wanting to change the handling of that bike. May be a cheaper option than replacing both wheels. Those FB wheels look pretty good!

Old 10-22-2018, 10:44 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,028 Likes on 5,808 Posts

Originally Posted by rednred
not sure tire will 'fix' what you're finding.

I don't think it will change a thing...with that 240 out back...it has 4.1 trail...never going to be a great handler .

Old 10-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by TUFF LUCK
Those breakout wheels look good and would be sick on a FB. But somewhere I think I remember seeing a 21” front FB styled wheel or may have been factory 21” wheel of your wanting to change the handling of that bike. May be a cheaper option than replacing both wheels. Those FB wheels look pretty good!
Yeah I'm seeing this getting more and more challenging then just the price, I know it can be done, because that dealer in AU did it, but its looking like its not going to be an easy swap. The FB front axle is 11.83", while the breakout is only 9.87" Thats an inch more on each side of the wheel. I know I can get spacers made up, but what about the brake rotor? If its an inch inboard on the breakout wheel, how can I get it to fit in the FB caliper... Stuff like that.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I don't think it will change a thing...with that 240 out back...it has 4.1 trail...never going to be a great handler .
I understand that, and I'm not looking for a track bike, I'm just looking to improve it a little. Maybe I'm planning a losing battle and I should drop it for a Low Rider... Changing the wheels will be considerably cheaper though.

Old 10-22-2018, 11:26 AM
TUFF LUCK
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
Yeah I'm seeing this getting more and more challenging then just the price, I know it can be done, because that dealer in AU did it, but its looking like its not going to be an easy swap. The FB front axle is 11.83", while the breakout is only 9.87" Thats an inch more on each side of the wheel. I know I can get spacers made up, but what about the brake rotor? If its an inch inboard on the breakout wheel, how can I get it to fit in the FB caliper... Stuff like that.
you prolly already know this but if the bearing are the same size pull your bearings and spacers front your wheel and put them into the break out wheel. And run your spacers. Seems like the only thing you may need with the BO wheel being a inch onboard is getting a rotor spacer made.

I just ran ran into this swapping front ends on my bike older application but kinda same deal.

Id eBay that front wheel seen some as cheap as 200 on there. Play with it and if you get where you like it just powder coat that wheel since you’re getting black anyways

Old 10-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by TUFF LUCK

you prolly already know this but if the bearing are the same size pull your bearings and spacers front your wheel and put them into the break out wheel. And run your spacers. Seems like the only thing you may need with the BO wheel being a inch onboard is getting a rotor spacer made.

I just ran ran into this swapping front ends on my bike older application but kinda same deal.

Id eBay that front wheel seen some as cheap as 200 on there. Play with it and if you get where you like it just powder coat that wheel since you’re getting black anyways
Problem is the stock wheels are 4.5" while the breakout wheels are 3.5" - thats the rim width of course, and I have no idea about the hub width as well. I don't think my original spacers will work in with the narrower wheel. And It'll be a guessing game to get the rotor spaced out correctly as well.

The wheels on ebay you mentioned are the <2017 wheels - these are 2018+ btw

Old 10-22-2018, 09:49 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

It wouldn't have the look of the FB but what about swapping whole front end? Seems that would be better in some ways than trying to piece something together????

Old 10-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by rednred
It wouldn't have the look of the FB but what about swapping whole front end? Seems that would be better in some ways than trying to piece something together????
The fork on the breakout is longer then the FB. It’ll probably look a little strange, unless someone makes a longer then stock monoshock.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 PM
TUFF LUCK
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
Problem is the stock wheels are 4.5" while the breakout wheels are 3.5" - thats the rim width of course, and I have no idea about the hub width as well. I don't think my original spacers will work in with the narrower wheel. And It'll be a guessing game to get the rotor spaced out correctly as well.

The wheels on ebay you mentioned are the <2017 wheels - these are 2018+ btw
wheel bearings are the same both wheels but the bearing spacer is different from breakout to fatboy. I’d assume the breakout wheels are narrower than fatboy. It could be done just prolly have to have some spacers built at the machine shop. Building a hub centric spacer for the break rotor may be a little pricey but cool af cause no one else has done it yet I’d say

Quick Reply: Breakout wheels on a 2019 Fat Boy