Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question on Fuelpack/exhaust combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:04 PM
LarryJ00
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on Fuelpack/exhaust combo

I'm new to EFI bikes and think I may have made a mistake. I purchsed some slip-on's from my dealer because of their recommendation. They are Python 3's which are 1 3/4. I did the Fuelpack and K & N combo and the bike runs great. I called V & H before buying any of this and they said it would most likely be close enough in settings to use the Rush settings for 1 3/4. I think things are ok but have only ridden the bike about 75 miles since doing this. I wish I had bought the Rush's but hindsight is always 20/20. The tips arent black yet --that is a concern--and the plugs look ok but thinking maybe the plugs looking goodis from the 1200 miles prior to doing this. My concern is that of running too lean and messing the bike up. Do you think the Rush (which my FP settings are for) is close enough to that of the Pythons since both are 1 3/4 or shouldI bite the bullet and buy the Rushes and admit to making a mistake. I need your opinions because I really can't afford to make a serious mistake. Thanks in advance

Old 07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
07FLSTC_Navy
Cruiser
Default RE: question on Fuelpack/exhaust combo

You say the bike runs great and the plugs are fine. I don't think you have to worry about the bike running too lean anymore because the fuelpak increases the A/F mixture.

I see what you're talking about as far as not seeing "Python Slip-Ons" in the fuelpak guide (I just installed a fuelpak as well and have the manual). It makes sense that V&H recommended using the Rush 1 3/4 as a guide since the Pythons are also 1 3/4".

Doesn't sound like there's a problem. You've now allowed the engine to breathe deeper/better and removed the exhaust restriction from the stock set-up. Pretty much what we all do. Certainly not a mistake!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:02 PM
LarryJ00
Intermediate

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this!! I am just cautious because running lean can burn a piston. I amthinking the Rush and the Pythons are close in sound although not to sure. If they are close in sound then maybe the same restriction has been removed andI am ok. the Pythons are fairly loud but no idea about the Rush's because even though very popular on this board no one here seems to have them or know anything about them. If money was no object I think I'd still go and order the Rush's just to feel safer about it all. I think they are still on backorder though. Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:19 PM
07FLSTC_Navy
Cruiser

I'm not sure how close Rush and Pythons are in sound. You'll find as many people argue for their choice of which sounds better. Not sure what you mean by same restriction being removed - any aftermarket exhaust will flow infinitely better than stock. The 1 3/4" Rush is the size of the baffle; I'm guessing its the same for your Pythons. I'd try to attend some local events and ask around as to who has Rush slip-ons to see for yourself what they sound like. Rush are fairly inexpensive compared to other brands so you're likely to see quite a few of them around - some swear by the sound of them as well. I nearly bought Rush Slip-Ons before I saw a Deluxe with True Duals...after that I just HAD to have them on my Heritage Classic.

If I had the set-up which you outlined in your first post - I would be very comfortable with my choice and set-up.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 PM
cj0021
3rd Gear

I have python slip ons and vh fuel pack on my 06 heritage classic. I us the map listed on vance hines for str shot slipons they are the same as python slipons.. python is made by v h for drag sp. and those two pipes are the same. I have 9000mi. on bike and never had a problem.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:36 PM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cj0021

I have python slip ons and vh fuel pack on my 06 heritage classic. I us the map listed on vance hines for str shot slipons they are the same as python slipons.. python is made by v h for drag sp. and those two pipes are the same. I have 9000mi. on bike and never had a problem.
That's what I thought. Python is the same as the V&H withiut the end cap. Little cheaper and sold through Drag Specalities. V& H should have told you this. Compare the difference in settings between the two on the V&H web sit.