Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Surprise Test Ride of a 2019 Harley Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018 | 10:20 AM
wvedec
|
Intermediate
Default My Surprise Test Ride of a 2019 Harley Heritage Classic

I may be the only one who feels like this, but as much as I wanted to love the new 2018/2019 Heritage this is my experience.

Wow. Now THAT was a surprise!!

As I mentioned on a previous thread (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...fferences.html). I have been trying to see if I could get a chromed out version of a 2019 Harley Heritage Classic to replace my 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic, which was totaled.

So, I decided to finally move forward. After all the stellar reviews that I read, I was convinced that I should get a new, 2019 Harley Heritage Classic. I did a ton of research, and all pointed to this choice. On my previous thread (see above), a Forum member pointed out a dealer (in Alabama) that had gotten rid of my biggest complaint - the blacked out look. Either the dealer or the factory added all the chrome that is present on the Deluxe and absent on the Heritage - and, it was my favorite color, two-toned Billiard White and Billiard Blue. I went to my local dealer and we started talking about an inter-dealer transfer. The last step (which should have been the FIRST step) was to do a test ride on a 2019 Harley Heritage Classic. Wow. The ride was SO different that my 2012 Heritage. The ride was pretty harsh, probably due to the stiffer frame, the rider triangle was more cramped, and the foot boards have been raised to prevent scraping and added to the cramped feeling. The handlebars seemed low and fairly uncomfortable. Actually, it felt like I was riding my Honda Shadow Aero 750. On the plus side, the Milwaukee 8 motor in incredibly powerful and the handling was very nimble. While I could envision doing fun, short rides on the 2019 Heritage, I could not imagine how it would be comfortable on longer rides. I was then able to do a direct comparison by riding the older version Heritage (a 2015) immediately afterward. It fit me perfectly. My hands fell naturally on the handlebars, the seat was comfy, the pillion massaged my lower back, and the rider triangle was relaxed. I felt like I was sitting in a Lazy Boy recliner - the 2015 felt so plush compared to the new model Heritage. Basically, the 2019 Heritage felt like a Corvette, while the 2015 felt like a Lincoln. I am 71 years old. If I were 30 or 40 years younger, I probably would have preferred the 2019 Heritage. It seems like Harley has targeted a younger demographic in the new Softail line, which is fine, since older folks like me will not be around forever.

So...it looks like I will be replacing my 2012 Heritage with a used 2016 or 2017 Harley Heritage Softail Classic with Cruise Control, ABS (which I am convinced would have prevented my accident), and the high output 103B engine. I should have done the 2019 test ride first and saved myself a LOT of time and travail. Thank God that I was able to finally do the test ride and save myself thousands of dollars and a less that satisfying purchase.

As

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (10-04-2018)
Old 10-04-2018 | 10:51 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Smile

i was going to trade my 2010 fatboy lo for the new fatboy one look i said no i will keep my bike it looks like a fatboy

duckf5 (01-05-2021)
Old 10-04-2018 | 10:55 AM
Sixgunjr
Cruiser

Have you ever tried Road Glide? I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but I could not live without the Road glide. The softail is a great second bike . Just saying!

Old 10-04-2018 | 11:14 AM
wvedec
|
Intermediate
Default Not really

Originally Posted by Sixgunjr
Have you ever tried Road Glide? I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but I could not live without the Road glide. The softail is a great second bike . Just saying!
Thanks for the suggestion. I have never tried a Road Glide. I have tried a Road King. It was more "tippy" (higher center of gravity) than the Heritage, and the touring frame did not seem as responsible and nimble in slow, urban riding. The Road Glide also is heavier, which does not appeal to me at this stage in my life (71 years old). The Heritage just fits me like a glove. I have a "second bike" (sort of). It's a Can-Am Spyder F3-T. Comfy and relaxed, but it is not quite as much fun (doesn't lean)..

The following 2 users liked this post by wvedec:
CB5150 (12-30-2022), Robertashby (01-16-2022)
Old 10-04-2018 | 12:48 PM
Sixgunjr
Cruiser

Ok, you can always find a really nice 15 or 16,
I bet you could do some changes to the 19 to get exactly what you want. New seat, bars etc. Go test ride a slim and new sport slide to get ideas. The new sport glide is really starting to interest me.

Old 10-04-2018 | 12:57 PM
Sixgunjr
Cruiser

One more thing, a Slim can be a very close Heritage. Add a windshield bags and cruise control. A even lighter and lower heritage. Just trying to help you out with options.

Old 10-04-2018 | 01:16 PM
Will Belden
Tourer

Good review! Thanks for posting. It's nice to see an actual review that ends with "yah, I didn't need the newest, shiniest thing, I will get a used other-thing".

Rare. Appreciated!

back again (01-06-2021)
Old 10-04-2018 | 01:47 PM
martin10
Road Warrior

I traded in a 14 Slim on my 18 Heritage. There is nothing I liked better about the Slim. Goes to show the difference in people.

TheJoker78 (03-01-2020)
Old 10-04-2018 | 03:44 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

The harsh ride was likely an adjustment of the shock.

As for as the other stuff, yeah, they are overall smaller.

Robertashby (01-16-2022)
Old 10-04-2018 | 04:16 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by wvedec
I may be the only one who feels like this, but as much as I wanted to love the new 2018/2019 Heritage this is my experience.

Wow. Now THAT was a surprise!!

As I mentioned on a previous thread (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...fferences.html). I have been trying to see if I could get a chromed out version of a 2019 Harley Heritage Classic to replace my 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic, which was totaled.

So, I decided to finally move forward. After all the stellar reviews that I read, I was convinced that I should get a new, 2019 Harley Heritage Classic. I did a ton of research, and all pointed to this choice. On my previous thread (see above), a Forum member pointed out a dealer (in Alabama) that had gotten rid of my biggest complaint - the blacked out look. Either the dealer or the factory added all the chrome that is present on the Deluxe and absent on the Heritage - and, it was my favorite color, two-toned Billiard White and Billiard Blue. I went to my local dealer and we started talking about an inter-dealer transfer. The last step (which should have been the FIRST step) was to do a test ride on a 2019 Harley Heritage Classic. Wow. The ride was SO different that my 2012 Heritage. The ride was pretty harsh, probably due to the stiffer frame, the rider triangle was more cramped, and the foot boards have been raised to prevent scraping and added to the cramped feeling. The handlebars seemed low and fairly uncomfortable. Actually, it felt like I was riding my Honda Shadow Aero 750. On the plus side, the Milwaukee 8 motor in incredibly powerful and the handling was very nimble. While I could envision doing fun, short rides on the 2019 Heritage, I could not imagine how it would be comfortable on longer rides. I was then able to do a direct comparison by riding the older version Heritage (a 2015) immediately afterward. It fit me perfectly. My hands fell naturally on the handlebars, the seat was comfy, the pillion massaged my lower back, and the rider triangle was relaxed. I felt like I was sitting in a Lazy Boy recliner - the 2015 felt so plush compared to the new model Heritage. Basically, the 2019 Heritage felt like a Corvette, while the 2015 felt like a Lincoln. I am 71 years old. If I were 30 or 40 years younger, I probably would have preferred the 2019 Heritage. It seems like Harley has targeted a younger demographic in the new Softail line, which is fine, since older folks like me will not be around forever.

So...it looks like I will be replacing my 2012 Heritage with a used 2016 or 2017 Harley Heritage Softail Classic with Cruise Control, ABS (which I am convinced would have prevented my accident), and the high output 103B engine. I should have done the 2019 test ride first and saved myself a LOT of time and travail. Thank God that I was able to finally do the test ride and save myself thousands of dollars and a less that satisfying purchase.

As
I'm with ya on that one.
The brakes & susp are an improvement (but not THAT much).
I felt the same things. Frt end felt heavy too. And that noisy eng ??!!

I would just prefer an updated version of what I have. A 96 or a 103 with a
6 sp. 10-17 Heritage is actually a bike they make where I wouldn't have to change
the bars or the seat . . . Or even the saddlebags on a 16 or 17.
I do want a clip on Batwing for the winter time though.
I also agree with the Road Glide comments. Bitchin' lookin !! But they are top heavy.
More so than a Road King. It's the fairing. I don't care if its att to the frame or the forks
or the moon. It's still weight over the frt wheel.

The following 2 users liked this post by byersmtrco:
duckf5 (01-05-2021), Robertashby (01-16-2022)

Quick Reply: My Surprise Test Ride of a 2019 Harley Heritage Classic