Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Passenger Foot Pegs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM
smittybald
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Passenger Foot Pegs

I am trying to remove passenger foot pegs on my 2018 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic to install Saddle Bag guards. The bolts will not break. I have broken a bits and sockets. With an extension and 1/4 driver, a breaker bar and an impact driver did not work to loosen the bolts.
Has anyone had success in removing the bolts for passenger foot pegs on a 2018 Harley-Davidson Heritage Classic? Any suggestion to remove the bolts for the passenger foot pegs?
Star bolts for the passenger foot pegs.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:43 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

Not on a Heritage, but on my Fat Boy. It was a bear. I ended up using an impact to break them loose. They have some serious thread locker on them and even after breaking loose they were tight all the way out. I ended up ordering what was described in the catalog as a Torx Plus 45 Snap-On (6" long) socket, but when it came it was marked T45. It looks more like a Torx than a TorxPlus too.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:55 PM
mag11581
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 2018 fatboy , right side passenger peg came right off.
not so on the left side.
stripped the torx head. Havent figured out what to use to remove the bolt yet. Do i drill it out?

Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

Yes, you'll have to drill it. You can try to drill the center and use an easy out but you may break that off too. if you can drill it dead center you should be able to gradually increase the size of your bit until you've removed the entire head of the bolt. It will then release the peg stem. You shouldn't need to go in any more than about a shy 1/4" from the bottom of the torx hole, in to remove the entire head, the idea being to avoid going so deep that you contact the threads in the frame. This will leave more of the bolt to grab onto when you are able to get at it from the side when the grip stem has been removed.

edit: Also it might be a good idea to try and remove these bolts right after riding. The heat from the exhaust may help in loosening the bolts, by softening the compound they use on them.

Last edited by iHodor; 09-23-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:05 PM
smittybald
3rd Gear

Thanks iHodor. I have an impact. I need to order the Torx 45 socket.

Originally Posted by iHodor
Not on a Heritage, but on my Fat Boy. It was a bear. I ended up using an impact to break them loose. They have some serious thread locker on them and even after breaking loose they were tight all the way out. I ended up ordering what was described in the catalog as a Torx Plus 45 Snap-On (6" long) socket, but when it came it was marked T45. It looks more like a Torx than a TorxPlus too.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior

You're welcome. Mine never "broke" loose. I never applied the force I felt that would strip them. With that socket I got the best bite on them I had yet gotten after many tries with different bits and wrenchs. Used the impact for a few seconds then switched to a ratchet. When they did finally start coming out it was a slow, grudging release. And as I mentioned they stayed tight all the way out. I don't think you'll feel them break loose at all. But if you pay close attention you'll feel them start to ease out. Grudgingly

Scary part was that slow release felt much the same as it would if the heads were stripping out

Last edited by iHodor; 09-23-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 PM
smittybald
3rd Gear

Thanks for the heads ups. I will post the results.

The following users liked this post:
WDHGS114 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 04:43 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Copied from my previoust post in The Everything 2018+ Heritage Thread and start at post #707: "I attempted to remove the existing right side passenger peg post but could not break lose the bolt holding it into the frame. In trying to break it free, I messed up the Allen Wench socket head. Since the bolt is recessed deep inside the peg post there was no way to get any kind of vice grip on it. So I decided to drill it out. It was a beast of a job but I managed. I had to buy a 9/16” dia. drill bit because a ½” bit just wasn’t quite large enough to remove the full bolt head. I used a series of drill bits from small to large cooled with WD-40 to drill out the bolt head. High speed drilling eats up drill bits as you all are probably aware. Once the bolt head was removed, the peg slipped off easily and I was left with the headless bolt projecting from the bike frame. It took extreme clamping power to fix a vice grip to the bolt and I had all I could do to back the bolt out. The Lock-tite they used was not red, but it sure held it very tightly."

PS: Back them out slowly being careful not to snap them off. I was told to add heat, but did not have the means to do so. It was a bare of job. Had a sore arm from pushing on the drill for a week after.

Good luck.

Last edited by FrankEV; 09-24-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:42 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Smile Be Sure to Use a T-45

Be sure you use a T-45 to attack the bolts. A T-40 will fit well enough to confuse you. Don't ask me how I know!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:31 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,878 Likes on 11,605 Posts

Heat them with a torch to melt the thread locker.

Edit: Thrn run a thread chase in and out to clean out the threads.

Quick Reply: Removing Passenger Foot Pegs