Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang or Sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:46 AM
camman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mustang or Sundowner

I have the wide solo with the back rest and yes it did move me quite a ways forward. I'm 6'2" and my knees are damn near at the center of the gas tank. I couldn't ride with the stock seat due to back pain. Once I got the back rest adjusted right for me, I can ride all day with no pain. Still don't like how far forward it put me.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 AM
mike077
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. I found the following with these seats on my 07 Heritage Classic:

[ol][*]Sundowner: excellent handling with the lower seating position. Moves you a little forward and you sit on your crotch. (B)[*]Two Up HD: 562etc 00A: Moves you higher and forward; smooth; slides you forward. Back rest is great. (B+)[*]Signature series HD: same as 1 (knockoff) but with a back rest. (C)[*]Stock most comfortable but lacks back rest for long rides.[/ol]
Still no perfect solution.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:51 PM
shari
Advanced

Hi

I had the Mustang on my VTX1300 and loved it. Changed to an 07 Heritage Classic last month and bought the same with the backrest. It sits you a wee bit higher and an inchish forward, but not enough to be uncomfortable. I am 5'11" and it still OK. The backrest is great and after a bit of bedding in the seat height does feelslightly lower. Of course could be my imagination! Handling of the bike is good and my bum is comfy. All in all, in my opinion a good buy, although I think it still needs some breaking in. Good thing is of course is that its not leather so it does not absorb the rain, and the seams do not let the wet in either. Just brush the water off and ride!

hope this helps

Shari

Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my stock Deluxe seat with the HD Sundowner a few weeks after I got my bike. After 6 months I replaced the Sundowner with the Mustang (wide with rider's backrest). No comparison re comfort on long rides. Plus you can take off the passenger seat for solo cruising.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:33 PM
bigthunder
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the sundowner deep bucket, very nice seat. I ride around 400 miles on sundays. although the seat is comfy it is ugly as hell. I think it looks alittle big on the bike. I put the stock seat on for just around town. I don't think you would go wrong with either one

Old 09-04-2007, 06:44 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

I installed this same seat on my '06 Standard, rode the bike for about 10 minutes, then the very next day went on a 1,100 mile round-trip interstate cruise...covered 500 miles the first day and could have gone a couple hundred more thanks to the Mustang seat...WAY better seat than stock.[sm=smiley20.gif]
ORIGINAL: Soft06

I just installed this ONE piece Mustang seat on my Standard.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: nwkshusker

Tried the search but couldn't find much, I would like to know which is the best for the Heritage Softail Classic, a Mustang seat or the Sundowner by Harley. I have the 07 Heritage and thought the stock isn't to bad, but my passenger does't like it at all. Just can't decide if I want to get the Sundowner or the Mustang seat. Any help and advise would be great apprciated, thanks!!

the factory heritage seat for the passenger is crap. I have the mustang seat and while it's "better" for the passenger, it's still a LONG way from where it could be. On another note, the mustang seat that the rider sits on, is, imho, NOT as comfortable as factory heritage seat. So you can either make your passenger happy or you can be happy, but seems as if the best of both worlds doesnt come together with mustang. I ride an 07 heritage.
I bought the same seat as 07flstc navy up above posted about. The mustang seat also lets more engine heat up than factory. To their credit, mustang factory offers a 10 day trial and if you don't like it, you can return it as long as it's like new.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,107 Likes on 5,313 Posts

ORIGINAL: camman

I have the wide solo with the back rest and yes it did move me quite a ways forward. I'm 6'2" and my knees are damn near at the center of the gas tank. I couldn't ride with the stock seat due to back pain. Once I got the back rest adjusted right for me, I can ride all day with no pain. Still don't like how far forward it put me.
I also have the wide studded and wide pillion on my FLSTCI, and added the wide studded backrest pad as well. Couldn't be happier.

I hear you about the "forward" problem, and wonder if you're aware that Mustang sells an offset backrest post for $25 that lets you sit up to 2" further back? See it here.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:45 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Might wanna try the HD sidekick seat.. I like mine