Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 FXLR brake line questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 03:36 PM
cr9c1
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2018 FXLR brake line questions

My 2018 FXLR has a single front brake line. It is one piece, from the master cylinder to the caliper. I was reviewing the handlebar installation requirements catalog and considering the 12" Fat Mini Apes. The requirements have listed an upper and lower brake line, and brake line adapter. From what I can tell, this is only for the bikes that have the T attached to the triple tree from the factory, and not the one piece cable design. It looks like the adapter is for the T itself. They do not list a single one piece brake line for those bars in the requirements section at all. I'm having a bit of a time wrapping my head around how the brake line situation applies to this bike and the 12" fat mini apes. I've watched a dozen or so YouTube videos and found a few with other types of ape installs that have utilized a single brake line from the MC to caliper.

I seem to be missing something, and am having a hard time figuring out what it is. I haven't been able to find anyone who has done these bars on this bike either. I had read some conflicting information saying the 2018 Softails used a modular brake line setup, with upper and lower front brake lines to ease in installation of other types of handlebars, but stock, mine does not appear to have a modular brake line set up at all. Do the upper and lowers listed in the requirements section connect directly to each other and the adapter is only needed if you have the T block on the triple tree or do I need to try and track down a single brake line that is sized correctly for the 12" fat mini apes? Any help is appreciated.