Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush mount Harley fuel guage low fuel light stays on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2018 | 09:33 PM
Rick Szymanski
|
Stage I
Default Flush mount Harley fuel guage low fuel light stays on.

I've got a Harley LED flush mount guage. The guage works fine enough. It'll show that fuel is being used or that you've got a full tank at fill up. I know someone will mention using the trip odometer mileage as the most reliable guage for fuel. I already do that. I wanted a better looking guage and now I want that yellow light out... It'd be great if it still worked properly.

My issue is that the yellow low fuel light stays on in the odometer head. I've checked all connections. I pulled the sending unit out and physically checked the terminal connections there as well. Under the dash all connections are fine. Under the tank, the three wires are fully seated, terminals are straight, colors all match.

I searched this site and found a thread that mentions running a gray wire to the speedometer. Where is this gray wire located?

Anyone have a picture of this idea? Below is a piece of the thread:

BrianK , 11-18-2006 01:37 PM

RE: Low fuel light stays on

You need to do both - connect the gauge wiring harness to the bike harness under the tank, AND run the "long gray wire" from the bike harness to the speedo. It's the latter I haven't done yet - I expect that will cure the problem.

Uno Deuce is the acknowledged expert on this issue, so he may chime in with additional or better advice.

Old 09-02-2018 | 01:06 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army