Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions Laws - Aftermarket mufflers Y or N?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018 | 05:38 PM
TroutBum
Tourer

LEOs have more pressing issues to deal with. Besides like many they like the sound of aftermarket exhausts. Just don't be a ******** about it and you're gold.

There are a good number of dealers in Cali that will install non SE stage 1 setups. They'll even give you back the OEM components and tell you to hold on to them while under warranty. I know a few who have them tucked away in the back recess of the service area for just such occasions. MOCO is getting smarter on that stuff so YMMV.

Old 08-30-2018 | 05:54 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

A problem with CA, is they changed the noise laws in 2010ish....

While most LEOs don't give a damn, unless you are making a spectacle of yourself, one LEO with a chip on his shoulder could really cause a headache for loud pipe owners on bikes manufactured after 1/1/2013...

They used to have to show in court that your pipes exceeded the DBs allowed for the given year of motorcycle. (yes, MCs have had EPA noise restrictions since '72, The Federal Noise Control Act). Proving a violation, required some type of equipment and special training... many were easy to beat in court..

Then SB 435 happened..... it led to this...

27202.1 CVC
(a) Notwithstanding any other law, a person shall not park, use, or operate a motorcycle, registered in the State of California, that does not bear the required applicable federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system label pursuant to Subparts D (commencing with Section 205.150) and E (commencing with Section 205.164) of Part 205 of Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations. A violation of this section shall be considered a mechanical violation and a peace officer shall not stop a motorcycle solely on a suspicion of a violation of this section. A peace officer shall cite a violation of this section as a secondary infraction.

(d) (1) This section is applicable to a person operating a motorcycle that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013, or a motorcycle with aftermarket exhaust system equipment that is manufactured on or after January 1, 2013.

While an LEO can't use this section as the probable cause for the stop, any time they make a legal stop on a motorcycle, manufactured after 1/1/2013, all they have to do is look at the muffler. If it doesn't have the EPA stamp on it.... you're guilty.. period. No measuring, no equipment, no training. The LEO just needs a knowledge of the law, and the ability to read....

First time it's an equipment violation (dismissed if corrected), but subsequent violations result in increasing fines...

I am unaware of any Police Dept pushing this enforcement, but it's a good reason to maintain a low profile, and not act like a clown, if you have an altered exhaust on 2013+ bike....

FWIW.....

Old 08-30-2018 | 06:21 PM
sparkalot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hattitude
I am unaware of any Police Dept pushing this enforcement, but it's a good reason to maintain a low profile, and not act like a clown, if you have an altered exhaust on 2013+ bike....
FWIW.....
Keyphrases: Low Profile / Not act like a Clown

Old 08-30-2018 | 08:15 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

I have driven over 100k miles on many different Harley’s over decades all with highly modified exhausts and have never once been pulled over. Just don’t be an idiot and you will be fine. I would never want to ride with the stock exhaust.

Old 08-30-2018 | 09:17 PM
ezrider93012
|
Cruiser

I didn't get them after all, didn't wanna take a chance.

Old 08-30-2018 | 11:15 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ezrider93012
I didn't get them after all, didn't wanna take a chance.

Well, you can lead a horse to water...

Long as you’re happy, that’s what counts in cases like this.

Old 08-31-2018 | 01:11 AM
CHHBadkarma
Cruiser

https://fullsac.com

give them a call. They may be able to set you up with better baffles for your stock pipes.

Old 08-31-2018 | 04:08 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
I live in T.O. and ride to Oxnard all the time. My bike has Jesse James "Hell Bents". They were on the bike when I bought it in New Jersey in 2014. When I took it to DMV in Simi Valley to get it registered in California there was no discussion of my pipes. The man doing the inspection of the bike couldn't wait to hear it. When I was ready to leave he got 3-4 of his co-workers to hear it start up and watch me leave on it. When I see LEO's nearby I just keep it "toned down" so to speak. I see no reason to draw attention to myself. I have a decible meter on my iPhone and have measured it several times. At 3 feet (1m) perpendicular to the bike at idle it is below 80 dB. Measuring sound is subjective since it decreases quickly as you increase distance. Generally speaking you would measure sound at the point where the sound is perceived. In the workplace I use 3 feet.

Totally love the Happy Face on the back of your yellow helmet. Perfect! Also NICE bike! I had not seen a picture of it "in action" before, at that angle alot more of the detail is visible. Very Cool Bike

The following users liked this post:
Sarah93003 (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018 | 09:20 AM
Sarah93003
Club Member

Originally Posted by sparkalot
Totally love the Happy Face on the back of your yellow helmet. Perfect! Also NICE bike! I had not seen a picture of it "in action" before, at that angle alot more of the detail is visible. Very Cool Bike
Thank you! I put that on a few years ago with black electrical tape. I was just being goofy and wanted people to know how happy I am on two wheels. The best part of it is how many kids point at it smiling, etc. Below is my daughter holding the helmet. That is as close to a motorcycle I can get her to be.

Old 08-31-2018 | 12:13 PM
sparkalot
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sarah93003
That is as close to a motorcycle I can get her to be.

She may surprise you one day.....

Quick Reply: California Emissions Laws - Aftermarket mufflers Y or N?