Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender trim ideas (to cover up dented fender)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018 | 06:32 AM
swhoelefp69
|
Novice
Default Fender trim ideas (to cover up dented fender)

Hi folks - any suggestions for trim to cover this dented rear fender? looking at buying a 2011 Fatboy Lo, and will need to address the rear fender issue. Not even sure the trim would cover the entire dent. Also, suggestions for the front fender tip, as it's has a bit of rust. I see a few options out there, but they're all basic chrome and plain. Looking for something more unique ? any insight is surely appreciated.

Old 08-22-2018 | 06:36 AM
Meoff
Cruiser

Why not just repair the fender properly?

The following users liked this post:
swhoelefp69 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018 | 07:06 AM
swhoelefp69
|
Novice

Originally Posted by Meoff
Why not just repair the fender properly?
Thought about it, but just looking for options. I don't mind trim, if it suits the bike.

Old 08-22-2018 | 07:31 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

As thin as the fender is, seems like a couple pieces of wood on both sides and a good clamp would fix that.

swhoelefp69 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018 | 07:34 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member

call dent wizzard they might get it out

Old 08-22-2018 | 08:39 AM
racerkvn
Tourer

Unless you fabricate some kind of trim it's going to be hard to find anything to cover it because the fatboy fenders are so much wider than the Heritage and Deluxe fenders. You might could find the lower portion of a Street Glide rear fender and graft it onto it somehow as I think they are fairly wide. Personally, I'm like you, I would think of every possible solution BEFORE dropping the Benjamins on body and paint work and I would consider making a polished stainless trim piece (sort of using the idea of the older Heritage front fender skirt trim) but I would try to beat the fender back out (mostly straight) before spending alot of time of making the trim. Those dents are kind a high and are going to play against you trying to form a cover to match it.

My Heritage front fender skirt trim was bent and faded badly, instead of buying another one (which I really didn't like the trim in the first place), I hammered and pecked all the dents out of the alum trim and then cut the entire middle portion out and repolished it. It uses the same bolt holes and looks like "belt trim" around the bottom of the fender. Something different. It's not everybody's cup of tea but I've gotten a ton of compliments on that trim over the years. Most everybody can't believe it started out as the ugly *** factory trim.

swhoelefp69 (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018 | 09:47 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

You could use that piece as a template to make a slightly larger one out of some sheet metal, paint or plasti-dip it black and use some 3m body tape to hold it in place. But first use the wood and clamp method that Mr.Softy recommended to straighten it as much as possible before putting the trim piece on.

Old 08-22-2018 | 09:53 AM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Cut the damaged part off, shorten the fender and show off some rear tire

duoglider (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018 | 10:07 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by txphatboy
Cut the damaged part off, shorten the fender and show off some rear tire
I did just that on my Sportster years back. Very similar damage to yours, all gone now. I hacked off about 8" to get above the tail light and then just did a side mount.

Old 08-22-2018 | 04:43 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

I was gonna gonna suggest cutting it too.

Alternately, hammer and dolly to workout the dent, cover it with vinyl. Maybe gloss black. That would accent the matte black nicely

Quick Reply: Fender trim ideas (to cover up dented fender)