Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage and tailbone pain? Sundowner the solution?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018 | 08:49 AM
stinkerbill
|
Road Captain

Groovy - by some miracle, my local dealer has a Sundowner solo for the 2018 Heritage/Deluxe in stock and has said I can come try it out

Popping down tomorrow

Let me know your thoughts anyway!

Old 08-20-2018 | 09:23 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
Thanks all

I’ve read too many conflicting reviews on the Sundowner to waste £250+ on one at this point. I can’t find a dealer yet with one in stock to try either.

I think I may try modding the seat - I did my Slim’s seat (though not the same issue or shape) with good results

i’m going to look at rear shock settings too
Ultimate seats rule! I can drive around the world and my Ultimate caresses the hindquarters like a velvet cloud from Heaven.

Old 08-20-2018 | 09:42 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior

I may have to go with the Ultimate if the Sundowner fails the test.
The Mustang Vintage sits me too far rearward.
I see Ultimate says their solo retains stock placement. That with a backrest should work.
Wish I knew about Ultimate before playing musical seats.

Old 08-20-2018 | 11:26 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by army_eod
I may have to go with the Ultimate if the Sundowner fails the test.
The Mustang Vintage sits me too far rearward.
I see Ultimate says their solo retains stock placement. That with a backrest should work.
Wish I knew about Ultimate before playing musical seats.
I have a backrest with mine I use on long trips. It is by far the most comfortable setup I've ever used.

Old 08-20-2018 | 02:56 PM
Custardglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by stinkerbill
Loving my new Heritage Classic... not loving the tailbone pain I get after 20 mins.

I’m in the UK, otherwise I’d send my stock seat off to Mean City Cycles I guess to have the tailbone section sculpted out... though I’d ideally really like to keep the seat ‘stock’

I’ve read that the Sundowner solo seat can be better for tailbones... anyone got experience or alternative options?

Two words Bill, Tony Archer based in Huddersfield, there's nothing he can't do with a Harley seat. tonyarcher.co.uk.

Old 08-20-2018 | 05:48 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

pics of the Sundowner

The following users liked this post:
justcruising (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018 | 06:24 AM
stinkerbill
|
Road Captain

I just picked up my Sundowner too - so far a really noticable improvement (and I prefer the look of the seat without the studs), but I'll need to let my current tailbone aches to subside a few days to then be able to test thoroughly.

If it's not perfect, I'm gonna do a little seat surgery of my own - simple enough - remove cover, sculpt out a little of the padding in the tailbone area, re-staple cover.

Old 08-21-2018 | 07:36 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I think I'm going to call Ultimate tomorrow and order one. I had one on my 16 Fat Boy and loved it, though my tailbone would ache after 2 hours seat time, but 5 minutes at a gas station would ease it then I could do another 90 minutes.

I think the stock 18 Heritage seat has exacerbated my chronic tailbone and increased it. The Saddlemen seat is better but not perfect. If I order an Ultimate then I will sell the Saddlemen in the next few weeks, as soon as the Ultimate arrives (their website says 4 weeks till delivery).

Old 08-21-2018 | 10:01 AM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by uklauren
I think I'm going to call Ultimate tomorrow and order one. I had one on my 16 Fat Boy and loved it, though my tailbone would ache after 2 hours seat time, but 5 minutes at a gas station would ease it then I could do another 90 minutes.

I think the stock 18 Heritage seat has exacerbated my chronic tailbone and increased it. The Saddlemen seat is better but not perfect. If I order an Ultimate then I will sell the Saddlemen in the next few weeks, as soon as the Ultimate arrives (their website says 4 weeks till delivery).
Hey Lauren, how's it going? I bought a windshield from you.

Anyway, you could always ride over to Daytona, where Ultimate Seats are located. They're at Destination Daytona. Plus, the owner is one of your countrymen, a Brit. Really good guy. Sent me some screws for free when I needed them.

Old 08-21-2018 | 05:10 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by tmac00333
Hey Lauren, how's it going? I bought a windshield from you.

Anyway, you could always ride over to Daytona, where Ultimate Seats are located. They're at Destination Daytona. Plus, the owner is one of your countrymen, a Brit. Really good guy. Sent me some screws for free when I needed them.
Yes I know they're in Daytona but it's a 3 and a half hour boring ride up I-95. I'll call them, but they have a 4 weak lead time on the new seats anyway.

How's my old windshield?

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage and tailbone pain? Sundowner the solution?