Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Fatboy as a "first" bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:32 PM
jetsetdj
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Fatboy as a "first" bike

Hi there!

I have not been on a bike since 2002. Had a bad accident. That bike was a 1999 Yamaha V-Star 600. Took the safety course in 2000 and got my license.
Wanting to get back into riding and looking at buying an 01 Fatboy. I am 47, 175 lbs, 5'11. Will take the safety course again as a refresher.
Question, would the 01 Fatboy be a a good bike to get after not being on a bike in 16 years?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Last edited by jetsetdj; 08-13-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Add new content
Old 08-13-2018, 01:12 PM
2003flstfi
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a long time not to ride, and 600cc to 1300 + is a pretty good jump. I would personally consider trying to test ride a Sportster see how it feels and how your confidence level goes. I ride a 2003 Fatboy and love it. My first bike was a Sportster, rode it for about 5 years, before making the changes. Mostly financial reasons. just my two cents good luck

Old 08-13-2018, 01:21 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

The Fatboy is one of my favorites but this is a personal decision. You need to sit on and ride the bike to see if your comfortable with it as it is @ 200 lbs heavier than your previous ride. If you havent ridden in 16 years then I would recommend getting some practice on a lighter bike. Another thing to consider is taking a Confident Rider Course or a tailored training program as you already have a license. As you live in Arizona there is a training company, Team Arizona, that offers basic and advanced training. I recommend giving them a call as I expect they will have training recommendations for you?

https://motorcycletraining.com/cours...t-ridercourse/

Good luck with your descision!

Last edited by mmesa005; 08-13-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:32 PM
jetsetdj
Stage III

Thanks. Yes I do plan on taking the safety course through Team Arizona.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:27 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

I would say a Fatboy is fine if that is really the machine you want in style and performance. You sit into the bike and low to the ground which is nice. Heavy for what they are and limited lean angle. It works well enough. As with all things there is compromise. I like mine, it's a sexy beast.

Just take it easy and relearn. Roads are covered with a fine silt lately, stay on clean streets, taking an involuntary hiatus myself for the next couple weeks or so.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts

I had a V Star 1100, heavily customized, until I got t-boned by a truck. Bike got and left leg got totaled. Took about a year to walk half normal and immediately bought a 2001 HD Fatboy. I was nervous, but more from memories of accident. Fatboy felt heavy compared to V Star. First ride was scary for about a mile every time I rode thru an intersection - then it was all good and I quickly remembered why I missed the bike so much. A little heavier, but Fatboy sits similar to V Star - in bike, instead of on top of bike. Once it is moving at any speed, the heavier feel goes away. Now, I don’t consider it heavy at all, but I did the first day. Fatboy has a lot more torque and you will feel that from a dead stop, but it is a good feeling. You won’t have to work clutch as much pulling away from stop signs. I have a 240 rear tire on mine and still thought it handled just fine with minimal adjustment from V star. Go for it - you will be fine. Just ride it in parking lot a little to get feel for bike before you get out on public roads. Have fun!

Old 08-13-2018, 09:04 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I say go for it. I love these early twincam fatboys. I really love my 2000, I'd never consider giving it up. It has been the best
hd I have ever owned .

Old 08-14-2018, 01:12 PM
jetsetdj
Stage III

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Much appreciated!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Mikerunsjax
Road Master
Received 324 Likes on 238 Posts

My Fat boy Lo is very easy to ride, but I've had several bikes prior to this one. Including my first bike, a v-star 650.
You need to sit on it, see how it feels. You don't want a bike that you're not comfortable riding, but if you decide to get it, you'll probably find it to be a great bike. I love mine.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM
disasterduke
Advanced
Received 172 Likes on 41 Posts

2012 Fatboy is my first bike. I've ridden my dirt bike ( 1997 XR600 ) since new, off road, but finally decided to buy a bike for on the road. I don't find the bike too big at all. I think it's a good balance of large enough to tour with when set up with the windshield and bags, yet when it's naked it can rip around the city quite comfortably and is surprisingly nimble. You will get used to the weight right away. Took me a couple hours to figure it all out and get comfortable. I took it to a parking lot before I hit the road. Did a few emergency stops to see how the bike is going to react. Also did some cone weaving and tight u-turns to get the feeling of handling a larger bike. After a few rips around the lot, I was ready to roll. I think that you'll find it to be an awesome bike and it will all come back to you within a few hours.

Quick Reply: 2001 Fatboy as a "first" bike