Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I got water in the engine....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007 | 07:55 AM
flst06
Cruiser
Default RE: I think I got water in the engine....

Not sure I understand this "open filter". No back plate?

Wouldn't think you'd suck in enough rain to do damage. I used to use water in the carb of a revving small block to "steam clean" the valves.

Good luck

Don

Old 06-29-2007 | 09:57 AM
T_Rob666
|
Banned

"Open filter" means no football cover...just as you see in my pic.

OK...just got back in from working on it and found the problem. First of all, went and got new plugs...that wasn't the problem. So, I proceeded to tear about the bike...LOL. For those not familiar with the PC, you have two tails that come off of the PC...one plugs into the ECM and the other plugs into the plug that originally plugged into the ECM. On my bike, since I have the Heartland kit, I couldn't put that latter plug under the seat as the instructions directed because there is too much crap under the seat and the Heartland seat wouldn't sit properly...so, I routed it to sit next to the PC which is in front of the rear wheel (under the fender and seat).

Well, I finally moved everything out of the way to get to that connector and low and behold...when I unplugged it, a crapload of water came out!! Couldn't believe it. Well, I proceeded to dry everything off and made sure it was clean and dry. Temporarily connected everything back up and it started right up...let it idle for a bit and it was fine.

Put everything back together and started it up again....looking good. Went for a short ride down the street and back...when I got back, noticed the "engine" light was on...wonderful. Hooked up the laptop to the PC...the map is still there, but it's reading an error code of 39. Haven't figured out what that means...not on the PC site. Got wait for about an hour till Motofuel opens and then I'll ask them. Hopefully nothing too serious.

Oh, before I put the bike back together, I wrapped that connector that I told you about that sits next to the PC with electrical tape. Guess I need to figure out a way to put that connector back under the seat.

I'll let you when I find out what the "error 39" means.

Thanks everybody for your help and advice...as you can imagine, it's a sickning feeling when something is wrong with your scooter and you dont' know what it is. LOL Again, thanks!!

T

Old 06-29-2007 | 10:22 AM
richmac64
Tourer

Glad to hear you got the problem solved. I'm thinking about getting the PC so I guess I better make sure I get all theconnectors sealed or under the seat. Nice catch !

Old 06-29-2007 | 10:37 AM
T_Rob666
|
Banned

Thanks. Of course, after I put everything back together, it came to me that maybe I should have gotten a little sandwich back and put the connector in it and sealed it up. LOL I guess I can do that on Sundayl...don't want to have to worry about this everytime it might rain.

Oh, think I might have found the problem with the "engine" light...I noticed in the beginning when I started tearing down the bike to get to the PC, that one of my wires from my load equalizer was disconnected. A friend of mine brought to my attention that since our bikes have some much electronics in it, that that might be the reason for the engine light. Don't know, but I went and reconnected and no "engine" light...at least for now.

On another note, kinda surprised to see you post in this thread after our last run in...

T

Old 06-29-2007 | 10:44 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

Glad you got it figured out!

Here is a thread I stumbled across a while back, you may just have a stored code that needs to be cleared. If you look in TCSTD's 2nd large post, you will see 39 = Current.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_62182/tm.htm

Hope that helps.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-29-2007 | 10:49 AM
DaveJ
Road Master

Didn't see your last post. Sounds like you may not need to clear any codes after all. But you can keep that thread in your back pocket in case anything else happens.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-29-2007 | 10:54 AM
T_Rob666
|
Banned

Wow...guess my friend was right. I would have thought that the engine light would come on for a blinker problem. Interesting.

Thanks!!

Old 06-29-2007 | 10:56 AM
richmac64
Tourer

No problems here......difference of opinion. Where would the fun be if we all thought alike? Just glad to hear you got everything worked out.

Later

Old 06-29-2007 | 10:59 AM
T_Rob666
|
Banned

LOL...it would be pretty boring, I guess.

Thanks again!!
Tim

Old 06-29-2007 | 01:31 PM
T_Rob666
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: richmac64

No problems here......difference of opinion. Where would the fun be if we all thought alike? Just glad to hear you got everything worked out.

Later
Happy Birthday tomorrow...

Quick Reply: I think I got water in the engine....