Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I got water in the engine....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:39 PM
anubisss
Banned
Default RE: I think I got water in the engine....

People have had problems wth thier pcIII's getting wet at the connection points even when they put the dielectric grease on the connectors as suggested. Try what he said above...

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:53 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: T_Rob666

Just talked to the dealer (don't laugh) and he suggested...

1. Let your filter dry...it's probably still wet.
2. Pull your plugs and crank it a couple of times.

I pull the plugs, which are black, and turned it over a few times...no water came out. Put the plugs back in and it didn't turn over...just turned. Now I have the filter off and am gonna let it dry.

Any other suggestions?

T
Tim...I'd bet your filter is wet...take it off altogether and see if it runs ok...if yes then you have your answer.

BTW when you go to clean and re-oil your K&N filter...too much oil will do the same thing. Oil it very lightly.

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:54 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: T_Rob666

Oh, here's another noob quetion...does our bikes use the same type of plugs that cars use or do I need to get "motorcycle" plugs?

T
Autolite plugs work fine. They don't say Harley on them but they also cost like a buck instead of 10 bucks.

Old 06-28-2007 | 08:56 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Moondognyc

Start some self diagnostic testing. I'm willing to bet that your problem isn't related to a wet air filter. I would disonnect the powercommander and plug direclty into the ecm. It could very well be a faulty Power Commander. Give it a shot.......
Yep...that was going to be my next suggestion as I read through the thread.

The PCIII seems to be failing a lot lately. Might be a coincidence.

Old 06-28-2007 | 09:43 PM
smknflms
Road Master

..someone on here had a link for rainsocks for open filters..did a search and couldn't find it..anybody remember the company..they were a sportbike site..I think the covers were custom made to size..kinda looked like the waterproof rain sock that wimmer uses.
Later

Old 06-28-2007 | 10:05 PM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Hammer02

ORIGINAL: Moondognyc

Start some self diagnostic testing. I'm willing to bet that your problem isn't related to a wet air filter. I would disonnect the powercommander and plug direclty into the ecm. It could very well be a faulty Power Commander. Give it a shot.......
Yep...that was going to be my next suggestion as I read through the thread.

The PCIII seems to be failing a lot lately. Might be a coincidence.
If it's the connector put some dilectic grease on the connection.

Old 06-28-2007 | 11:59 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't think it's your air filter either. I run an open air filter (SE oilable with the black gaskets), and have ridden for hours in downpours without a hiccup.

One question: is your air filter the oilable type with the black gaskets, or the non-oilable type with the blue gaskets? I wouldn't run a non-oilable type open in the rain.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 06-29-2007 | 03:52 AM
T_Rob666
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: dmac1968

I am guessing that if air can get in, so can water I ain't even gonna suggest that it is kharma for uploading that pic of the guy with his head embedded in the back of a truck

Hope you get the issue sorted dude.

DeanO
Don't guess anymore, dude...air could ALWAYS get in...that's what the air filter is there for.

Second, your comment about me uploading those pics...your attempt at being funny? Don't get me started...let it rest.

Tim

Old 06-29-2007 | 04:23 AM
T_Rob666
|
Banned

ORIGINAL: Clammy

I don't think it's your air filter either. I run an open air filter (SE oilable with the black gaskets), and have ridden for hours in downpours without a hiccup.

One question: is your air filter the oilable type with the black gaskets, or the non-oilable type with the blue gaskets? I wouldn't run a non-oilable type open in the rain.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
It's a K&N...oilable.

Old 06-29-2007 | 04:46 AM
darkside
Banned

I wouldn't worry about hydro-locking the motor. It takes a **** load of water to do that.If you had done that you would know already, because these things don't run well with shortened rods.If you,ve got an air compressor I would try blowing out the switch housings on the bars ,the ignition switch and coil area to see if they are holding some water still.Also check the Ecm and the power commander connections.Lot's of guys have had trouble with the so called water proof connections being not so water proof. hope you get it sorted out.

Quick Reply: I think I got water in the engine....