Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Harley Calls...!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018 | 07:32 PM
04ctd
Banned

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Harley dealers never used to cold call for bike sales. They do now. It means nothing. Just a more aggressive tactic to get you into the shop and run a credit application towards a sale. Doesn’t make them bad, but don’t read anything special into it except maybe they are a little hotter to deal if you’re in the market.
i found that newly bought Dealers are doing that get customers back in the door.
i worked car sales for few months, on slow days, we pulled stacks of manila folders out of archives and called every one and just lied thru our teeth. worked sometimes

i would go see. my last dealer split the negative equity on my old bike with me, so i am still upside down by XXX amount, but now, I am on the bike I want,
and it sounds like you NEED a bigger bike

go see.

The following users liked this post:
Trudger1272 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018 | 07:43 PM
jkinner
Road Captain

Just remember, figures lie and liars figure, if it doesn't add up you have got to be prepared to walk away. You have already said you are now considering a Street Bob due to price but you were just praising the Heritage, The dealer sharks will take advantage of this indecision, so buyer beware. I would check your bikes trade in value @ KBB or NADA before going. Good luck. This is just MHO.

Trudger1272 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018 | 09:43 PM
Trudger1272
|
Cruiser

Just remember, figures lie and liars figure, if it doesn't add up you have got to be prepared to walk away. You have already said you are now considering a Street Bob due to price but you were just praising the Heritage, The dealer sharks will take advantage of this indecision, so buyer beware. I would check your bikes trade in value @ KBB or NADA before going. Good luck. This is just MHO.
Yep!
I understand. That's exactly the point of this thread. To calm myself down and get some wisdom before getting myself into trouble. I still want that Heritage first and foremost. IMO it's the one bike that doesn't really need anything off the floor and the biggest I'd consider right now. So just firing off options and random thoughts. Sometime blind determination can hurt just as bad. I don't want to give them the impression the I'll do anything either.

I just want to add that, I used to think that the Road King was the one until I test road a 2017 RK and a 2017 Heritage a year ago this month. Too much bike for me. LOL

Last edited by Trudger1272; 08-04-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2018 | 08:41 AM
rjacobs
Tourer

Hard to give advice when we dont know what they will offer on trade or the price of the new bike.

I was going to suggest using the seedealercost website, but it appears it has changed and the invoice pricing MAY or MAY NOT be available. Maybe somebody with more internet prowess than me can figure out how to find the invoice pricing on their new site.

If I recall the Heritage had at least 3500 in margin. I want to say ~20%.

I would not buy a "new" 18 right now for more than 15% off MSRP. So a 20k bike, knock 3000 off of. I would start at the 20% off number and go from there, but 15% off MSRP would be my personal drop dead.

And dont let them soak you on freight and setup. Freight on a Heritage is $390, printed right on the Harley website. Setup is reimbursed by Harley.

BUT the OTD number(bike, freight, setup, TT&L, etc...) is the only number that matters at the end of the day. IMO you should be able to get OTD on a new heritage for under the straight MSRP of the bike.

Trudger1272 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018 | 08:56 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

I just bought my "new" 2016 Breakout w/security and ABS, 11 moths ago. It had been sitting on the floor, unsold for two years. We haggled back and forth for a while as I ultimately told them I was not taking a two year hit on depreciation rolling out the door. I had researched used and retail prices and told them "Here's the deal". I knew based on multiple sources what the bike was worth in trade and dealer retail for a two year old breakout ($14765 - $17900 respectively). We started out at $21000 and ultimately rolled it out the door for $17200, with no money down and they ate the $2000 negative equity on my trade in (2014, Honda CTX700D). That being said I found my perfect ride at a great price that I could not pass up. At the time I was not interested in getting another bike but again this was a great deal for me at least.

To this day I have gotten several emails and letters in the mail asking me to come in and test ride a new 2018. I am thinking that either sales are slow or they need to clear the floor for the 2019 models that will soon start delivering to showrooms next month. I on purpose, keep ignoring them as I am not interested in anything else nor would I get the kind of deal I got on my current ride!

Last edited by DrPlastic; 08-05-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Trudger1272 (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018 | 12:13 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Sales of all bikes are slow and they do need to clear the floor for 2019. They roll out the 2019 this month.

Old 08-05-2018 | 12:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

If your questions were not meant as a joke, the dealer probably just loves you.

Old 08-05-2018 | 06:16 PM
Trudger1272
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
If your questions were not meant as a joke, the dealer probably just loves you.
LOL
"Trust me, I'm nowhere near that transparent with them!" LMAO The call caught me off guard and got me a little over excited.
As bad as I'd like to have an 18, as time passes I'm actually growing less enthusiastic. The warnings I've been getting here's really got me thinking like I should and I really appreciate all of it. I think the hardest part will be staying cool after the test rides. (Heritage, Slim & Street Bob)

"Yeah you're right, they probably love me!"

When I bought my first and only bike last year, I left the dealer feeling a little bruised in the pockets. BUT, very shortly after I got to where I can't stay away from my bike. I have to ride daily (ride not wax) and a year & a half later, I still come to just standing in the garage staring at it. My bike makes me happier than anything else I got going. So now I feel like, my bike is actually worth more to me than I'm paying. I'd be crushed if I couldn't duplicate this with another bike. I'm really hooked on this Harley thing we have!

Old 08-05-2018 | 06:18 PM
Trudger1272
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
I just bought my "new" 2016 Breakout w/security and ABS, 11 moths ago. It had been sitting on the floor, unsold for two years. We haggled back and forth for a while as I ultimately told them I was not taking a two year hit on depreciation rolling out the door. I had researched used and retail prices and told them "Here's the deal". I knew based on multiple sources what the bike was worth in trade and dealer retail for a two year old breakout ($14765 - $17900 respectively). We started out at $21000 and ultimately rolled it out the door for $17200, with no money down and they ate the $2000 negative equity on my trade in (2014, Honda CTX700D). That being said I found my perfect ride at a great price that I could not pass up. At the time I was not interested in getting another bike but again this was a great deal for me at least.

To this day I have gotten several emails and letters in the mail asking me to come in and test ride a new 2018. I am thinking that either sales are slow or they need to clear the floor for the 2019 models that will soon start delivering to showrooms next month. I on purpose, keep ignoring them as I am not interested in anything else nor would I get the kind of deal I got on my current ride!
"Now this is inspiring!"

Old 08-06-2018 | 08:27 AM
cchuck3537
Tourer

Life is short. Buy the motorcycle (so long as you can afford it). The new softails are leaps and bounds better than my year old sportster and I loved my sportster but it is fading into memory. The new street bob is a great bike if it fits you. I found the pegs more cramped than my sporty but I am tall and decided to go for the sport glide. The heritage would be a dream if you are planning/wanting to take some longer trips to visit the family or ride two up.

Maybe they would cut you a nice deal on the sportster trade in. With the whole freedom promise I know that I was able to get a monster deal on trade even though I bought my bike before that promotion.

Excited to see what you decide.

Trudger1272 (08-06-2018)

Quick Reply: When Harley Calls...!!!