Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields? What to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:20 AM
nite trainer
|
6th Gear
Default Windshields? What to buy

Hey guys I have a 05 Fat Boy and i want to put a windshield on it but i have never had one what is everyone's .02 worth on what they prefer. But first a little background I'm 6'1" tall i stopped at the dealership and fitted a standard height shield on and the top of it splits my vision. So here's the question what do you guys prefer? Looking over (low profile), just dealing with a standard height splitting my vision or do i go with the tall shield and look through. So far my friends that have bikes have split opinions about looking through or looking over. So i would like to here what you guys here have to say. Thanks ahead of time.

Ron

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:39 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Windshields? What to buy

Sorry, I've haven't figured that out myself yet. [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:50 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

ORIGINAL: Texas Fat Boy
Sorry, I've haven't figured that out myself yet. [sm=confused06.gif]
And your not alone.
Most of the people I have talked to say your 'supposed' to look over the top, becasue that gives the least visual distortion, and a properly sized windshield will still deflectair andrain water over or around you while still allowing you to see over it.
Your alsosupposed to be able to see so many feet right in front of the bike while looking over the windshield. But I haven't been able to find out exactly how far that isor how you can calculate it to know what size shield you need. So if you find out I would be VERY interested in hearing about it.

Old 06-28-2007 | 12:54 AM
helixhippie
Road Master

I've had 'em too tall & too short. I'm sold on looking over mine by at least 2 inches.
I ride without a windshied as much as possible on my 05 Springer Classic.
THIS is the windsheid I have now. I don't know if it'll fit on a Fat Boy but I love it, the nicest I've ever had!!

Old 06-28-2007 | 01:05 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

Until I bought my Deluxe I have never used a windshield and I have had lots of bikes. However, I do mostly highway riding and thought I would benefit from a windshield. I also liked the look of the Heritage with the windshield. I have to tell you though, the first time I went out with it on, I almost had a panic attack. I didn't know where to look. I almost pulled over, when I figured out that you have to look over them. I don't know how anyone can look through it and ride. Now that I am use to it, I love the windshield for the highway. I still detach mine in town though.

Old 06-28-2007 | 02:19 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Low Profile, slightly smoked(almost perfectly clear..very slight tint..less than you expect with the word smoked)
Oh yea make it detachable too

Im 6'2" and its pefect for me, can see over it or even duck under it.. and yeah it fills up with bugs..
last time I road without a windshield in farm country land.. hah around dusk.. I had almost a 1/4 inch thick build up of tiny bugs on my goggles and jacket and the front end of the bike

Old 06-28-2007 | 02:43 AM
Waltman
Tourer

You are an inch taller than I am andI also had the same dilemma. I also wanted the low profile, since I prefer to look overthe shield rather than through it. The low profile would've been a special order, and as such, if I had not liked it, there is 25% restocking fee!!!. My stealer, errr dear dealer, at the time had a king size instock,part #58243-95and offered me$40 off retail, so I went for it. The low profile is more expensive and it's lightly smoked part # 58275-95. Forme it works both ways, either I sit straight and look over the shield (like copsdo)or slouch and look through it. Rather than concentrating in the shield itselfI constantly monitor my surroundings and the traffic ahead, so my eyes are not fixed in one place. The shield is distortion free and looking through it is ok with me. Rain, however,IS a problem, so I sit straighter and look over it.I say go for the low profile, itshould be ok for you assuming you want to look over the shield and sit straight. If your dealer has both ask him to let you try both and see which one you like. Just my 2 c., good luck.

Old 07-02-2007 | 12:34 AM
nite trainer
|
6th Gear

Ok well folks I went out and bought the low profile lightly smoked windshield and i rode with it home.. I have to say that this is the first time having a windshield and wow is it different in all aspects. I like it but i don't if that makes sense. I can see over it just fine and like the fact that it shields all those damn bugs away from me but this is only after a 30 min ride home so the big test is going to be coming this weekend when i take my first road trip. me and a buddy are starting in Monroe Mi and riding up to see the Cross in the Woods in Indian River in northern Mi bout 300 miles one way so i will be able to let everyone else know what my real .02 is on a low profile windshield.

Old 07-02-2007 | 12:28 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

you can buy any size you want & use a dremmel to cut it to the size you want, or take it to a shop & have em do it for ya. I look over mine but it's not so short that I can't hunch down behind it if I want to.

Old 07-02-2007 | 12:57 PM
07FLSTC_Navy
Cruiser

Ron - Heritage Classic w/Stock King Windshield here. I'm 6'2 and I look about 2-3 inches over the windshield. It was weird at first coming from a crotch-rocket but it's normal now. The only time the windshield gets in the way is going up a steep hill then I'm looking through it - as long as the shield is clean, no worries. Otherwise, I'm pulling myself up to look over it to make sure I'm good.

As for riding w/o a shield, I honestly don't know how people do it. I made the mistake of riding out of town without it the other day and I had to turn around to get the shield. I was only wearing a 1/2 helmet and the wind noise was brutal - maybe plugs would have helped. Either that or my 3/4 or full-face would have probably been better.

Quick Reply: Windshields? What to buy