Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Heritage softail as a touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018 | 06:29 PM
kdfoster
|
Cruiser
Default New Heritage softail as a touring bike?

Hi, just curious about the new 2018 Heritage stability and ride quality at highway speeds.
I have a 2015 Road King now and really smooth on the highway, even around simi trucks.
I previously had a 2013 Heritage, and it was a nice bike, but on the highway it was pretty shaky, even with the fangs installed.
I enjoyed the Heritage and how agile it was, but didn’t like the instability around trucks.
I’m getting older now, and a lighter more agile bike interest me, and would like to know from people who have one your thoughts.
I know I can test ride one next month at my local dealer, but still interested in your thoughts. Thanks

Old 08-02-2018 | 07:25 PM
pigfoot63
Tourer

Just purchased a 2018 Heritage Classic in July, really like this bike and their is a world of difference between it and the Softail Slim that I traded in,
It is very stable on the highway and my cruising speed is usually around 75 mph. I may later install some fangs but as of now I really see no use for them.
I had a Road King and yes they are great bikes and very stable on the highway but at 68 years old and being a small fellow they are just more than I care
to handle, are they more stable on the highway in my opinion yes. I just feel more comfortable on the Heritage and it is a great handling bike.
I also found that their is nothing that I need to replace on the Heritage out of the box, all I have done so far is adjust the handlebars and add a Cramp Buster.
When you do your Road test ride both and ask to get on the highway and not just around the block. My dealer was very understanding about this.

Old 08-02-2018 | 07:39 PM
Hardcase61
Cruiser

I have a 2018 heritage and have about 9500 miles on it, the ride is really nice and it seems to soak up the bumps as well or better than the touring bikes, as far as turbulence I have only had a few trucks bother me, I generally ride at 90 or above.

one thing to consider is the inside of the bags are on the small side.

Last edited by Hardcase61; 08-02-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2018 | 08:42 PM
desertwolf
Road Master

Briefly considered going to a Heritage from a Road King. Heritage is nowhere near the touring bike a RK is.

Old 08-02-2018 | 10:26 PM
Hardcase61
Cruiser

Originally Posted by desertwolf
Briefly considered going to a Heritage from a Road King. Heritage is nowhere near the touring bike a RK is.
the 2018's have a new frame and the ride and handling is greatly improved.

The following users liked this post:
duckf5 (01-25-2021)
Old 08-02-2018 | 11:07 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I did 2000 miles in June on my 18 Heritage, about two thirds highway. It copes perfectly well passing trucks, is very smooth at 85mph plus, there were no worries about stability. For me the stock seat sucks and the bags are too small but with a large bag on the passenger seat I had plenty of room for stuff. I did get a new seat (Saddlemen) but am still waiting for Ultimate to get themselves together and will probably splash out for one and sell the Saddlemen.

The following 2 users liked this post by uklauren:
duckf5 (01-25-2021), SPRINGER (08-03-2018)
Old 08-02-2018 | 11:36 PM
mongomark
Road Master

My son and I just got back from our 1800 mile ride up the California/Oregon coast and back home. The trip was a mix of highway and two lane coastal roads and we were in the saddle all day. I added a taller recurve windshield from Freedom Windshields which reduced the buffeting considerably. I've also added fangs. I changed out the stock seat for the Mustang Touring Seat. This bike is a very comparable capable touring bike to the Tour platform. I had an 07 Street Glide with heavily modified suspension (Racetech gold emulators and progressive springs up front and custom valved Ohlins 13.25" shocks in the rear) and Mustang seat that I put 96k miles on. Even with those mods, the 18 Heritage has a more compliant and capable suspension. I wish the bags were bigger but I use large luggage anyhow and didn't need additional storage. Great for touring with cruise control. Even better around town, in the twisties, parking and slow speed riding which is why I have 10,500 miles since I brought it home at the end of January.

Old 08-03-2018 | 12:42 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Agree with most here that the new Heritage is a great touring bike. I traded my ‘16 RK on it with zero regrets and really enjoy the lighter nimbler overall package.

The only thing you you might miss based on your question is the extra RK 100lbs at freeway speeds. It adds to the stability a bit and that’s the trade of having a lighter bike. Maybe you’ll feel differently about it on this new platform than you did previously. Worth an extended test drive to find out for yourself.

Old 08-03-2018 | 01:42 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

I can't tell you anything about the Heritage - but I can say that the new Softail frame (which the Heritage shares) is excellent and highly capable of touring.

I recently did a 2 week European tour on my 2018 Fat Bob and it handled everything from dirt tracks to German autobahns with aplomb. Very stable up to and beyond 110mph. Fitted with a windscreen, a rack and a rolling tour bag it was perfect for solo touring. It was also clearly the fastest and best handling bike of our group of around 20 bikes.

Old 08-03-2018 | 04:06 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member

They won’t let you test ride one until next month?
id try another dealer.

Quick Reply: New Heritage softail as a touring bike?