Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Turn Signal operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 10:48 AM
seadogmike
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question about Turn Signal operation

New to me '89 softail.
Previous bike was a honda shadow.
Regarding the turn signal operation I am a bit confused, or possibly have a problem.
pressing the left or right turn signal buttons will flash the appropriate turn signals both front and back.
when I release the button it no longer flashes.
I thought it should have a turn signal canceling module, but when I look in the parts catalog, there isn't one listed.
Is this the way they operate normally?
Perhaps someone can explain, would be a big help.
Thanks,
Seadog

Old 07-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 4,132 Posts

The '89 Softails did not come with self-cancelling turn signals. That is the normal the operation of the turn signals. In other words, the turn signals will only operate as long as you hold the button down. My '88 Heritage is the same way.

Old 07-28-2018, 02:10 PM
seadogmike
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
The '89 Softails did not come with self-cancelling turn signals. That is the normal the operation of the turn signals. In other words, the turn signals will only operate as long as you hold the button down. My '88 Heritage is the same way.
I seen some aftermarket turn signal canceler modules on line. will these work?

Old 07-28-2018, 03:45 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,271 Likes on 3,164 Posts

No, the turn signals would have to stay on without you holding the button for that to work
In other words, press to turn in press again to turn off

Last edited by RANGER73; 07-28-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:48 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

^^^ I agree. I'd find it hard to understand why you would have to continue to hold the switch in while completing the turn. That would be unsafe to say the least.

Press it, let it go, make the turn, press it again to cancel. I believe that is how it should work.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:53 PM
seadogmike
Intermediate

I agree.
Sometimes faced with the decision of turn signals or no turn signals. I try to use them all the time, but sometimes it's just not possible.... Clutch, front brake, throttle and a damn turn signal that wont stay on through a turn.
who thought this engineering catastrophe up?

I am an electrical engineer, and I could have done better. But so far this has been mu only major complaint.
Maybe its time to design my own.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 AM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by seadogmike
New to me '89 softail.
Previous bike was a honda shadow.
Regarding the turn signal operation I am a bit confused, or possibly have a problem.
pressing the left or right turn signal buttons will flash the appropriate turn signals both front and back.
when I release the button it no longer flashes.
I thought it should have a turn signal canceling module, but when I look in the parts catalog, there isn't one listed.
Is this the way they operate normally?
Perhaps someone can explain, would be a big help.
Thanks,
Seadog
I also have a 1989 Softail and it does the same thing. I think it's supposed to be like that.
Frustrating and unsafe.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

My 1990 Sportster is the same way. $100 or so to get rhe self canceling kit that has to be wired in.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:36 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,271 Likes on 3,164 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor
^^^ I agree. I'd find it hard to understand why you would have to continue to hold the switch in while completing the turn. That would be unsafe to say the least.

Press it, let it go, make the turn, press it again to cancel. I believe that is how it should work.
It's not a matter of what YOU believe, That's the way it was designed.
You can add a turn signal module, and change your speedometer to make it do what you want. If you've got the time and money.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:49 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by iHodor

They were designed when being a motorcycle rider required a level of skill greater than it takes to ride a newer machine with things like ABS, traction control, slipper clutches, gear indicators and self canceling turn signals. Having to hold in a turn signal button is nothing compared to riding an HD with a tank shifter and foot clutch, ah kids...what are you gonna do with them? A little tongue in cheek humor and not meant to be mean or condescending but there's a truth to it. Harley tried to solve a problem simply by having the rider hold the button when they wanted to indicate a turn. This was, in my opinion, the lesser of two evils when it comes to unskilled riders going down the road with their blinker on. Many of which, had cars pull in front of them because the driver believed the rider was turning. To be sure, the car drivers were at fault legally but that doesn't change the fact that an avoidable crash happened at the rider's expense.

Quick Reply: Question about Turn Signal operation