Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Turn Signal operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018 | 07:05 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

The earlier models in the 80's had a switch that would lock in on first push then unlock on second. No auto cancelling ability. At least my 86 FXR had this set up. I sometimes forgot to unlock after sitting a light and rode down the rode with my signal blinking which is very dangerous. I actually went in and removed the mechanism that locked the button. I think they probably moved away from the lock because of the same reason I did. There was no indicator on the dash to remind you to disengage the turn signal. Honestly I don't see how holding the button down while turning is difficult. Your thumb has to be somewhere on the grip.

Old 07-29-2018 | 08:58 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

You bought a 30 year old motorcycle. What do you expect. Good thing you didn’t buy 50 year old bike; ‘cause they even have turn signals, you used your arm.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018 | 09:26 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior

^^^ This is what I was used to when I started riding. We had signals, non-cancelling, but arm gestures were still taught in the manual and used by as many as not. I don't recall ever having a bike that required holding the switch to be held in but if I had I would likely have just let it go before making the turn, just as you do when using your arm, or more likely just used my arm. Amazing what some corporations will do just to save pennies per unit, even though they do add up. I know that some bikes require a constant pressure on the switch, and I do believe this to be a poor design.

Old 07-29-2018 | 03:47 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by iHodor
^^^ This is what I was used to when I started riding. We had signals, non-cancelling, but arm gestures were still taught in the manual and used by as many as not. I don't recall ever having a bike that required holding the switch to be held in but if I had I would likely have just let it go before making the turn, just as you do when using your arm, or more likely just used my arm. Amazing what some corporations will do just to save pennies per unit, even though they do add up. I know that some bikes require a constant pressure on the switch, and I do believe this to be a poor design.

I still use hand signals in the daytime... especially when changing lanes on the freeway. It is a lot more visible than a blinking light... Of course, I never gave any thought to the fact that there may be people out there that don't know the signals, they're pretty intuitive .... But I hope they still teach them..!

FWIW.... My '78 FXS, '80 FXS, and '89 FLSTCI all had turn signal buttons that you had to hold, for the blinkers to stay on.....

Old 07-29-2018 | 09:21 PM
seadogmike
|
Intermediate

Using The hand signals is what I usually end up doing. Only use the turn signals when it's convenient, but at the very least I try to give some signal. When I first started riding the honda, I sometimes would forget to turn the signals off. I finally broke myself of that after a close call once for not turning them off immediately after making a turn.
I have an Idea to make them work like I want them to, gonna try to put it together.

Seadog

Old 07-30-2018 | 11:18 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've got self canceling signals, they cancel in 100 feet. So when I'm going to turn with traffic behind me, I press and hold early, if I don't they turn off BEFORE I get to the turn. Once I release then the 100 ft. countdown starts.
I can cancel them myself with another press of the button. It's not dififcult.

Old 07-31-2018 | 08:34 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Signal before you turn. When you start the actual turn you can let go of the button it becomes obvious (and too late for the signal to help anything).
BTW: Same with hand signals.