Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018 | 09:52 PM
Mongo1224
|
Stage IV
Default Advice Needed

I need some advice for you Softail people. I have had a road king, and now on my second ultra classic. I have always loved a fat boy. I am wanting to get rid of my ultra and get a fat boy. My question is how is a Softail on long trips. Also I was told today that the fat boys ride is rougher than a heritage. I always thought they would be the same. Im hearing so many things I just don’t want to regret it. I know that it’s not going to be a touring bike comfort, just as long as it’s not too bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:03 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Many people make it work, it's up to you as to what seat, floor boards, etc. you need to make it comfortable. The question then is "Will you like how it looks after you make all those changes?" Personally, if you want to go long distance then take another look at the Road King. But if looks are your thing then you may have to get the Fatboy and have two configurations, one for crusing and one for touring?

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:17 PM
Andrew Gibbs
6th Gear

From what I can gather, it depends on your height. I’m 6’2”, 190lbs with a 33” inseam and I hate mine. Hate it. After about 20 minutes, my hips are KILLING me. I’ve put on new seat, pullback risers, and a windshield, trying to help. It’s still uncomfortable. I usually ride 10k miles a year, but I’ve only put 1k on this bike in the year I’ve owned it. It’s just too painful to ride.

I wanted a Softail slim BAD. So last year, I sold my triumph and bought one. I thought it was pretty nifty on the 2-3 mile test ride. On the ride home, I knew I had a problem. I’m considering trading it for a street glide or going back to a different brand altogether. I’m pretty disappointed.

hopefully your experience will be better.

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:25 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've owned Sportsters, Dynas and a Road King....just purchased a 2017 Fatboy this last Sunday and for me it's the best riding Harley I've ever owned. Dead stable. I heard the wind would move them around..but haven't experienced that at all. I could see riding this on long trips if outfitted right. I hope that helps.

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:33 PM
Mongo1224
|
Stage IV

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Many people make it work, it's up to you as to what seat, floor boards, etc. you need to make it comfortable. The question then is "Will you like how it looks after you make all those changes?" Personally, if you want to go long distance then take another look at the Road King. But if looks are your thing then you may have to get the Fatboy and have two configurations, one for crusing and one for touring?
That’s what I was thinking. Two configurations.

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:37 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior

A Fatboy will never be as comfortable as an Ultra, but will always look better. I have done several 350 mike days and one 500 mike day on my Fatboy, not bad. A Heritage has a slightly more plush ride than a Fatboy. Maybe just keep the Ultra and pick up a used Fatboy for shorter rides.

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:38 PM
Mongo1224
|
Stage IV

[QUOTE=Andrew Gibbs;17544486]
From what I can gather, it depends on your height. I’m 6’2”, 190lbs with a 33” inseam and I hate mine. Hate it. After about 20 minutes, my hips are KILLING me. I’ve put on new seat, pullback risers, and a windshield, trying to help. It’s still uncomfortable. I usually ride 10k miles a year, but I’ve only put 1k on this bike in the year I’ve owned it. It’s just too painful to ride.

I wanted a Softail slim BAD. So last year, I sold my triumph and bought one. I thought it was pretty nifty on the 2-3 mile test ride. On the ride home, I knew I had a problem. I’m considering trading it for a street glide or going back to a different brand altogether. I’m pretty disappointed.

hopefully your experience will be better.
[/QUOTE Sorry to hear that. I may rent one for the day to see what I think.

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:40 PM
Mongo1224
|
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Jaystn62
I've owned Sportsters, Dynas and a Road King....just purchased a 2017 Fatboy this last Sunday and for me it's the best riding Harley I've ever owned. Dead stable. I heard the wind would move them around..but haven't experienced that at all. I could see riding this on long trips if outfitted right. I hope that helps.
Thanks

Old 07-26-2018 | 10:40 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

The other issue with the Fatboy is rear tire wear. On average with my 2012 Fatboy I was consistently getting only 6000 miles on a rear tire ( and I ride very conservatively) . When you figure the cost of the tires and labor to replace them ( you have to remove the mufflers to replace the rear tire). The cost per mile comes to 10 cents. When you figure the cost that way it becomes evident that the cost to run a Fatboy is higher than other choices.

Old 07-26-2018 | 11:40 PM
zrdstr3
Intermediate

I've owned a 2001 Road King, 2003 Fatboy, 2008 Ultra, 2010 Road Glide special, 2014 Street Glide Special and a 2016 CVO Street Glide Special before I purchased an 18 Fatboy. The new Fatboy ride is comparable to the touring bikes, except for wind protection. The touring bikes are a little plusher on long rides but the Fatboy is still tolerable. The 2003 Fatboy I owned was lowered and didn't ride as well as my new Fatboy but it was still decent for 200 or 300 miles.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed