Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stand on 2018 sport glide problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:11 AM
Smarcoux
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stand on 2018 sport glide problem

I have my sport glide 2018 since may
like everything about it but one thing

the stand : the angle is very staigh stand is short and flimsy never dropped a harley before

i dropped this bike the first week by just moving it stand pop's up quick

i was washing bike turned the wheel to wash stand poped up again bike almost fell on me

really a flaw in this design.

need to find a solution

Old 07-26-2018, 07:47 AM
Mac-427
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarcoux
I have my sport glide 2018 since may
like everything about it but one thing

the stand : the angle is very staigh stand is short and flimsy never dropped a harley before

i dropped this bike the first week by just moving it stand pop's up quick

i was washing bike turned the wheel to wash stand poped up again bike almost fell on me

really a flaw in this design.

need to find a solution
I've searched high and low for a mechanical solution to your problem because I don't like the kick stand on my 2018 Fatboy. After my search, I've concluded there isn't any kind of fix on the market. Compounding the problem is the fact that the floorboards on my bike make the stand hard to see. So, I've developed a process that involves giving the stand a forward kick with my boot to make sure the stand is fully extended before I let the bike down, and then giving the bike a slight backward pull using the handle bars before I rest full weight on the stand. I use this method every time I park the bike, accordingly, it now has become a habit and I've had no problems.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:01 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

^^^ Exactly. Has to be used/treated differently than other kickstands. Once the habit is developed it's not an issue. Just have to be sure to look, move it all the way forward, pull the bike back as you are laying it over onto the stand, and all is good.

I'd guess that when you turned the bars and had the bike come over on you that you hadn't set the stand all the way in before letting the bike go when you originally set it. Probably lucky that it didn't all on its own before you were standing next to it later. They're trickier than past stands for sure, a pita really, but useable.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Smarcoux
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had many flh previous years had a softail in 1986
kikstand's where never an issue and even where very secure

with this bike i never feel secure it is so easy to pop up the slight movement of the bike and it does

i now sit on the bike everytime i move it in my garage

if harley does not come out with a fix i will try and find someone who will .

Old 07-26-2018, 09:05 AM
jombagimbley
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel ya! I dropped mine in my garage a week in. I hate that stand. Lots of folks told me to just get used to it and develop a habit of kicking it forward 3 times or something. It's just a bad design, period. HD should really address it.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 658 Likes on 292 Posts

Yeah, the stand sucks. Like others, I just kick it forward a few times to make sure it’s fully extended, lean it over slowly, then pull the bike backwards a bit.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:11 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

My Deuce was similar. That was my first Harley, and both of these stands are different than any others I've had. If a third party stand comes out that works like a traditional stand does I'll probably make the switch too.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:14 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,476 Likes on 1,414 Posts

The stand is definitely worse than on older HDs - but it does the job. As other have said, push it forward with your boot as you tilt the bike over and pull back. The bike locks on the stand and it is deceptively strong.

One thing to be aware of though - on my bike, the c-clip holding the clevis pin that the stand pivots on came off and the pin came up through part of the bracket. This made the stand fee very loose and wobbly. I fixed it with another c-clip, but you might want to check yours just to see if this is your problem.

A long term fix for this would be to drill the end of the pin and put a retaining ring through it.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

not a fan of the new side stand either, being really careful with it. Why did they feel the need to mess with prior stands that worked so well (some genius that guy was).

Old 07-26-2018, 12:32 PM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Seems like a lot of the 2018 redesign was aimed at weight reduction.
Some of it overkill IMO.
No heel shifter, no splash guard under the seat, shorter jiffy stand...

Quick Reply: Stand on 2018 sport glide problem