Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New M8 Softails attracting new buyers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018 | 07:00 AM
Diablo4123
Intermediate

Just picked up a 18 street bob. Wow this bike got ***** out of the box. If anyone out there hasn't ridden one yet I highly recommend it. I was riding triumphs for years and this bike just floored me with its capabilities. I hated to tell the salesman, but i see no need to ever buy another bike unless this blows up. Its a beast with 1750cc and 110 ft lbs of torque. It also has a shorter wheelbase this year and different suspension. Unless your a speed junky, I can't imagine why anyone would need more power.

The following users liked this post:
StreetBob18 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018 | 11:28 AM
UTFatbob
Novice

2018 Fat Bob roped me in. Was at the dealership with a buddy who wanted to look at Sportsters and the Fat Bob immediately caught my eye. I went back the next week, test rode it, and before I knew it I was signing papers on it. I'd had a Yamaha in the past, but Harleys have always held a special place with me as I grew up around them.

Old 07-23-2018 | 03:11 PM
LXT
Road Master

Originally Posted by badcooky
Beautiful bike man and yes the new Softails are a massive improvement over the previous iteration.
Lmfao...…………… ! Not.

Old 07-23-2018 | 07:30 PM
badcooky
|
Banned

Originally Posted by UTFatbob
2018 Fat Bob roped me in. Was at the dealership with a buddy who wanted to look at Sportsters and the Fat Bob immediately caught my eye. I went back the next week, test rode it, and before I knew it I was signing papers on it. I'd had a Yamaha in the past, but Harleys have always held a special place with me as I grew up around them.
Onya dude.

Old 07-23-2018 | 10:35 PM
StreetBob18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by badcooky
The new bikes seem to have attracted a lot of new riders to HD I think , there's a lot of first time HD owners posting.And yea by the way it's way awesome to see new blood on HD's dudes and doodettes.
So maybe the new styles have been effective in that demographic of the new to HD buyer. I get that there's many of us out there who will buy nothing else , so it's not us die hard owners that HD had to win over, we're a money for old rope sorta thing anyways.
I know bike sales are down globally but maybe HD hit one out of the park with these new Softails?
Any new owners have a comment on their decision to purchase a new HD ?
Any owners returning to HD have a comment ?
Yeah mate, the new M8 Softails are definitely bringing in (and keeping) new HD owners.

Myself, my brother and a good mate all got new M8 Streetbobs within the space of a few weeks. That would not have happened if HD had not updated/merged the old Dyna/Softail into the new (& best) M8 Big Twin package.

From my point of view, if HD did not bring out the M8 I would no longer be riding a Harley. I wanted to upgrade the Sportster, but the older Twin Cam bikes had no appeal whatsoever. I was looking at other brands as an upgrade.
But one ride on the new M8 and was sold! Awesome engine, suspension, frame, handling, features..the list goes on.

So yes, HD did hit one out the park with the new M8 Softail!

Last edited by StreetBob18; 07-23-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2018 | 10:46 PM
StreetBob18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Diablo4123
Just picked up a 18 street bob. Wow this bike got ***** out of the box. If anyone out there hasn't ridden one yet I highly recommend it. I was riding triumphs for years and this bike just floored me with its capabilities. I hated to tell the salesman, but i see no need to ever buy another bike unless this blows up. Its a beast with 1750cc and 110 ft lbs of torque. It also has a shorter wheelbase this year and different suspension. Unless your a speed junky, I can't imagine why anyone would need more power.
Well done, and I can tell you having had mine for over 6 months now, that it just gets better & better!

Old 07-23-2018 | 11:35 PM
badcooky
|
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetBob18
Yeah mate, the new M8 Softails are definitely bringing in (and keeping) new HD owners.

Myself, my brother and a good mate all got new M8 Streetbobs within the space of a few weeks. That would not have happened if HD had not updated/merged the old Dyna/Softail into the new (& best) M8 Big Twin package.

From my point of view, if HD did not bring out the M8 I would no longer be riding a Harley. I wanted to upgrade the Sportster, but the older Twin Cam bikes had no appeal whatsoever. I was looking at other brands as an upgrade.
But one ride on the new M8 and was sold! Awesome engine, suspension, frame, handling, features..the list goes on.

So yes, HD did hit one out the park with the new M8 Softail!
I hear you loud and clear brother , I'd still be on Evo's man if the M8 was not such a massive step up from the Twinky.
It's a better bike at everything absolutely

Old 07-26-2018 | 08:51 AM
jombagimbley
6th Gear

Long story ahead: I've been on a slow progression since high school, gradually moving up in size and quality with each new (mostly "new" to me) bike. A few years back, I moved up from a VStar 1100 to an Electra Glide - my first HD and quite a jump. An arm injury sidelined me from riding for a while, but gave me the excuse to get a new bike. (you have to find the good in things, right?) So, with the feeling that I wouldn't have the confidence to ride the Electra Glide with the now-weakened arm, I was looking for something lighter. I did quite a bit of research on the new Softails and was drawn to the Sport Glide and the Low Rider. One look at the Low Rider convinced me, then sitting on it pushed me, but driving it sealed the deal! I ended up selling the Electra Glide to my son-in-law who returns from Afghanistan in a couple of weeks. I'm driving it down to park it his garage tomorrow where it will be waiting for him when he gets home. BUT, this thread is about Softails. I am LOVING the Low RIder. I'm on it more than any other bike I've owned. I make up reasons to go somewhere and always take the long way. The one unresolvable issue with it is that it makes me late for everything! I tell people that the EG was like driving an RV to work. It has all the conveniences of a modern home, but it comes with logistic issues. The LR is like driving my favorite muscle car to work. I'm VERY pleased with this purchase!

PS: I'm 54. Not quite the target millennial demographic.

Last edited by jombagimbley; 07-26-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-26-2018 | 11:35 AM
Dendang
3rd Gear

First time buyer here at 43 years-old. I've been consistently riding since I was 16 and have had 12 street bikes. The '18 Fat Bob 114 is my first HD.

Years ago, I rented a Road King to ride the tail of the dragon at Deal's Gap and immediately came home to buy one, but was so poorly treated at the local dealer that I left and bought a BMW the same day. Since then I've had a second BMW and a Ducati. I kept saying that if HD would put out something styled with less chrome and some more modern features like LED lamps, quick adjust suspension, and maybe dual disc brakes, I'd go look. Since my poor experience, my local dealer has changed owners and this year's Softtail test ride push was announced and those got me in to look and eventually buy.

I've noticed a lot of bile directed towards these new bikes, particularly the Fat Bob. They're still making the traditional models for the traditional buyers, but now they're making things for me. And that's new. I never watched Sons of Anarchy and I never wanted to be in a MC, but I have always wondered why these heavy chrome yachts are/were so popular. There is very definitely a different, rewarding ethos to HD that I never understood. I applaud the motor company for taking a chance on attracting a different/new segment of riders. Their well-thought-out effort worked on me. Now they have me daydreaming about a similarly restyled and updated sports-bagger.

SaveSave

Old 07-26-2018 | 01:04 PM
cory464
Cruiser

well, after 20 years with no bike, i bought a 2017 softail slim. i would have kept that bike forever except for one little mistake. i rode a 2018. the difference in the two is incredible. plenty of power, ride is awesome, and honestly i just can't say enough good things about it. ive always liked harleys, but never enough to buy one. till i saw my first slim. i like the direction harley is headed, moving away from the chrome and leather barges and making some stripped down bad *** bikes. i think they definitely nailed it with the softails.

Quick Reply: New M8 Softails attracting new buyers