Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018 | 01:52 PM
2003flstfi
|
Intermediate

Found one bare spot on the ground wire. Not sure that that fix the short. If I got oil into the starter would that cause a short. Still wondering how a short would cause the oil leak. Thanks again for your input. feel like an idiot .... Leak may have caused the short or they were simultaneous... Need to step backwards for perspective I guess.

Last edited by 2003flstfi; 07-20-2018 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Aha moment
Old 07-23-2018 | 12:52 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2003flstfi
Still wondering how a short would cause the oil leak. Thanks again for your input. feel like an idiot .... Leak may have caused the short or they were simultaneous... Need to step backwards for perspective I guess.
You have two separate problems.... whatever the reason(s).....

They may be semi-related... Like both may have been caused by jolt from the pothole, or {insert your guess here}... how they may have happened might help you in your investigation/search... but it's not necessary when you can see/find the symptoms..

The only things that are for certain:

1) You have an oil leak

2) You also have a short somewhere, oil lines will not arc, without an electrical short supplying voltage to them.

Both need to be identified and fixed.... sometimes easier said than done... good luck with the fix...

Old 07-23-2018 | 04:20 PM
2003flstfi
|
Intermediate

Of the two obvious problems I would think the short is going to be the major pain in the butt. I've traced all the wires that are visible with only mild investigating ,nothing bare or obvious. Could the battery have grounded out on the oil tank and if so what is a safe way to check to see if that eliminates the problem ,short of arcing the oil line off of the tranny? Thanks

Old 07-23-2018 | 08:28 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Of the two obvious problems I would think the short is going to be the major pain in the butt. I've traced all the wires that are visible with only mild investigating ,nothing bare or obvious. Could the battery have grounded out on the oil tank and if so what is a safe way to check to see if that eliminates the problem ,short of arcing the oil line off of the tranny? Thanks

Most bolt on parts are connected to the frame/ground, via their bolts..... You can always check continuity with a volt meter from anything to ground....

But where is the + voltage coming from to the oil lines....? Or to the trans case....? If it's to the trans case (which I'm pretty sure is grounded), it must be intermittent, or there would smoke, sparks and fire....!

You said it sparks when you move the oil line...? What wires will the oil lines contact when you move them, but not at rest..?

Good luck... I hate chasing electrical problems...!

Old 07-23-2018 | 09:45 PM
2003flstfi
|
Intermediate

After digging and searching I found a small chafed spot on the main hot line to the starter and the test light lit up on contact with it. Must have overlooked it it half a dozen times lol. Taped it and now I am hoping that was the only bad wire. So hopeful that I am going to order the oil lines and start working on that problem. Anyway to check for more gremlins hiding out? Really appreciate all the help brothers from another. See y'all in the wind

Old 07-23-2018 | 10:33 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.... so many of these threads leave us hanging....!

Good job trouble shooting, too...!

There could always be another intermittent short, but it sounds like you found your issue. That chafed spot could totally account for what was happening...... hopefully the tape is only temporary and you have a new positive starter cable in your near future....?

It's a really good feeling when you finally figure out an electrical problem....!! Good job...!

Old 07-24-2018 | 09:42 AM
2003flstfi
|
Intermediate

Yeah the half roll of tape is just my way of testing it out, gonna order a cable with the new oil lines. Too much to risk to cheap out now. Once again I really appreciate all the help fellas. Ever in Arkansas to ride the pig trail, stop by to grab a cold one, it's right in my back yard.😎
​​​​​​
​​

Old 07-24-2018 | 10:13 AM
rquest
Road Master

Yeah the half roll of tape is just my way of testing it out, gonna order a cable with the new oil lines. Too much to risk to cheap out now. Once again I really appreciate all the help fellas. Ever in Arkansas to ride the pig trail, stop by to grab a cold one, it's right in my back yard.��
​​​​​​
​​
Not sure what oil lines you are talking about, I'm assuming their some type of metal tubing BUT if they are rubber hoses make sure you use something that is pressure rated, air conditioning lines/hoses will also work if they are the correct diameter.

Last edited by rquest; 07-24-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2018 | 11:39 AM
2003flstfi
|
Intermediate

The supply line is leaking where it connects to the crankcase. O-ring I assume. The return line is leaking from the braided steel section, where it had arced off the tranny. They are the original chrome lines. Can't seem to find any online that are formed to avoid the hot spots, anyone running the aftermarket stainless steel braided? Looking for quality, don't want to have to repeat the process anytime soon. Thanks

Old 07-28-2018 | 09:55 PM
2003flstfi
|
Intermediate

Quick update, I got the oil lines replaced and the short located. No drips, sparks, or excessive cussing. Never been mechanical but this experience was fun. Thanks old enuf, hatt and ranger for the input. By the way the return was fried, burned in two from arcing on the tranny, caused the supply line to leak. Live and learn.

Last edited by 2003flstfi; 07-28-2018 at 09:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hattitude (07-28-2018)