Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Bucking/engine cutting out on 04' night train

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018 | 06:08 AM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Plug wires?

Old 07-30-2018 | 11:14 PM
mshred
|
Road Captain
Angry

Originally Posted by QC
Plug wires?
Been checked multiple times and they are good. Today was reallyyyyy bad, on the highway within 3 minutes it was cutting out so bad that I thought the bucking was going to hurt something somehow. When I got home I went over everything again, this time I also checked for battery voltage running and revved up and I also omh'd out the tps wires to make sure they are all good and have continuity and all checked out fine.

at the point where I'm going to bring it to a mechanic but I'm concerned I'm going to pay all sorts of money for shop time parts and the solution is still not going to be found

Old 08-31-2018 | 06:22 AM
mshred
|
Road Captain

Wanted to update this just in case anyone ever searches with similar problems on their bike...

After trying some of the suggestions here and doing more diagnostic checks, I ended up replacing my intake seals (rear one leaked enough to have me do it) as well as my Idle Air Control sensor- the latter because the bike threw a code for it twice and because based on some of the reading I did, it seemed like the cutting out that was directly related to a too much air surging in and not enough fuel to compensate could have been an IAC issue.

I did both things above, and the bike still ran like a bag of crap...I finally decided to unplug the Power commander from the bike (keep in mind this same issue that is occurring happened when I first got the bike with no power commander installed, power commander helped for about a month, then the issue returned) and the bike is running amazing now! I am not sure what the fix was, or if the power commander was a bad unit (used came with the bike on purchase), but so far after 500kms of riding not one hiccup. Wish I knew what fixed it, but I am going to be looking for a new programmer for the bike now

Old 08-31-2018 | 09:51 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Thanks for the update. Quite interesting. Power Commanders going bad is relatively rare.

Old 08-31-2018 | 10:37 PM
slodsm
Road Master

I was going to suggest pc as well. Glad you found it. Before I built my motor, I was running a power commander with a pro pipe, big sucker, and 510 cams.

Randomly it it backfired on start up one day, started acting as you described yours is, and in order it get it up I was never even able to close the throttle. Had to keep rpms above 2k ish just to keep it running as it bucked and spit everywhere and shut off when I closed the throttle.

Pulled the pc when I got home, the flash had been corrupted somehow and lost its mind. Never put it back in, just went with a TTS mastertune when I built it, so much better.

Old 09-01-2018 | 06:23 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

I had the same cutting out and back on problem at speed and it was the power commander V. I pulled it and had the dealer download the HD stage 1. No problems since and the HD flash really fits my set up well. Very smooth acceleration.

I have vance and hines short shots with performance machine high flow cleaner.

it is strange though how you had the issue before the PC but pulling it solved the problem.

Old 09-02-2018 | 07:53 AM
jkinner
Road Captain

Check out the Vance and Hines FP3, for fuel management, Glad you found the problem, ride safe.

Old 09-03-2018 | 10:41 PM
mshred
|
Road Captain

It's really weird that I had the issue before and then installing the pc helped for a bit, then stopped helping again and now unplugging it has things how they should be. I'm really not thrilled about having to replace the PC but at this stage it's the only other thing I can try as the bike does need a tune (I can feel it getting quite hot between my legs quite quickly now that it's running quite lean).

Not sure of all the options out there and which are the most reliable/cost effective. So far there is another power commander (although I'd be reluctant to buy another at this point), the v&h fuel pack, a dealer flash tune (I like the idea it doesn't involve and external plug and play unit), and the fuel moto stuff...I have to look into the TTS master tune and other optoins ins well still.

thanks for all the help and feedback everyone!