Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocating foot peg mount and exhaust question ‘18 Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 01:05 PM
Silentlight
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating foot peg mount and exhaust question ‘18 Fat Bob

Hi everyone,
Reposting here after putting it up on the Dyna page.

The '18 Fat Bob is my first Harley and I love it! Coming from BMW, Triumph and crotch rockets before that, I'm still learning this bike after 140 miles.

I just installed the VH Short Shots on my Fat Bob and have been struggling to figure out a couple of things regarding the rear foot peg mounts.

1. Can't remove the mounts even with an impact drill. My buddy suggests either an airgun or it might need heat due to locktite?
2. Even if I get the mounts off the bike, and the other from the stock exhaust bracket which is now off the bike, where can i place them? Is the hole with the plastic cover suitable with the stock bolts?
3. Will my bike be running too lean or rich with just the SS pipes added? Wondering if I will need to get it tuned or a power commander to correct the air/fuel mix.

Thanks in advance!
Mark

Old 07-04-2018, 11:02 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Use a long breaker bar for the foot peg bolt. I had an impact but the breaker bar works better.

Yes, take out that black plug, your foot mount bolt will thread in there. You may want to reposition the one on the other side of the bike so they are both in the same spot.

I would tune the bike.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:52 AM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 442 Likes on 321 Posts

On my Fat Boy I had quite a time getting them off. They have a white thread "lock" on them. At first I thought I was rounding the head and so I bought a Snap-on T45 extra long bit that fit a little tighter than my other T45 key wrench. It's advertised as a Torx Plus but does not have the TP designation on the Socket, and I have an OTC TP45 bit that will not fit in the head of the bolt (after removing it). But the T45 (Torx Plus?) Snap-on bit does. I'm going on about this because the bolts just seemed to be a little "off". And it took some trial and error to get a bit to fit in them tightly. And they are so tight I believe they could be rounded off if something less than a good tight fit between tool and bolt is achieved.
I ended up using an impact drill too, and then a breaker bar to turn them out. They remained tight nearly all the way out because of the substance that Harley used on them to keep them tight.
Good luck!

Old 07-06-2018, 12:52 AM
IGotYourFatBob
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m in the exact same situation, for the same reason. They said the short shots would require no passenger foot peg removal or relocation. Well **** on me, but I just had to order relocation brackets and new foot pegs. Btw, as far as the tuning goes, I also installed the V&H Fuelpak 3 auto tuner. That thing is awesome!