Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Softail Deluxe project

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 741 Likes on 410 Posts
Default 2016 Softail Deluxe project

I recently took on a new project I thought I'd share here.

The bike was purchased by Willi, a good friend of my old boss, damaged from an apparent relatively minor collision. Willi started disassembling it, but became sick. He was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer and a few months later he was gone, 52 years old.

Willi's widow and kids now owned a partially disassembled Harley that needed to be reassembled and sold. My old boss called me as he knew I had experience working on Harley's, and asked me to finish the bike to be sold.

When I received it, it was partially disassembled. The fenders and trim were all removed and the exhaust was damaged. I got a box of parts with the bike, but its very apparent that I'm missing a lot of little stuff. I assume there's another box of parts somewhere, but its nowhere to be found.

After cleaning all the dust off of it and figuring out what I was up against.

I pulled the rest of the damaged parts off. I ended up ordering a new rear fender, and the body shop my old boss owns fixed the minor damage to the tank and front fender. We debated on colors a bit, I recommended something simple, but the painter wanted to do a 2 tone similar to stock, but with different colors. In the end I left it up to him, and he came up with a combo of black with a brown pearl topcoat, and gold side panels, separated by an orangish gold pinstripe buried under tons of clear. Pictures don't do it justice.

Here's the point I'm at now. I've got some of the trim, and am waiting for the next order of parts to arrive. I've got a Vance & Hines True Dual setup that will be going on.

I thought I'd share it here partially just cause I like seeing other peoples projects, and also I'm going to probably have some questions as I'm assembling a bike that I didn't take apart and I'm missing pieces. I'll probably have a few questions, especially for Softail Deluxe owners.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:12 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Doesn’t look like it’s missing much, you look to be close to having it complete. I love th color combo, looks great.

I am assuming everything is straight, no frame damage?

Good luck to the family, I hope they get everything out of it they need on the sale.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 741 Likes on 410 Posts

Frame/fork is straight. I'm not missing much at this point, just little things like the mount for the taillamp, seat, and rack. It also came with HD saddlebags that I don't appear to have hardware for either.