Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:24 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

ORIGINAL: rajvirdee

I passed my test and bought an 07 Fatboy for my first bike - 850 mile on and all is well.

I LOVE THIS BIKE !

(nb - its very stable and solid, just don't go too fast round the twisties !)

Good luck
I sure hope they taught you to "reverse steer" aka "counter-steer" it, right? You push the handle bar forward on the side you want to turn toward which is actually pressing the front wheel slightly opposite of the way you want to go. Correct?

That Fatboy will corner really well; well enough to scrape parts on the bike.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:01 PM
FLSTNI06
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's all about comfort...As a chick,I my biggest concern wasn't the power of the Big Twin (as most seem to think), but handling the weight of a full size 700+ pound Harley. I took the basic riding course andthen started on a smaller bike (@400 pounds)that I could easily hold up (read to mean that I could prevent it from falling over with reasonable ease while I was getting used to parking lot drills) until I got comfortable with my skills and then went on to the full size.

As others have suggested, getting an inexpensive used bike is a great idea...even better, some dealers have "progression options" where they'll let you purchase a sportster, for example, and then trade it for a big twin later while giving you 100% credit for the original price of the sporty so you don't have to worry about wasting money on a losswhen you're ready for something more.

Remember, just about anyone can ride a bike once you get going, but it's that slow and tight maneuvering that's tough. If you're comfy doing that on a Fatboy from the start, knock yourself out...otherwise, stick with something that isn't as heavy, spend much time in parking lots and some gravel, do lots of leg presses, and then trade up...

Good luck!

[IMG]local://upfiles/36259/C6D186279CC44DFDB60DD68CAAFF00D3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-01-2007, 06:31 PM
rajvirdee
Novice

JBAKER - thank you so much

I couldn't undertand your suggestion so went out on the Fatty to see - you're dead right!

Its something you never realise until you try...

Nice one

Old 07-01-2007, 08:38 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: JBaker421

I sure hope they taught you to "reverse steer" aka "counter-steer" it, right? You push the handle bar forward on the side you want to turn toward which is actually pressing the front wheel slightly opposite of the way you want to go. Correct?

That Fatboy will corner really well; well enough to scrape parts on the bike.
ORIGINAL: rajvirdee

JBAKER - thank you so much

I couldn't undertand your suggestion so went out on the Fatty to see - you're dead right!

Its something you never realise until you try...

Nice one
Welcome. I hope they teach that in all these rider safety courses. Every time I hear of an accident where "rider failed to negotiate a turn" I wonder.

It's based onfour principles: Centrifugal force, gyroscopic precession,"The Dixie Cup Theory" and leverage.

1. Centifugal force will try to force the bike off the road to the outside in a turn.

2. Gyroscopic precession (ever play with a toy gyroscope?) will cause the wheels to generate unwanted and opposingforces when turned.

3. The real kicker, the Dixie Cups is like this. Lay such a cup on it's side on a table and roll it. It will turn toward the bottom of the cup because the drinking lip is bigger in diameter than the base.

4. Leverage. Your handlebar is a lever.

Now, tape twoDixie Cups or similar cupstogether, drinking rims together and bases pointing outward.Lay them on a table. Roll this new device. It will turn in the direction that it is tipped; toward either base. Your tire is just like that; bigger in the middle than toward the edges.

Whichever way your tires tip is the direction the bike will go. The counter-steer just gives you theleverage to tip it and the "Dixie Cup Theory" does the rest. This need to turn to the outside edge of the tire overcomes precession, centrifugal force and even the clearfact that your front wheel is slightly turned opposite of the way you wish to turn.

The handlebars are terrific levers which, out at the grips give you the power to tip that bike with ease, class, and total control.

You exit a turn the same way. Push forward on the handlebar in the newdirection you want to go. The bike will straighten right up for you. You can do wonderful "S" turns or slalom turns this way with ease.

I can safely and easily scrapesome shined up parts on your Harley in a sharp corner any day if the road is sound, dry and clean.

Stay safe,

JB

Old 07-01-2007, 09:49 PM
blackdeuce
Novice

Guess I will chime in. Bought a Deuce at 45,30 years after selling my dirt bike. Took the riders safety course. Absolutely no regrets after a year of riding. Just take it easy, stay within your limits and your comfort zone. It may be your comfort zone is to start with a smaller bike, nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't know cause I had a pile of smaller ones to drop before this one. Kinda glad Ilearned fromsome mistakes withlighter, more maneuverable bikes first, so I managed to keep it up the other day when I was surprised theconstruction gravel on a turn that never had gravel before.

Rode my Sporty to the dealer, and this baby away from the dealer. I was quite wobbly on it for a couple of days. After that it seemed easier than the Sporty was.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
gsimerma@amfam.com
Advanced

Unibomber gave you sound advise. I got my first bike - an 07 Fat Boy three months ago. Started out on a friends 125 dirt. Rode it quite a bit. It helped me get used to riding and got my confidence up. I then took the riders class. Then practiced on my bike. Put 140 miles on it and didn't get over 1 mile from home. We have a city park next door with curvy paved roads in it. I then ventured out a bit, then a bit more, continuing to practice in the park.I now have about 3,000 miles under my belt. As most have said take it slow and easy. You'll know what you are comfortable with and what you not. One bit of advise - be carefull when riding with experianced riders. Then will tend to go faster than what you will be comfortable with - don't push it just to keep up. Falling behind is better than dumping your bike off the side of the road. Good luck and enjoy - it's a blast!

Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM
pgrtag
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. I hope they teach that in all these rider safety courses. Every time I hear of an accident where "rider failed to negotiate a turn" I wonder.

It's based onfour principles: Centrifugal force, gyroscopic precession,"The Dixie Cup Theory" and leverage.

1. Centifugal force will try to force the bike off the road to the outside in a turn.

2. Gyroscopic precession (ever play with a toy gyroscope?) will cause the wheels to generate unwanted and opposingforces when turned.

3. The real kicker, the Dixie Cups is like this. Lay such a cup on it's side on a table and roll it. It will turn toward the bottom of the cup because the drinking lip is bigger in diameter than the base.

4. Leverage. Your handlebar is a lever.

Now, tape twoDixie Cups or similar cupstogether, drinking rims together and bases pointing outward.Lay them on a table. Roll this new device. It will turn in the direction that it is tipped; toward either base. Your tire is just like that; bigger in the middle than toward the edges.

Whichever way your tires tip is the direction the bike will go. The counter-steer just gives you theleverage to tip it and the "Dixie Cup Theory" does the rest. This need to turn to the outside edge of the tire overcomes precession, centrifugal force and even the clearfact that your front wheel is slightly turned opposite of the way you wish to turn.

The handlebars are terrific levers which, out at the grips give you the power to tip that bike with ease, class, and total control.

You exit a turn the same way. Push forward on the handlebar in the newdirection you want to go. The bike will straighten right up for you. You can do wonderful "S" turns or slalom turns this way with ease.

I can safely and easily scrapesome shined up parts on your Harley in a sharp corner any day if the road is sound, dry and clean.

Stay safe,

JB
hello all I'm the guy that started this post a couple weeks ago and I have to say that this is the best written explination for the whole turning thing. I mean in my head I understood it and read about it in the book and had seen it. So it made sense. But to see it written like this, Thanks!!!

Oh by the way, the Fatboy gets delivered on Thursday. It's going to sit in the gararge for a few days till I finish the course. Yeah I know I'm taking a chance that it might be too much bike.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
great pumpkin
Novice

I did it... my first bike was/is a Heritage. I was 55 when I climbed aboard. Took the course, practiced in the parking lots until I felt confident. Took my road test on a scooter and I'm currently in my 4th riding season. I"ve logged 8K miles over all. Haven't dropped it yet...knock wood.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: pgrtag

hello all I'm the guy that started this post a couple weeks ago and I have to say that this is the best written explination for the whole turning thing. I mean in my head I understood it and read about it in the book and had seen it. So it made sense. But to see it written like this, Thanks!!!

Oh by the way, the Fatboy gets delivered on Thursday. It's going to sit in the gararge for a few days till I finish the course. Yeah I know I'm taking a chance that it might be too much bike.
Welcome. Ride safe. You'll do just fine. The bigger the bike the smoother it is. It'll take bumps better, have plenty of power and just serve you really well. Go easy until you build some experience but you will just be one of tens of millions of folks with large bikes. If they can do it you can too.

Quick Reply: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?