Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:31 PM
brrobin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

I asked that same question about a month ago before I bought my NT. I thought it would be to much bike. I had also taken the MSF course prior to getting my liscence. I did not want to waste time and money bumping up bikes. I bought my NT and picked it up last week. I have driven it every chance the weather lets me. I just stayed on the side streets and then the country roads till I felt a little more comfortable to get in some traffic. I live right south of Chicago so I usually just head south up north is just to crazy for me in a car let alone on a bike. I still only have 300 miles on my bike, but I feel comfortable and do not think it is to much to handle. The MSF course really prepares you for real life situations. I remember doing the quick breaking exercises out on the range. The other day I got to put them to the test. Was doing about 40 and had a deer run right out in front of me. Stopped it on a dime, THANKS MSF! My one week old riding experience BUY THE BIKE YOU WANT and take it easy! That probaly isnt even worth two cents though.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
loader
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: pgrtag

I'm still drooling over the bike. I had to go look and sit on one during my lunch break. Can't wait to take the course! One month to go!
Get on it -
Build some skill, Graduate the MSF, get a fatty, tool around the back roads be fore ya know it it will be second nature

San Diego is a nice place to ride...

Old 06-26-2007, 07:13 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Is Ann Jolie too much for anybody's first time????

Mimo.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My first bike...EVER was a 2003 FatBoy. Never rode prior to that. Never dropped the bike, and racked up over 14,000 miles in under a year and a half. Traded it for an Ultra in 06. Already have 23,000 on that one..

Wife took MSF course last June, Came home to a new 2006 Deluxe. Never rode prior to that day, and racked up over 3000 miles between July 1 and Nov 1..

its all about learning the right way. practice in a school parking lot during the summer months, you'll have lots of room to manuver, and to practice whast you learned in class.

By the way, I took MSF 3 weeks AFTER buying the FatBoy (first class I could get) and rode to work the day we started class as I was having surgery the following Monday. Ride to work....106 miles round trip, 90% freeway...What a BLAST!!

Old 06-27-2007, 04:33 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

I was exactly in the same situation as you. So many different opinions; and you know what, in the end the only opinion that matters is your own. I was told by someone who owned a v-rod that the FatBoy was too big a bike for a new rider. He told me I should get a small beater bike and ride it for 20,000 miles before buying a Harley. I thought he was crazy. I took the MSF and got my M1 license. I went out and bought a new 06' FatBoy. I practiced in a parking lot, around the block, and then the back streets. Just take your time, and ride like your invisible, assume nothing, and always look where you want to go. The size of the bike means nothing if you are not riding smart and safe it doesn't matter what you ride. I read a few post here that mention size, I see you are 6' @ 200lbs you should have no problem. I'm 5'2" @ 140lbs. I obey every rule I've learned in the MSF class and have had no issues on the road and I'm not talking rural areas I live in a city of 204,000 just outside of San Francisco and San Jose and I ride to work every day. The guy that told me I should ride 20k miles first on a small bike lives in a rural area so I'm sure it took him a long time to build up his skills driving in a straight line. I see you live in El Cajon near SD, it's not to congested there but it's also not the sticks, you'll learn fast. I just feel that if someone rode in a city like LA for 200 miles it's equal to someone riding 2000 miles in rural Montana.

Get the FatBoy, no need to work your way up just get the bike you like. Ride safe.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:37 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, getting too old for the 'busa I think. Bike started scaring me... well not the bike, started convincing myself it was dangerous and plus I just HAD to wheelie of every green light and had to race every jap sportsbike that pulled up next to me. No control. I don't race anybody on the Harley (only because I don't expect to win) so am much safer That was originally why I got it BUT I had no idea I would like Harleys as much as I do. Apart from the turbo, a dozen rear tires, and a re-spray after I dropped it on an ice cold road one night, I didn't spend any money on the busa as I don't think I was that into. I like the Harley HEAPS more... it is WAY cooler (well in the way I think is cool) and I am really enjoying customising it.

It's amazing how few people give you dirty looks when you cut in front of them in traffic on a Harley as opposed to the Jap bikes too Buy a Harley, get an attitude for free

DeanO

Old 06-27-2007, 06:43 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a motorbike courier back in the late 80's in Sydney Central Business District was a good introduction to road bike riding... then again most of the cab drivers then spoke English and could drive and so was probably a tad safer than today.

Funnily enough, hired an old Australian movie with Colin Friels last month called "grevious bodily harm". I am there watching it and as they (Colin Friels and another actor) are crossing the road down near Circular Quay (Sydney Opera House) this motorbike courier on a GS650G rides past which I immediately recognised as myself. That was a blast from the past.

Anybody got a time machine to take me back to the 80's?

DeanO

Old 06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
eravo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me it's not too much Bike! I made the mistake of buying something smaller and 6 months later I was buying a softail Deluxe. Just buy the Fatboy and ride the back streets until you feel comfortable. I found when I went to a bigger bike it rides better also...

Old 06-27-2007, 08:19 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im my option Fat Boy is a great bike to get your legs back on. They are well balanced, easy to handle JUST STAY WITHIN YOURSELF until your fully comfortable, unless of course your a 120 lbs 5'2" short leg geek they I would reccomend a schwinn

Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BULLSHIT

Once you know how to ride a bike, you always will know how..

Get the Fat F'n Boy and just ride it, you will get used to the Harley in a weeks time... then you can ride for months and years and more years after that

Have Fun, Keep Safe

Quick Reply: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?