Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

My first big bike after only riding a Kawasaki dirt bike 175 was a Low Rider Custom - 1992 model. That bike was too big for me. I ended up selling it and got an 883 Sprotster, which fit much better. You have the size and likely the strength to handle a Fat Boy. I now am about your size, after having beenworking out for a few yearsand have been riding quite a bit for the last 15. I feel real comfortable on my 07 Fat Boy. One option that if I were you to seriously consider is: buy an older Sporster - youcan get one for $3,500 and up. Ride it for six months, sell it and then get the Fat Boy. This will get your "sea legs" back and help you ride with conficence. Tunaman's points are good as well, but I will pat him on the back and say that anyone who can ride a Kawi 500 tripple CAN RIDE. Those bikes were had a power burst that is not for the faint of heart.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think a Fatboy should be fine for a first bike. Especially since you have been on a bike before. It doesn't matter that it was a long time ago. Once you have the concept of how to ride a motorcycle and use the clutch, gears, and throttle, you can do it on pretty much anything. The different bikes will feel different while riding them, but it's all the same concept. The Fatboy has a low center of gravity and a low seat height. Youseat sits youdown in the frame on a softail as opposed to on top of the bike like a Sporster does. It will make you feel like you have more control over the bike. You could also lower it right away to put you a little closer to the ground. That would give you a little more stability when you come to a stop or go to take off. You might also want to look into a different seat. I don't ride a 2007 Fatboy, but I've sat on them. My dad has a 2000 Fatboy and his is much narrower than the new ones. The 2007s have the 200mm rear tire so they fattened the fender and seat. I don't know if all the seats you can get for the '07s are going to be that fat or not. I would at least look into it. That will also help you get your feet on the ground easier and probably be more comfortable. I got my first dirtbike when I was 6 years old and raced motocross for 12 years. The first street bike I ever rode was my Dad's Fatboy when he first got it. He took me for a short ride with me on the back and then asked if I wanted to I wanted to drive. I was 17 at the time and I'm sure it looked pretty funny with me up front and my dad on the back. So I'm thinkin' that if I could learn to ride a dirtbike at 6 years old and then ride a Fatboy with a person on the back my first time on a street bike, you should have no problem riding a Fatboy. Alright, I've rambled on enough. Good luck with your decision and on taking the course. Post some pictures when you bring your new baby home.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:58 PM
boone432
Road Captain

yes, go with the fatboy. My first bike was a sportster 883. just because i thought that would be a good bike to learn on. i bought it at the end of april 06, and by the end of may i wanted something else. on july 2 06, i had my night train. big waste of time for me to get the sportster. luckily for me a guy at work loved my sporty and bought it as son as i mentioned selling it. So, save yourself some time on a not so great bike, and the hassle of selling it, and just go with the fatboy. if anything buy the fatboy, and a couple hundred dollar learner bike.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:05 PM
clueless
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will chime in on the other side and say borrow a small bike first. this guy last weekend at the advanced course seemed like he had been riding a while, he dropped his bike pulling into the staging area and then they finally waived him off after the first skill lesson.

I know of TWO people who bought big bikes and both are thinking of selling after they sat in their garage for 2 years... they got out and almost dropped it at various times and got scared of riding the bikes. One girl and one guy. Both had bikes that were the right size for them if they had more experience.

I look back and see those few time (think when you were in the car and had to panic stop or swerve and it wasnt due to you at all but the other driver stopping short ... ect). If you have a small bike and learn how to deal with it you will be much much much better prepped when it happens on the Fat boy.

Hey dmac - why not keep both! I did (300 hp turbo busa sits next to my Harley Fat boy)

Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
cabbage
Tourer

my RKC is my first bike since college, when i weilded some yamaha 650 street bike thing i picked up for $200. Im now 43 and got a RKC about a month and 1100 miles ago! After 5 miles astride the mighty king, i felt pretty comfy cozy. I havent taken a class, but i did do some dirtbile riding just prior to grabbing my permit and buying the RKC.

bottom line, its part of me now, not hard at all to drive or deal with. i havent had any drops or near drops of the bike. bottom line is:

YOU CAN DOOOOO IT!

Old 06-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Lightngsvt
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 16 Posts

I started street riding on a GS500e, then went to a Kaw ZX6 and rode that for nearly 5 years. I then took 7+ years off from riding and last year bought an 04 Sportster 1200R with stage 1. Last Thursday I brought my new Deluxe home after trading the Sporty. The Softails ride so nice and are so well balanced that if you are smart and cautious you should be fine after getting your license. Liek others have said you do feel the weight in slow speed maneuveriung and stopping, but not once at speed, so just be extra aware of what you want the bike to do when going slow. My old stage 1 Sporty felt much faster than the stock 07 BT but the power is much smoother and easy to modulate on the Deluxe. Take the course and see what you feel comfortable with when you are done.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:49 PM
pgrtag
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still drooling over the bike. I had to go look and sit on one during my lunch break. Can't wait to take the course! One month to go!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Unibomber

Dude, get what u want !!!! But, find a buddies dirt bike 125cc or something small and ride it until your so familiar with the controls and the handleing you get bored with it. Then start on your fatboy. Dont make the mistake of getting a street bike you dont want....They are to much $$$ to make that mistake. My first street bike was and is my springer. I just got off dirt bikes though, so it was cake.
Gorgeous Springer there...

Old 06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
scooter1369
Cruiser

Ok here is my what happened to me....

Took the Riders Edge Class (MSF)...

Rented a Duece a month later...

Dropped the Duece after 20 minutes in a Parking lot...

Picked it up after 5 seconds of looking at it...

Returned the Duce after putting 200 miles on it in one day...

Went to dealer and got me a Fatboy as soon as the money was there...

I think you can do it. I would hate to buy a smaller bike then after a month of riding knowing that you could/can handle the Dream Bike....sometimes you should just believe in yourself.

BTW...Welcome...I think you will find this place to be a great help.

dar

Old 06-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Demkay
Road Master

Dude, Just do what I did. ...... Take 20k and give it to the dealer......... You won't drop the bike.

Btw, It cost me a lot more as I got screwed on European prices, and I've dropped the sucker like 3 or 4 times. But only at standstill and really really slow speeds......... Don't worry about it, for some reason dropping a '07 does very little damage, lol. Floorboards just go up a little.

Quick Reply: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?