Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:20 AM
jigman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

For what its worth I bought a 650 shadow and regretted it in about 1 month -too late. That was back in 1995 I lost my job and the bike was repossessed. Life went downhill for a while. Got new job, got new wife, got new 2006 Dyna Streetbob. Wife got a Yamaha (Star 650) she's a girly-girl. She got a new 2007 deluxe within 2 months. She loves her deluxe and actually feels safer and more confident on it than the VStar. Its weird. Though I had my Shadow for only about 3 months, I didnt ride again for ten years, then bought bob which I then trade in on the deluxe within 2 months. Funny thing is: neither my wife nor I would change a thing. Its easy to say after the fact: "Oh yeah I shouldda just bought my last bike first - but it aint that simple. My wife was scared of her lil vstar as was I of the 650 shadow. Hell, we had friends drive them home for us. Then we drove them out to the end of the driveway when the neighbours werent lookin - then over to the school parking lot - then the neighborhood - then the backroads, then the freeways. The big twin looked mosnstrous and impossible (if not stupid) to ua when we were newbies. I advise all newbies to get a smaller cheaper bike first because whatever you lose in money spent, is worth the confidence you build - in the right way. I know people that bought too much bike and it scared them so much they quit alltogether. Just sat in the garage. Hell, I dropped my bob stupidly during my endorsement test on the u-turn. Didnt hurt me or the bike but man was my pridde in the toilet. Got the deluxe took the test on it and aced it no problem. The fall on the u-turn was just one of those stupid things you can't even explain - I was already a decent rider by then - but had jsut staged oned it and didnt have the Injectors quite right and the damn thing surged on me at the wrong time. Wife hasnt taken her test yet but I think shell do fine. I do agree with the above opinion that time on the streets is everything. Driving in traffic and awareness of all the idiots out there is critical. Almost everyone drops their bike at one time or another - even longtime veterans. I almost dropped mine in the garage a couple months ago but caught it just before the point of no return. You need whatever bike your not a scared of. And if you have to ask if its the fatboy-that means yer a skeered. Geta 650 for a month then get a fatboy. thats my advice and jsut about everyone else i ride with - new, old and in between. Have fun whatever you do.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

Yea, if you're really worried about dropping it while learning, you could get crash bars (both front and rear) and even tape foam around them or anything to keep from scratching them up in the event that you did drop it. I'm just talking about with your parking lot practice at very first, so don't worry about anyone seeing you going down the road with your foam crash bars.
Ditto. I put my foot down to stop in the garage once on my Heritage Classic. My foot came down on a piece of newspaper and for some reason that was slippery. The bike fell down. Fortunately it had front and rear crash bars and no harm was done at all. Not only didn't it scratch the bike, but it was easier to stand the bike back up because it didn't fall all the way down.

Mind you, the bike was stopped.

Having said that, I think a big bike is easier and more comfortable to ride (once you learn how to ride) than a small bike, especially on the highway. Just like the difference between a VW bug and big car. It just takes bumps and wind and all else better. It rides better, I think.

I started out years ago on small bikes. Now, I don't even think of my Harleys as big. They seem normal.

My wife is taking the safety course next month. She has claimed our red Wide Glide for herself. Pic below. I have no problem with it. She's never ridden. It's all her idea, but she'll do fine. (She's 5' 9", long legs so the taller Glide won't be a problem.) Hey, she likes red.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:45 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NOt ideal but certainly doable. Unless you're a wimp.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:03 AM
jcoers
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the MSF course 3 weeks ago. I picked up my Deluxe a week ago. I certainly understand your question.

The Deluxe is my first bike. I have been taking it very easy and am building confidence. I've put 350 miles on the bike in the first week.

The rider course had me on a little Suzuki 250. It was a huge leap when I got on the Deluxe, but if you take it easy and really work on controlling the power with your clutch, it can be done without any trauma.

I say go for it, just keep it under control. Your clutch is your friend.

By the way, the ride home from the dealer was 60 miles and my first time in traffic. Just take it easy and keep your engine under control.

John

[IMG]local://upfiles/32021/8CFD10CA58CA4CF2AABBAFE3482A1E77.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Hadn't been on a bike in 15 years. Got an 07 Fat Boy. Just ease it in. After just riding around the neighborhood for a week or so. In less than 3 months I have over 3000 miles. Have been on 200-300 mile runs. Next week is my 40th B-Day. Plan on putting on another 1000 next week!! It is an easier bike to get to know. You are riding up on it instead of in it I feel. Shoot, I already want a soft tail custom too with apes and extended controls to spread out!! Of course keep my Fat Boy too!!

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My personal experience is absolutely not. I like you had not ridden a bike since my teen years and a dirt bike at that. Last March I decided to get a bike after getting some personal instuction from an MSF instructor an obtaining my license. A week later I picked up a 2004 Fatboy, picked up some good quality riding gear, took the MSF class in June and enjoyed the he!! out of it ever since. My butt gets some serious seat time as I've racked up 18k miles so far. If I had it to do all over again I'd to the same thing. The Fatboy handles like a dream. Just take it easy and practice what you learned in the MSF course. I bet you will have the same on your face I've had the past fifteen months. Most importantly be safe, ride within your limits, and enjoy the ride.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

G'day,

No a fatboy is an easy first bike as long as you are not physically small. They only have about 70hp and have a low centre of gravity so are pretty easy to ride. I wouldn't go getting on a turbo Hayabusa anytime soon though.... funnily enough I went from a 390hp turbo hayabusa to a 75hp Fatboy by choice If you have to learn to ride, you may as well look cool doing it.

DeanO

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM
firespy999
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New rider - you WILL drop your bike at some stage. My advice is this whatever you do DON'T repeat DON'T do a U turnon a STEEP HILL cos if you do over you will go!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:33 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, get what u want !!!! But, find a buddies dirt bike 125cc or something small and ride it until your so familiar with the controls and the handleing you get bored with it. Then start on your fatboy. Dont make the mistake of getting a street bike you dont want....They are to much $$$ to make that mistake. My first street bike was and is my springer. I just got off dirt bikes though, so it was cake.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Chucky
Cruiser

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I agree with the many go for it but be careful comments.

I had some sort of Yamaha mini motorcycle when I was 14 that I learned to shift and basic ride. At 47, I decided to ride a motorcycle and took the MSF Riders course, passed and received my license, and immediately bought a new 1200 Custom Sportster. I rode it very carefully for a year (had Stage 1 done), then got a great deal on a 2004 Fatboy from a guy who was upgrading to an Ultra Classic. I rode the Fatboy, along with the Sportster, for my second year. I sold the Sportster (expensive lesson) last spring and am now in my third year of riding, with the Fatboy. I live in a suburb of Boston, so the traffic is crazy. I ride carefully and have had no problems. For all of its power (Fatboy is fuel injected, V&H pipes, PC III, custom dyno map) I find the Fatboy to be a dog compared to the Sportster, at least light to light in town. I also find the Fatboy much easier to ride. It sits much lower with a lower center of gravity and handles great both in traffic and on the open road. It is heavy and not nearly as easy to throw around as the Sportster (which is not small compared to the MSF course bikes), so be extra careful about keeping it balanced at stops etc. My wife rides on the back infrequently, and I find I need to be even more careful at stops with a passenger. If you stop and the passenger leans off center, you need to be ready to keep all that weight balanced. It is easy to keep the Fatboy balanced, but you need to be careful about being sloppy when at low speeds or stopped. Many stories of dropped bikes that I read on the forums seem to happen in the parking lot or driveway.

If you want a Fatboy, I would go for it and be extra careful. I guess being extra careful is always good advice even for very experienced riders.

Best of luck with it.

Quick Reply: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?