Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 AM
pgrtag
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Thanks everyone. This all helps. Yes the course includes two days riding and one evening in the classroom. I know that after I take the course, that will help me in my decision. But I see there's two sides to this. I like the parking lot thing just to get used to it and I know it's not the same as riding in traffic.

The following users liked this post:
Tony31 (10-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 AM
07FLSTC_Navy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a "buddy" that will let you borrow their bike to take the safety course? There's 2 trains of thoughts on this. Some will tell you that it's better to take the safety course on the bike you're going to be riding. Butyou haven't ridden for 30 years and the safety course isn't a cake walk. Everyone I know (military) that have taken the course always used a loaner bike. Then took their own bike back for the MSF Experienced Rider Course a year later.

In the meantime, assuming you have your permit already, get on a bike and start practicing. Start in the parking lots. Driving fast is easy. The fastest you'll go in theMSF Basic Rider Courseis 10-15mph. Starting/stopping/cornering/u-turns, etc.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:50 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

I think it depends alot on a couple of variables:
[ul][*]your physical stature[*]your previous riding experience[/ul]
I got my '07 Fat Boy two weeks ago, after not having been on a bike in about 10 years. However, I grew up racing motocross from 12 - 17, and rode rice burners (Kawasaki 350 & 500 triples, Z1R 1000) from 17 - 27. I hadn't had a bike for several years when, at 37, I bought another rice burner (Kawasaki ZX600) and rode for about a year. Now at 46 I've bought a Fat Boy, but it all came rushing back as soon as I took it around the dealer's building for the first time.

The Fat Boy is a heavy bike, and has plenty of power. If you're big enough to hold it up, that shouldn't be an issue. The power is very smooth and easy to control, so it's simple enough to hold it back. They are cruisers, not racers, although they have plenty of power to get you in trouble if you're so inclined.

You might be best off to see about renting one for a couple of days or so? I thought about it, but opted to just buy one instead.

Good luck!
Roger

Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 AM
pgrtag
6th Gear

I don't have my permit or bike. The course here in San Diego lets you use their bikes. Buell 250... Not sure anyone would let me ride there bike but I can ask. I'm 6' 200lbs. I thought about renting one. I think that after I take the course and ride one and get a feel for the weight while riding and stopping then I'll have a better feel.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

That Fatboy in my sig is the bike I learned on. I hadn't even ridden a dirtbike before. It's not too much bike, at all, to learn on. Take it slow and at your own pace, and you'll be fine. Don't let anyone rush you, and don't hit the road until you're confident. I taught myself, and haven't taken a course so you're on a better track than I went even. I think you'll be totally fine as long as you take it easy until you are comfortable.

Tony31 (10-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2007, 01:56 AM
pgrtag
6th Gear

All my friends tell me I'm over thinking this decision. [:@]

Tony31 (10-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2007, 05:38 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, yes. Most people like me who grew up riding bikes will say start small and dirt experience helps...and nobody ever listens to this advice.

But, I realize it can be expensive and a PIA to buy a small bike just to learn on. I have know people to get 160hp sportbikes as their first bikes and they survived. If you are mature and ride within your limits you should be OK. I'd buy a crash bar to make sure your bike survives your riding lessons.

Tony31 (10-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2007, 06:03 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

Yea, if you're really worried about dropping it while learning, you could get crash bars (both front and rear) and even tape foam around them or anything to keep from scratching them up in the event that you did drop it. I'm just talking about with your parking lot practice at very first, so don't worry about anyone seeing you going down the road with your foam crash bars.

Tony31 (10-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Mawwk
Intermediate

You kind of sound like me last year. I was fifty, in August I took the H-D Riders Edge program and the very next week I bought a 06 Fatboy. I have just turned over 8300 miles on it last night. Just take it easy at first. They say if you are going to have an incident on a bike, it will probably happen in the first five months.
I was amazed to see how much more confident I was after five months than after three months. I have had no incidents, but when I look back and think about those first few months I was a little more shakey on it than I realized at the time.
I think the toughest thing I had with the fatboy was maneuvering it at a very slow speed, if you were to turn the handlebars too sharpe, you could drop it and I have come close several times.

One more thing, the bikes you use in a training program are very light and easy to maneuver, so it will be a big jump to a fatboy.
I say from experiance, go for it.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:24 AM
kry226
Advanced

I say go for the Fat Boy.

I started out on a Virago 250, sold it for $2,000-lost $600. Bought a Shadow 1100 for $8,000. Sold it for $5,000 four years later. I feel I was really lucky to get what I got for those bikes on resale, but you may not be that lucky. And in all reality, theVirago washarder to ride than the bigger bikes.

Take it easy and smart and you should do well. Ride like you're invisible.

Quick Reply: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?