Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
gunner065
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

I picked up my '08 FB last week. It had been about 20 yrs since I rode anything. Just prior to getting the fatty, I was having thoughts if it was too much after such a layoff from riding. At 5'6", I was sure that a second seat would be needed. My thoughts were put to rest the minute I drove it off the dealers lot. Everything came back to me. Lovin every minute of it since then.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Dr. Fatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Yamaha FZR600 for about a year when I was 21. I didn't get another bike until 2004 when I got my Fatboy. I had the itch real bad for all those years. I had the same reservations before getting my bike but am real glad that I went with a Fatboy. You and your bike will feel like one in no time at all.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:08 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

If you have more sense in your head now than when you were thirteen......you will do fine.
The bike will only go as fast as you turn the throttle. I can ride my Fatboy as fast as a 'mo-ped'......or even as fast as 50 MPH if I want. YOU control the bike. Go find a fatboy and sit on it if you can (like at a dealer). A softail (which a fatboy is) is a nice riding bike. Easy to equip
to be a decent touring bike as well. If a Fatboy is what you want.......just take it easy......
try not to grin too much. Send us a picture.

Chuck

Old 09-08-2007, 12:28 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im used to a Honda Pan Just bought a Fat Boy which is 45kg heavier than the pan but the weight is very low and you dont notice it.

I is very easy to ride as long as you have good road sence you should be fine.
What you should take into concideration is the power the power is low down like deisel power it just pulls
like a train not fast like a sports bike but loads of grunt if you are confident you can control it you will be find it very easy to ride.

get one and enjoy it

Old 09-09-2007, 02:29 AM
hewhohesit8s
Advanced

Great thread... My story is somewhat similar.I got my M rating at 16 and drove small (100cc) bikes till I left for college. 35 years later, in July,I get the bug, go visit a the local HD dealer and buy an '08Heritage Classic. The firstfew miles were intimidating, but I got the bike home no sweat. My biggest surprise riding the bike was the first time on some back roads when I took that first sweeping turn at 100 kph (60 mph). Ileaned into theturn, but as I tried to lean out of the turn, nothing happened. It took me a (fraction of a)second to initiate the counter-steer to pull out of the turn. Though I had known about counter steering, I had never had to use it (as I recall) on the smaller bikes and had always controlled the bike by leaning. I'v since logged about 2500 miles including a 4 day solo road trip and am having the time of my life.

So my vote is to get the bike you want, but make sure you know the theory and practice, practice, practice.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:46 AM
1CrazyTrain
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

ORIGINAL: pgrtag
Is a Fat Boy too much for a first bike?
No!

Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 AM
fxstbharley2008
Tourer
Default Demo ride a Fatboy!

Right now most dealers are having demo rides.
Get to a dealer that is having a demo ride. If they have a good assortment of Harleys, start your demo ride with may be a dyna, then a softtail standard or custom, then the Fat boy.
I am sure this will help. I just helped a fellow rider decide whichHarley tobuyby doing this same thing.
Be carefull and good luck!

Old 10-21-2022, 01:04 AM
Fat boy Carey
Stage I
Default Love my Fatboy.

Go for it.
Once you have some good quality motorcycle training there's nothing stopping you.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:04 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,879 Likes on 17,363 Posts

Hopefully the OP has ridden enough to get the hang of it CONSIDERING HE'S HAD 15 YEARS TO PRACTICE.

The following 3 users liked this post by OKMICK:
Ob1Jenobe (10-21-2022), SMR65 (10-21-2022), Spivitz (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 08:33 AM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

If it's the bike you want then go for it. Don't settle.

Quick Reply: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?