Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Zzack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?

Jbaker...checked out you sig pic gallery. Great talent! Love your sig... very nice!!!

Name:  Budcopy500.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Zzack
Cruiser

Beginner's bike size all boils down to confidence imo. If you are confident and believe in your ability to handle a big bike I wouldn't waste my money on something small. Go for what you want but realize the power and weight you'll be straddling. Take it easy for a while and get a feel for the bike. On the other hand if you are a little nervous to begin with... no shame in that... maybe a smaller lighter bike is better for starters. Just my take...no warranties or money back offers! Whatever you decide enjoy the ride!

Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
chop09
Tourer

Learning to ride on a fatboy might be the single most stupid thing I haveever read on this forum.I don't care what 2 day course you take, there is a lot to be said for real world practicalriding experience. The idea of a 700 pound 1450cc starter makes me cringe. I guess I'm old school but you'll appreciate and make better use of what a big twin can do when you come up the ranks properly.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

True, you'll appreciate the power after outgrowing a smaller scoot.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM
warddas
Stage I

I just went through this. I rode a Sportster for about 10 years (before kids). I made my self a promise that once my youngest was in high school, I would ride again. I purchased a used sportster early this spring and put about 4000 miles on it this summer after taking a safety course. I just traded it in on an '07 Heritage Classic. This would have been too much bike without getting my reflexes back.

Good luck - Darrell

Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I hadnt ridden for 20 years, but I have many miles under my belt. Metric bikes. My last ride wasa 900 Kawasaki, so its not like I was on small dirt bikes. I just bought an 05 Fatboy and couldnt be happier. Its just like riding a bike, you dont forget.Dont get me wrong, it worked for ME. If your not comfortable on it, go with something smaller and lighter to get the feel back. You dont want to drop it.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 AM
dmac1968
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My theory is that if you would ask that question then it probably is. A large component of how well you would gel with the bike is psychological so if you think it might be too much then initially it probably would be... but having said that and depending on your general ability to adapt to new machinery you may surprise yourself but generally what I am saying is that if you would ask this question, then your confidence level may not be as high as one would like it to be so as not to be distracted by that fact when you should be concentrating on riding and nothing else...

DeanO

ORIGINAL: pgrtag

I am about to buy my first bike. Last time I road was about 30 years ago at the tender age of 13. So here I am wanting to get back on a bike and I want to get a Fatboy. I like the look and the feel of it. I'm about to take the safety course in about a month. I'm just wondering, is a Fatboy too much for a first bike? Thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
chop09
Tourer

Start with a bike that suits a new rider... you'll be much better off in the long run. Nothing replaces time in the saddle and builds confidence better. Can bet your instructor woulld tell you the same.....

Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
mrohman63
6th Gear

Go Fat or Go home. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Seriously- take the course, buy the fatty. You'll be fine; if the idea of it makes you pucker- take the course-rent a sporty-rent a fatty-decide. When I got back in after 10 years off some 15 years ago I started back on a Honda 600 VLX, decent bike, big mistake.

Sporties are awesome bikes, but the fatty is the best I've ever owned. It's my 4th HD and the best yet.

Old 09-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Axeman
Intermediate

Get the bike! I had not ridden anything but dirt as a teen and then after 21 years of no riding at all... bought an 07 Fatty in May. I just got on and started riding. Take it easy. Take your time. Have fun.

BTW... I just put pipes on. V&H Big Shots Staggered. Sounds awesome.

Quick Reply: Is a Fatboy too much for your first bike?