Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage classic vs a heritage deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018 | 07:26 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior

What year/years?

Old 06-25-2018 | 08:35 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
One little thing that hasn't been mentioned, IMHO the black with a minimum amount of chrome is easier to keep clean and looking sharp.
Nah, nah, nah. You know that's not true.

1. Black is always harder to keep clean than any other color. Motorcycle, car, whatever.
2. You have to polish the black just like you have to polish the chrome. Otherwise it's gonna look dirty all the time.
3. I polish the black every time I wash the bike. I polish the chrome about every third time I polish the black. That translates to less work not more.
4. The blacked out fad is definitely more work intensive. And it's also more expensive to buy even though it looks more low budget.
This is all assuming that you detail the bike yourself. However, if you pay someone else to do it then I can see how you'd think that black was easier to maIntain. I'm just sayin', right?

Back in the early 90's my buddy, Evo Pete, rattle-canned his entire Softail Springer with Rustoleum black. I mean EVERYTHNG except the seat and anything glass. His reason? " It looks so f-'n ugly nobody will want to steal it!" And nobody ever did.

Old 06-25-2018 | 09:10 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

There is no such thing as a “Heritage Deluxe”. There is a Heritage. And there is a Deluxe. Different Softail bikes. I have both, they have yet to mate and create a “Heritage Deluxe”.

Old 06-25-2018 | 10:02 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

For those the don't like the blacked out look and like WW's...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-heritage.html

I like the contrast the chrome bits give the black. I generally prefer a fair mix of both. The above is a nice looking example - something I might consider (maybe on a Twisted Cherry version)...

The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
911teo (06-26-2018), wldbill (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018 | 11:49 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Default Lets agree to disagree!!

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Nah, nah, nah. You know that's not true.

1. Black is always harder to keep clean than any other color. Motorcycle, car, whatever.
2. You have to polish the black just like you have to polish the chrome. Otherwise it's gonna look dirty all the time.
3. I polish the black every time I wash the bike. I polish the chrome about every third time I polish the black. That translates to less work not more.
4. The blacked out fad is definitely more work intensive. And it's also more expensive to buy even though it looks more low budget.
This is all assuming that you detail the bike yourself. However, if you pay someone else to do it then I can see how you'd think that black was easier to maIntain. I'm just sayin', right?

Back in the early 90's my buddy, Evo Pete, rattle-canned his entire Softail Springer with Rustoleum black. I mean EVERYTHNG except the seat and anything glass. His reason? " It looks so f-'n ugly nobody will want to steal it!" And nobody ever did.
So solly choli...can't disagree with you more.

Yes, both require to do a deep clean and polish every so often. Wether you are actually waxing and polishing Black or Chrome, not much difference. However, after almost every couple hours of riding, and especially after getting cought in a spritz of rain, I can wipe all painted surfaces down on my bike with a quality brand spray detailer in about 10 minutes. Not a deep polish, but it cleans the bike of light dust and road dirt and quickly returns the shine of my original polish job. After all the painted surfaces are cleaned, It only takes me all of two to three minutes to wipe my pipes and the few other chrome components to clean and shine them. When there is a lot of Chrome, it's wipe on - let dry - wipe off...opps missed a spot...more wipe on - wipe off - then polish more to make sure all the streaks are gone. AND, I believe, if not maintaind with a lot of diligence, chorme will weather, pit and corrode much more rapidly then powder coated surfaces. Thats why there isn't much chromed metal parts on cars these days.

And maybe I should not even mention the work of keeping the zillion chrome studs bright and shiny on some of the bikes out there.

I don't see the blacked out fad (speaking of high Gloss Black only) being any more work intensive. As I stated above, I actually feel it makes keeping the bike looking good a lot easier. [Those all flat black bikes must be a bear to keep clean. They don't shine anyway so I guess that isn't an issue.]

Now if there was only an easy way to keep those damn spokes clean and shiny too. I'll admit I don't get to them as often as I should.

Last edited by FrankEV; 06-25-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2018 | 12:02 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by T^2
For those the don't like the blacked out look and like WW's...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-heritage.html

I like the contrast the chrome bits give the black. I generally prefer a fair mix of both. The above is a nice looking example - something I might consider (maybe on a Twisted Cherry version)...
WW's on my Cherry is also something I might consider when I need to replace my tires...can't justify the cost now jusst for the look.

Old 06-25-2018 | 03:44 PM
dagnabit
Advanced

I myself like the features of the heritage but prefer the look of the deluxe. Im hoping harley offers the heritage in both black and chrome trim going forward. Ive had the blacked out look on other bikes and honestly the chrome isnt that much more upkeep.

Again, nothing wrong with the black out look i just think certain models look better in the chrome trim, and others are more suited to be blacked out.