Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Softail vs Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007 | 04:22 PM
jimd4au
|
Intermediate
Default Question on Softail vs Dyna

Well, I had made my mind up for my first harley purchase to be a softail custom, however inventory is kinda low and I cannot find an acceptable color combo locally and do not want to fly or drive 500 miles to purchase, I prefer doing business with a local dealer.

So, I am looking at a Dyna Wide Glide, which in physical appearance is a similar look to the Softail Custom, w/o the king/queen seat.

I know the wide glide has a thinner rear tire than the custom, 160 mm vs 200 mm. I also understand that the suspension is different between the two along with the motor mounts. In general the dealer has told me that the wide glide would have less vibration on a longer ride and thus would be a little more comfortable.

Anyone have any thoughts on this to share with a newbie buyer?

Thanks,

jimd4au

Old 06-25-2007 | 04:27 PM
DaveJ
Road Master
Default RE: Question on Softail vs Dyna

Can't they do a dealer trade? If not, I would rather take a road trip than make a compromise. IMO.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-25-2007 | 04:38 PM
rocky28
Cruiser

when i bought my custom it was not even at the dealership yet. i told them what i wanted and the color i wanted and they found it befor i walked out the door and i took it home a week later.

[IMG]local://upfiles/35722/50F489B5A4044176855459FCB673EC9D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-25-2007 | 04:51 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member

If you're tall, 6 feet or taller, the Wide Glide will def. be more comfortable. They are a little more stretched out than the custom. Also you can get the 180 fat tire kit on any Dyna, and to just glance at a 180, it's quite hard to tell the difference between that and the 200. Any decision you make you still get an awesome bike !

Old 06-25-2007 | 04:55 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

The bikes have two completely different frames. The Dynas have a heavier box section frame piece under the gas tank (come to think of it, I'm not sure of this on the '06 and newer, but I don't think that would have changed), where the Softails have only a tube section there. The Dynas have outboard, conventional-type shocks; the Softails have shocks mounted horizontally under the bike and their shocks extend when you hit a bump rather than compress. The reason for this arrangement is to make the Softails look like the old hardtail (no rear suspension) bikes.
The Dynas have rubbermounted engines to quell vibration; the Softails have balanced engines to do the same; if you look at the front of the Softail engine case you can see the bulge where the balance shaft lives.
Most people think the Dynas vibrate more than the Softails, although neither has objectionable vibration. Most think the Dyna handles better.

Old 06-25-2007 | 04:56 PM
madcitycustom
Road Master

I bought my Street Bobbecause of the pricev. softails which I couldn't afford, but I've always loved the clean, hardtail end v. the exposed rear shocks on the dynas. I agree with the others, don't compromise when money is not an issue. Get your Custom. I'm fortunate that I got a great bike that's tons of fun to ride, but I still see those shocks back there and wish it were clean. And regarding local dealer loyalty, don't worry about it. They won't be loyal to you regarding preferential service.

Old 06-25-2007 | 05:06 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

IMHO the Street Bob is the greatest bike Harley ever produced in terms of performance, it certainly is the most fun Harley, the other families have nothing to do when compared to the DYNA's handling and performance... (exceptfor the VRODS of course..)

Mimo.

Old 06-25-2007 | 05:16 PM
MANCHU DOG7
Advanced

I agree with everyone, don't compromise with what you really want.
I set around for almost a month wanting a Night Train. All the dealers in the area said they could do a dealer swap, so getting one would not be hard. Was going to get a Super Glide Custom, because there was one at the local dealer and figured, it would do. But I waited and now I have the bike of my dreams.
So...I recommend get the one you want! This advise was given to me by the Bros/Sis' on this forum, I followed it and couldn't be happier.

Good hunting.

Old 06-25-2007 | 05:25 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

Wait for what you want. I was waiting almost three months for my Springer and then the York plant went on strike and I waited another 6 weeks. It was worth it because I have the bike I wanted.

Old 06-25-2007 | 06:15 PM
BGHFD
Cruiser

Ride them both and make sure you get what you like. Sometimes I like the counterbalanced motor around town, but on the highway the Dyna's rubber mount is awesome. I also like to watch the engine shake at idle on the Dyna. Everyone that has the Softail Custom loves it and everyone I know with Dyna Wide Glide loves it. I wish I could have one of each. The local dealers are pushing Dynas right now and are offering 1200 or 1500 rebates. An HD Salesman told my brother at a local car event that they were told by the MOCO to push the 07 Dynas before the '08's come out. The Wide Glide is suposedly gone in '08.

Quick Reply: Question on Softail vs Dyna