Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New V & H Big Radius sound terrible on new Slim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018 | 02:59 AM
DHolliy
|
Advanced
Default New V & H Big Radius sound terrible on new Slim?

Hell sorry for the book!
I’m hoping someone can shed some light on the problems below with a better answer then Harley.
On recommendation of HD (buds at the Harley dealer). I purchased V&H (big radious/short shots) $700.
Harley installed them, with their breather and tuner..., total $2k.
Anyone who has a 2014 & up softail slim with stock pipes knows how lame it sounds. The guys at Harley were 100% aware of my priorities in order of importance.
1st and far-most was for it to sound like a Harley, good and loud enough for drivers to hear me (not defending). At the very least I wanted it to sound as good as my 2014 Sportster Superlow (stock pipes).
2nd priority was for the pipes to look good and run as good as possible with upgraded pipes.
3rd allow easy acess for passenger set-up.
4th performance improvement however not the main goal.

My Slim looks nothing like a slim. The fenders, windshield, tag cover... are custom adds by Klock Werks and bike looks like a cruiser not “bobber”. Obviously it looks better with the pipes added but it sounds like NOTHING,, ZERO improvement IMHO.
When idling, it sounds like boiling water, while riding, changing gears it’s super quite and boring. Far far from desired Harley sound! The only answer Harley has is to replace the baffels & out and then it needed tuned again... $600.
It sounds like it’s idling too high but I’m not at all a mechanic.

If I listen to them, WTH will it sound like after and will it be any bette? Oh, why doesn’t it now? I’m lost here on this.

The guys at the dealership have been great to me. I didn’t buy my new bike from them, I purchased in South Dakota and shipped it to me. They've done a lot of work for me & I've bought tons of parts from them over the years, all positive experiences.

On another note, many have posted the Hollywood bars can be swapped with 10” apes. 1 1/4” going to 1” at forks & grips... Yet Harley insist this cannot be done without retiring all, costing $900/labor only, err!

Any help, advise appreciated!
Deb

Old 06-15-2018 | 04:35 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer

If you wanted your bike to look better, big radius pipes were a mistake IMO.

Saying that, big radius pipes come with quiet baffles that can be changed out to loud ones. Big radius pipes with loud baffles sound pretty nice, I just don’t like the look.

buy the V&H tuner and do it yourself.

Old 06-15-2018 | 04:38 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer

V&H have an app for iPhone and android that allows you to hear sound clips of their different pipes on different bikes.

The following users liked this post:
DHolliy (07-08-2018)
Old 06-15-2018 | 07:22 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior

Second on the V&H Fuelpak3 that will save you on the second tuning!!

RJ

DHolliy (07-08-2018)
Old 06-15-2018 | 07:29 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Old 06-15-2018 | 07:35 AM
jam436
Supporter

Dealers lie.
When I bought my '13 Slim, I had extensive conversation with them about my wanting to upgrade to a Stage 1.
They said if I bought the parts through them, they'd install it all for free. Their prices were the same ones I was seeing online, so why not?
My main concerns were to fix the lean factory condition, and to lower the high heat output.
Of course they said, no problem.
When I got the bike back the average MPG skyrocketed by 5-7 MPG, it was even leaner than before.
Also the heat was unbearable. Oil temps also shot up by at least 25° across the board. The bike was almost unrideable on hot days.
And if all that wasn't bad enough, the bike now produced a decel pop that was now constant.
They blamed it on that POS SEPST tuner they made me buy, and EPA regs - after I thought I made it clear that I specifically wanted to improve these conditions, not make them worse.

I then bought a V&H Fuelpak3, and all those problems went away.
F*ck the dealer.

WKNDS (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018 | 08:35 AM
ehummelman
Cruiser

OP, I have a 17 Slim with only VH long shots slipons and it sounds great, although I do have decel popping similar to what jam436 describes. If you want to just do a sound comparison I live in ATL also and would happily meet up. BTW, which dealer do you use? I know there's like 5 of them around the metro area.

Old 06-15-2018 | 08:39 AM
rjacobs
Tourer

Im putting short shots on my 18 Slim today along with a Dynojet PowerVision from Fuel Moto.... It better not be quiet LOL.

Old 06-16-2018 | 07:05 AM
HyRolr
6th Gear

Sounds like your pipes definitely have quiet baffles. I used to go to the dealer for advice and parts as well but my BS detector kept going off. If you can find a good indy they are worth their weight in gold. I am fortunate to work around the block from my indy so I can stop in anytime. He used to be the crew chief for an NHRA drag bike team and set records himself drag racing back in the 80's. He knows me by name when I walk through the door and always gives a straight, realistic answer. He has probably forgotten more about motorcycles than I'll ever know.

Last edited by HyRolr; 06-16-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 06-16-2018 | 09:40 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

So you’re saying your 2016 Slim with V&H Big Radius pipes sounds worse/quieter than your 2014 Sportster with stock pipes?

That is some kind of crazy magic trick...

if you were coming from drag pipes or other LAF type I could see you feeling V&H were quieter, but I’ve never heard a quiet V&H pipe. I don’t know anyone who has. Their “quiet baffle” is notoriously described as the “Not really much quieter baffle”. Mostly they make the pipe a tad deeper sounding. You could try the stock baffle which is essentially just an open tube with ripples and holes....but seriously your pipes should be making decent sounds as is for you...

I know V&H started making some versions of pipes with cats in them. Hopefully your dealer did not buy those....although by law they are probably supposed to now...that’s the only thing I can think of to explain your description. Get the part number and look it up on V&H website. Hope you get some answers.

Quick Reply: New V & H Big Radius sound terrible on new Slim?