Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some answers for the gas cap rattle and condensationin the speedo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:13 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts
Default Some answers for the gas cap rattle and condensationin the speedo

I just had my 10k service done (18 Heritage). The service department knew about both issues and have ordered me a new gas cap but I was told it might happen again with a new one but to keep bringing it back and getting new ones till I find one that doesn't rattle. You gotta love Harley!!

There is a bulletin on the condensation issue. They will not currently replace the speedo while they are working on a fix. I wonder how long that fix will be.

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Interesting that they claim that they are working on the condensation issue, my '13 RK had it and replaced Speedo under warranty, same with my '14 RK and now notice seeing it on my '18 Heritage Softail.

Never had that on any other bike that I owned. About time for a solution.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

Considering it does it on 04s and 18s, I probably won't live long enough for it. I drilled a hole in the bottom of mine., hot melted a small pill bottle that I cut the bottom of off and had the cap facing out. Put a small tied cloth bag of RIPs desiccant she had for drying flowers from one of her hobbies. Fixed it but if it comes back, to get it a new filling requires the console coming off. No big deal to me. But it has been many years ago I did it. I personally think they gave you an answer that they are really not even thinking about addressing. Every dealer is different.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 PM
FLSL
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I just had my 10k service done (18 Heritage). The service department knew about both issues and have ordered me a new gas cap but I was told it might happen again with a new one but to keep bringing it back and getting new ones till I find one that doesn't rattle. You gotta love Harley!!

There is a bulletin on the condensation issue. They will not currently replace the speedo while they are working on a fix. I wonder how long that fix will be.
Yep, I just had to replace my gas cap on my '18 Slim. My dealer wasn't aware, I was actually the first to have the issue. New cap, no rattle, looks exactly like the old cap, so don't know what is different

Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

I had to replace the gas cap on my Fat Bob for the rattle. They were happy to replace it under warranty.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:27 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

These two issues were on my snagging list when the FB went in for its first 1K.

I had a harmonic buzz about 1800 rpm - was told it was the gas cap ...but no warranty replacement

My speedo doesn't have moisture inside but looks as if there is some kind of oily trace residue in the middle/inside of the glass that shows up when the sun hits it at an angle - dealer asked HD UK but were told they would not replace the speedo for that

The only other real ****le is that adjuster **** for the rear shock ...boy does that take some turning, you almost need a wrench!! - again, apparently normal

Last edited by Gordon61; 06-06-2018 at 03:29 PM.
PaterAnt (09-14-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Seems like the EU dealer don't change rattling gas caps ... Mine rattles too, but didn't get a replacement. I stuck a bit of foam between console and cap for now until I find a decent not too expensive replacement.

The oily residue was in the tach and speedo on my 1991 FXRs, my 2009 Xbones and now also in the Fat Bob. Was told long time ago that it is a treatment to prevent condensation on the glass.

Adjuster ***** rear shock on all my other non HD bikes was similar, so yes, perfectly normal.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakthi

The oily residue was in the tach and speedo on my 1991 FXRs, my 2009 Xbones and now also in the Fat Bob. Was told long time ago that it is a treatment to prevent condensation on the glass.
Bet the service manager who came up with that one got a $1000 bonus that month...

04ctd (09-18-2019)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:32 PM
FLSL
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My dealer and I did a little test. Where you can normally install the gas cap with 3-4 clicks after seating the cap. It now seems with the '18 models you need to turn the cap a full turn at least. worked every time even with my "defective" gas cap

Old 06-06-2018, 05:58 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren

Not the first time condensation has come up

Last edited by smitty901; 06-06-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Some answers for the gas cap rattle and condensationin the speedo