Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some answers for the gas cap rattle and condensationin the speedo

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:38 AM
2018 lowrider M8
Tourer
Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
MY speedo and tach both fog on my 2018 Lowrider. The fogging starts when riding or parked when the sun is shining. The speedo fogs up more than the tach but the tach does fog some. In fact the speedo has so much moisture that it actually runs in the bottom third of the speedo. The tach just fogs a bit in the bottom third of the tach.
Mate mine condensates quite a lot and its pissing me off now

Old 02-17-2019, 03:23 AM
billbrummett
Tourer
Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

take a pair of channel locks and crimp inside ring of gas cap. I replaced 3 under warranty, all rattled. come on Harley!

Old 02-17-2019, 12:46 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Working towards a resolution since 6/29/16? I guess with the M8 issues, they have more important resolutions to work on than streaking instruments.
My 1995 Dyna Superglide had the condensation, as well as my 1996 FLHRI RoadKing. The RK's speedo needle would also "stick" as the bike warmed up. Tapping on the glass would get the needle back to about 21mph, while the bike was parked...Banging on the glass would further improve the needle's accuracy to about 10-12mph. Taking a hammer to the stupid glass would probably make the needle go to zero. Oddly, it would go to zero by the next morning. Sometime's it would stick around 45-50 mph, so anything below those speeds was a guess. Naturally, this gauge was labelled, "Harley-Davidson Certified..."

Oh, my 2016 FXDL has the condensation prob too. So much so, that it's impossible to read the odometer/gear #/miles to empty/etc.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:14 PM
Dylan1
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas vapours

Did you ever determine if fuel vapours were causing residue? responsible
Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I want this issue to remain alive because it is so infuriating that it can't/won't be solved.

But here are some of my facts as I investigate this: 2018 FLCHS

1) I don't readily discount the theory that gas vapors are at play here. The "moisture" definitely leaves behind a residue that suggests that it COULD be gas. Also, I was removing my console last night and there was a strong smell of gasoline from underneath the console. So, while I can't prove the theory - honestly, I can't structure a scenario where it is true - I can't completely eliminate it either.

2) Here is what is hard for me to explain......while I ride in all conditions moisture will form under the glass of the speedo. If I park the bike either in my garage, or in the sunlight, the moisture almost immediately begins to go away. Then, when I ride again, it returns. That's not the way this should act if it was moisture from the air. Additionally, it forms in the exact same spot every time. If the coolness of the air while riding is enough to condense the humidity in the air, the moisture should become worse once the bike is in the "cool" confines of my garage....not go away. Therefore, I also cannot completely rule out the theory that this is the result of an interaction of some glue or seal that is used inside the speedo.

3) If the moisture can get in....it should be able to get out when it is heated up. The hotter it get, the more it should leave the speedo. That doesn't appear to be the case. The speedo I have now has never been in the rain, and it has been protected when I wash the bike (which has been about 2x since the speedo was replaced). And yet, it condenses in EXACTLY the identical way that the first one did. That can't be coincidence.

Bottom line: I think we are too quick to label this a moisture issue and are neglecting other causes.

Bottom line 2: HD should be ashamed of themselves and should move out of the U.S. if this is the best they can do. (not really....just frustrated)

Old 09-05-2023, 07:39 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Fey
For buzzing gas caps just gently crimp it in 4 or 5 places. Easy 2 minute fix...Small screwdriver, hammer and clean soft rag to rest cap on and fixed!
Does that affect the caps
ability to vent?

Old 09-11-2023, 02:38 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

Originally Posted by jqb12
Does that affect the caps
ability to vent?
Fey posted that in 2018 and has not been active on the forum since July, 2019. His recommendation should not affect the ability of the cap to vent.