Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some answers for the gas cap rattle and condensationin the speedo

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 06:29 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,787 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
I just had my 10k service done (18 Heritage). The service department knew about both issues and have ordered me a new gas cap but I was told it might happen again with a new one but to keep bringing it back and getting new ones till I find one that doesn't rattle. You gotta love Harley!!

There is a bulletin on the condensation issue. They will not currently replace the speedo while they are working on a fix. I wonder how long that fix will be.
I'd like to see that condensation bulletin. Unless it's documented, your dealer may be blowing smoke.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

My 17 heritage classic speedo steams up when it gets caught out in the rain also.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:21 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Strange about the condensation in the Speedo gauge. I didn't realize there was a bulletin. The irony for me is, I ride everyday, rain or shine, mostly rain, and nothing yet. Maybe so much rain, I don't notice! Haha

The gas cap is a real issue. Already replaced a few.

I ended up buying a locking cap, and the issue went away. I figured the heavier cap might take the vibs better. Fingers crossed, so far so good.

The following users liked this post:
PaterAnt (09-14-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 06:26 PM
ricmac68
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a haze from condensation on the inside of my speedo as well. Should have know there was a bulletin on it. I don't let it get me too down. Rather concentrate on riding.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:04 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The gas cap on my 2018 Heritage buzzed something awful around 2500 rpm from the very first mile. I'm slow so it took me awhile to figure out it wasn't just the new Harley valve train , but the simple gas cap. A fat rubber band worked for me until I went on a 3500 mile road trip and the rubber band became a pain. Back in town and the shop replaced the gas cap and a bit to my surprise, it doesn't buzz. Hopefully it will maintain it's quiet.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:45 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
These two issues were on my snagging list when the FB went in for its first 1K.

I had a harmonic buzz about 1800 rpm - was told it was the gas cap ...but no warranty replacement

My speedo doesn't have moisture inside but looks as if there is some kind of oily trace residue in the middle/inside of the glass that shows up when the sun hits it at an angle - dealer asked HD UK but were told they would not replace the speedo for that

The only other real ****le is that adjuster **** for the rear shock ...boy does that take some turning, you almost need a wrench!! - again, apparently normal
Well....my bike is in for it's 5K service in a couple of weeks, so I will ask them about the speedo. I do have a little condensation in mine at times.

My gas cap doesn't rattle - but I have ordered a Rough Crafts CNC one anyway. Gas Cap

At under £6 delivered, I think it looks better and as it's a straight screw in item there shouldn't be any rattle. It's non-vented, but the tank has an upper vent line anyway, so shouldn't make any difference.

I'd really quite like an HD flush mount one, but I had one on my old Fat Bob and wasn't really happy with the quality of the plastic finish. It picked up light scratches from my gloves pretty easily. They are also £75....

Old 06-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Well....my bike is in for it's 5K service in a couple of weeks, so I will ask them about the speedo. I do have a little condensation in mine at times.

My gas cap doesn't rattle - but I have ordered a Rough Crafts CNC one anyway. Gas Cap

At under £6 delivered, I think it looks better and as it's a straight screw in item there shouldn't be any rattle. It's non-vented, but the tank has an upper vent line anyway, so shouldn't make any difference.

I'd really quite like an HD flush mount one, but I had one on my old Fat Bob and wasn't really happy with the quality of the plastic finish. It picked up light scratches from my gloves pretty easily. They are also £75....
It needs to be vented in...That is an out with the hose and a check valve on the end. (I think)

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-10-2018 at 09:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (06-22-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:59 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,474 Likes on 1,353 Posts

The gas cap rattle is definitely a real issue. I had mine replaced at about 500 miles (I think); the new one was perfectly buzz-free.

I have since replaced it with the black Willie G skull gas cap, which looks awesome and is also buzz-free. I'm hanging on to my old gas cap because I just know sooner or later some weasel is going to pilfer my Willie G cap...

Old 06-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think I've ever seen a Harley that didn't have condensation issues with the speedo. Mine does it, as well as my previous Harley's. If you look at the design, particularly the back side it's easy to understand. It not really sealed.

You've got the same deal with the headlights and fog lights, but you have to ride in heavy rain for a long period of time to make it happen.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 06-10-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:57 PM
A1A
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

TECH ARTICLE - Instrument Gauge Display Streaking
Reference - TA0006
Last Modified - 2016-06-29
Models - 2014 and later most vehicles
Category - Electrical
Markets - Global 2014 and later most vehicles
Symptoms - Streaking appearance or film residue on the inside of instrumentation gauges.
Description - HD is aware of the streaking or film residue inside speedometers & tachometers. May occur after vehicle was exposed to humid conditions.
Action - While this condition is warranted, there is a high probability the replacement part will exhibit the same condition at this time. Consider this when reviewing the issue and repairs to the affected vehicles. HD is aware of the condition and working toward a resolution.

Quick Reply: Some answers for the gas cap rattle and condensationin the speedo