Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob 114 Fuel Moto Power Vision With Just Slip-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018 | 06:37 PM
02603SEC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
That's the way things used to be. That is not how things are now. Harley is under court-mandated orders to void every powertrain warranty on every 2017+ bike if they (or their dealer) has any knowledge whatsoever that an aftermarket tuning device was used. They have no choice. Their dealers have no choice. It is a court order that you can read about in the EPA Consent Decree.
Not what I'm seeing is all I'm saying. Would be the last new HD I would ever buy.

Old 05-28-2018 | 07:01 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by modular
I'm still not sure how the SEPST can really change much. It can't change AFR's to stay EPA compliant. From what I can tell it just tweeks timing to adjust things. I'm sure there is more to it than that but I still don't see the value (besides keeping one's warranty) of the SEPST.
The SEPST is a tuner. It does let you change the AFRs. It just restricts the amount of change you can make to them, to keep the resulting tune EPA-compliant.

We've had guys on here who have had dyno tunes using the SEPST as their tuner; mjwebb is an example, and he's quite happy with the improvements that were made to his bike using just the SEPST.

On the other hand, we've had dyno tuners like FLTRI7 who say that if all you've got is the SEPST, you don't really need to run a full dyno session, just put in the proper base calibration and then run a couple of SmartTune sessions and that'll be about as much as you can expect to get out of an SEPST.

So no, it's not capable of as much as a non-compliant tuner could do. But, it is the only tuner on the market that can be used and maintain the warranty. Generally you use it to establish a proper base calibration, then run the SmartTune a few times to help it dial in the tune for your exact components.

Or, you could get the SE Auto Tuning Module, which works in conjunction with the SEPST to adjust the tune on the fly to prevailing conditions. There are some on here who have it and love it, there are others who cast serious doubt as to its effectiveness, I just bring it up as another way to stay EPA-compliant and warranty-friendly while optimizing the tune for your particular configuration.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 05-28-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2018 | 07:49 PM
Gillham
Intermediate

I don't have a tuner - but I thought an advantage of the PowerVision tuner, was to download the stock tune - so you can revert before you bring it in for service? Then once it's back in your hands, put your tune back on.

Old 05-28-2018 | 10:06 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gillham
I don't have a tuner - but I thought an advantage of the PowerVision tuner, was to download the stock tune - so you can revert before you bring it in for service? Then once it's back in your hands, put your tune back on.
It is marketed as offering that advantage, yes. But there are questions about whether that "works" to fool the Motor Company or not. It may restore the original tune, but if there are other flags or signals that indicate that the bike has had a tuner used on it, then those indications could be proof that a tuner was used and the warranty then voided.

Someone earlier posted this somewhat interesting link:
https://jalopnik.com/how-a-car-compa...our-1821736111

Simply put, the Motor Company is under federal edict by the courts to void warranties if an aftermarket tuner was used. They either are, or are not, smart enough to know about the PowerVision advertising, and either did or did not build in some ways to detect when an aftermarket tuner was used. Since they were fined millions and millions of dollars, and probably face severe penalties if they fail to follow up on their court-ordered responsibilities, I think it would be safe to bet that Harley knows more about their own system than PowerVision does, y'know?

But, maybe they don't, and maybe PowerVision outsmarts them. That's a gamble you'd have to decide if it was worth it to you. By the letter of the law, the warranty is void, whether the PowerVision restores the factory tune or not.

Old 05-29-2018 | 04:04 AM
modular
|
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Can the end user of an SEPST bump up the rev limiter?? I've seen dyno results that have it set at 6250.

Old 05-29-2018 | 11:44 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by modular
Can the end user of an SEPST bump up the rev limiter?? I've seen dyno results that have it set at 6250.
according to their on-line SEPST training manual you can. - LESSON 4 - TUNER (3 out of 73)
can't give you a direct link to it.

http://prosupertuner.harley-davidson...ENU/index.html

Last edited by Rakthi; 05-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2018 | 12:22 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Yes, mine is set to 6400 RPM.

And Rakthi has pointed you towards the motherlode of information on the SEPST, there's some pretty decent online training for how to use it and it shows what can be done with it.

Old 05-29-2018 | 04:12 PM
modular
|
Stellar HDF Member

Can one run the canned tune for my bike/set up as-is or do you have to run a smart tune right away after loading the new tune in?

Old 05-29-2018 | 04:31 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

You don't have to run the smart tune session; in fact I would bet most people don't, as it's a bit of a hassle.

The canned tune should be reasonably close, and the ECM does have the ability to adapt to current conditions within reason. The SmartTune evaluates your bike's actual installed components and adjusts the base tune to accommodate differences in the actual running parts you're using. As such, it's probably a good idea to do at least one or two SmartTune sessions, especially if (like me) you're not using the same exact components that the base calibration was intended for. I'm running Stage II, so my cam and A/C match what Harley's calibration was designed for, but my mufflers are S&S and not Street Cannons; because of that difference, I decided to SmartTune it a few times.

Old 05-29-2018 | 05:14 PM
modular
|
Stellar HDF Member

Well, my selling dealer never made a deal out of the '17 Street Rod having a FP3 on it the three times I took it in for service/warranty issues and they knew about it. The SEPST does not seem very user friendly.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob 114 Fuel Moto Power Vision With Just Slip-Ons