Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 fat bob muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018 | 11:59 AM
blackSP
Tourer

You got them!!!

Old 06-04-2018 | 02:26 PM
Gillham
Intermediate

So on the standard mufflers - I can knock those caps out? Which direction should I be hitting? The direction of airflow, or reverse?
TIA

Old 06-04-2018 | 11:34 PM
realsteel
Novice
Smile

Originally Posted by Gillham
So on the standard mufflers - I can knock those caps out? Which direction should I be hitting? The direction of airflow, or reverse?
TIA
I would Take Mufflers off first and punch out in air flow direction but probably wont matter except if you want to keep them inside pipes!!

Old 06-05-2018 | 12:52 PM
Gillham
Intermediate

Originally Posted by realsteel
I would Take Mufflers off first and punch out in air flow direction but probably wont matter except if you want to keep them inside pipes!!
Thanks, I was going to pull them off the header pipe to punch them out, just wasn't sure which direction they should go.
So they don't get any throatier when you hit those caps out? I'm not sold on going with slip-ons yet, because I'm a bit timid on going to get a tuner that'll void my warranty. I guess I could always do the SE Tuner...

Old 06-05-2018 | 02:19 PM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain

Get a cheap slip on with Big City Thunder Monster Baffles - best sounds without breaking the bank - My husband did this to his Softail.

Old 06-05-2018 | 04:49 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by realsteel
I got that I see the washer looking restrictor halfway down Muffler. I gave it a good go to punch them out I think Blacksp is talking about drilling those I worked out 30mm hole saw on long extension should do it. mine had those caps out when I got bike( dealer must of done it) pretty sure so only outside left going to drill that out as well. I am talking about the Street Cannons Not standard Mufflers
My bad. I was speaking about the stock mufflers when asking about this modification. The stock mufflers only have the one cap in each pipe.

Originally Posted by blackSP
You got them!!!
I did get them knocked out. Thank you for the information you provided.

Originally Posted by Gillham
TIA
I ended up knocking them out in the direction of flow. I placed a folded up blanket underneath the pipe as well to avoid damaging anything. A few good whacks and they come right out. Just be aware that you may end up with a bit of a "hinged" cap at first but you can take a long flat head screwdriver and wedge the cap back down then ram the rod through again and it breaks the last bit of metal that is hanging on and the caps come right out. I may try to find a way to grind or file down the remaining part of the caps to open it up to the full inside diameter of the pipe instead of the smaller hole in the center. Not quit sure how to go about doing this though. The sound is a bit better, especially when getting on the throttle. Performance was not affected as far as the butt dyno can tell. I can't wait to just swap the pipes out with a good 2 into 1 and get rid of the hideous stock pipes.

Old 06-05-2018 | 10:36 PM
realsteel
Novice

Cat Restriction

Catless
Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
My bad. I was speaking about the stock mufflers when asking about this modification. The stock mufflers only have the one cap in each pipe.

I did get them knocked out. Thank you for the information you provided.

I ended up knocking them out in the direction of flow. I placed a folded up blanket underneath the pipe as well to avoid damaging anything. A few good whacks and they come right out. Just be aware that you may end up with a bit of a "hinged" cap at first but you can take a long flat head screwdriver and wedge the cap back down then ram the rod through again and it breaks the last bit of metal that is hanging on and the caps come right out. I may try to find a way to grind or file down the remaining part of the caps to open it up to the full inside diameter of the pipe instead of the smaller hole in the center. Not quit sure how to go about doing this though. The sound is a bit better, especially when getting on the throttle. Performance was not affected as far as the butt dyno can tell. I can't wait to just swap the pipes out with a good 2 into 1 and get rid of the hideous stock pipes.
Cool. Not sure about standard ones as mine are still in Box. I have worked out a 30mm hole saw to drill out the remaining section left in the Street Cannons. Going to do it with pipes on hopefully nothing goes down and I don't have to take off especially the top muffler. I have removed cats from original pipes. ps I gotta learn how to reduce pics sorry

Old 04-02-2019 | 09:30 PM
Gillham
Intermediate

Finally got around to doing this mod. Took a bit more than a few whacks for me to get it done. Used a prybar to make the hole, then a 14mm deep impact socket to open up the hole. First pic was me having a hell of a time even making a scratch. Second is the opened up pipe.

Old 04-29-2019 | 02:08 PM
yyokes
Intermediate

What can you say about the improvement in the sound? Is it louder, more throaty, or what..?

Old 05-01-2019 | 03:21 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by yyokes
What can you say about the improvement in the sound? Is it louder, more throaty, or what..?
When I punched out the plugs on my stock mufflers it made them sound a bit deeper and louder when getting on it but that's about it. You can take a listen in this sound clip.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 05-01-2019 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yyokes (05-03-2019)

Quick Reply: 2018 fat bob muffler question