Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboards for Sport Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by timhdfl
I'm pretty sure I'll be happier with floorboards. My previous Harley's were all touring models, so I'm used to floorboards. When I test rode the Sport Glide, I really liked the forward peg placement. But as time goes on, I've found I really miss having floorboards, especially on longer rides. I'll report back after I get them installed and spend some time with them. But, I ordered from New Castle, so it may be a while before I get everything. They didn't have any of the parts in stock, so they had to order everything from Harley. Hopefully nothing ends up on back-order like when you placed your order.

Hopefully, you'll find you like them more as you spend more time with them. But I know floorboards aren't everyone's preference. At least if you decide at some point that you don't really like them, it should be easy enough to change back.
Yeah, this is a first for me, in maybe 30 years of riding, so it's an adjustment for sure. I do think they suit this seating position better than pegs really do, and give you more options - absolutely better for long rides, less clear cut for short rides around town. But you know what you're getting, so no surprises there.

You can save a lot through New Castle, so worth the wait. There were a couple of delays on the back order of one of the mounts, so they gave me names of other dealers who had it and I ended up ordering one from somebody else. That one was more expensive, then I had to pay return postage and restocking to two dealers and pay full price at my local place. Kind of a bath.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Keep waiting to get a good pic when the bike is clean, but I don't seem to be able to stay out of the rain long enough for that to happen. The aforementioned Fat Boy mounts and Heritage boards.

Attached Thumbnails Floorboards for Sport Glide-img_20190414_191627.jpg  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:32 AM
cchuck3537
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Belloc42
Keep waiting to get a good pic when the bike is clean, but I don't seem to be able to stay out of the rain long enough for that to happen. The aforementioned Fat Boy mounts and Heritage boards.

Are those love jugs? How did you mount them to the sportglide? I have been waiting for them to release them for the m8 softtails.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:56 AM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by cchuck3537
Are those love jugs? How did you mount them to the sportglide? I have been waiting for them to release them for the m8 softtails.
Yeah, I put these on last February. They're a huge help in Houston traffic, and they've been rock solid so far, rain, shine, summer, and winter.

The problem mounting them was that bump on the back of the coil that the plug goes into. I Dremeled out a square on the bracket they include for that bump to fit into. The square has to be big enough for not just the bump, but for the plug and the wires coming out of the bottom of the bump. I think the screw holding the coil had enough length to put through the bracket (could be wrong, but I don't remember buying another screw). The Mighty-Mites mounted upside down. I wired them right to the battery and just switch them on when I need them.

Keep meaning to find an acorn nut to cover that bare screw, but the local Lowe's never gets new stock of those for some reason, and I always forget elsewhere.

Attached Thumbnails Floorboards for Sport Glide-img_20180225_152530.jpg   Floorboards for Sport Glide-img_20180311_160219.jpg   Floorboards for Sport Glide-img_20180311_205819.jpg  

Last edited by Belloc42; 04-18-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:41 PM
timhdfl
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good. Sadly, I'm still waiting on my parts. One item backordered, of course. Supposed to be in this week, so hopefully I'll have parts to install soon.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by timhdfl
Looks good. Sadly, I'm still waiting on my parts. One item backordered, of course. Supposed to be in this week, so hopefully I'll have parts to install soon.
Worth the wait - you'll save a lot.

I spent a couple of hours on the freeway this evening and was thinking how much better the boards are when you're going 75-80 for any length of time. Not sure how it is for everyone else (I think height, leg length and angle, how you sit, seat, etc. make a big difference), but for me, at those speeds, the wind was always trying to lift my feet, and my groin got tired from holding my legs together. After half an hour or so, I'd put my feet back on the passenger pegs and lean forward for a break. With boards, no need, and I can shift around, put my feet back in the mids position and sit up straighter, stretch my feet out and lean back, one foot forward, one back, whatever. Feet stay planted. I'm sure this isn't news to anyone who's had them before, but this is a first for me (well, a cruiser is a first for me). In town it's a wash, really - I had no complaints with the pegs at in-town speeds, but boards are cool there, too.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:27 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

...at those speeds, the wind was always trying to lift my feet, and my groin got tired from holding my legs together...
This was me also.

...but this is a first for me (well, a cruiser is a first for me).
This was also me also, LOL.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

I swapped out my Joker Machine minis for some Kuryakyn boards. I wanted better foot support for longer rides.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
I swapped out my Joker Machine minis for some Kuryakyn boards. I wanted better foot support for longer rides.
Those are a lot more substantial. They look good!

The following users liked this post:
Iron lHorse (05-29-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 09:19 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Those are a lot more substantial. They look good!
They felt really good on the way home from work (I swapped them out at work before I left). Probably as good as I'm going to get without going "full floorboard". I can slide my feet back until my heels hang off the back and get a Mid Controls feel. I can also slide my feet forward until just my heels are on the boards and my toes are resting on the engine guards. I need to take them on a long-ish ride (4 hours or so) to test them out before our Colorado trip later this summer.

For reference...a cobbled-together before / after image:

Last edited by HuntWhenever; 05-18-2019 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Floorboards for Sport Glide