Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboards for Sport Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 08:25 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Belloc42
Will do. Yeah, I went back and forth on it myself. I finally decided that if I was doing it for the widest range of leg positioning, I might as well go whole-hog, rather than half-***. The longest peg replacement was maybe 7" or so (and made me a little nervous, leverage-wise), and I wanted the length. I think it just comes down to that. For something shorter, a peg replacement makes a lot more sense.
A lot of coin either way unfortunately. Hopefully the aftermarket will come out with some awesome new floorboards for the Heritage, Deluxe, and Slim so the classifieds will be flooded with folks giving there stock boards away for next to nothin'

Old 02-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Belloc42
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
A lot of coin either way unfortunately. Hopefully the aftermarket will come out with some awesome new floorboards for the Heritage, Deluxe, and Slim so the classifieds will be flooded with folks giving there stock boards away for next to nothin'
Yeah, that would help, but you still have to get the mounts and hardware.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:46 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Yeah, that would help, but you still have to get the mounts and hardware.
Yea...

Old 03-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Update: The right mounting bracket was back ordered and they finally gave me the name of another dealer that had it in stock, so I got everything in and... the Heritage mount puts the board right against the pipe on the right side. I didn't actually mount it because I have to be able to return it, but I removed the peg and peg mount and held the board and board mount in place and it's right against it. I'll either have to get the Fat Boy mounting brackets, which are longer, or the DK extensions. Might as well send these back and get the right ones, since it'll be cheaper.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Update: The right mounting bracket was back ordered and they finally gave me the name of another dealer that had it in stock, so I got everything in and... the Heritage mount puts the board right against the pipe on the right side. I didn't actually mount it because I have to be able to return it, but I removed the peg and peg mount and held the board and board mount in place and it's right against it. I'll either have to get the Fat Boy mounting brackets, which are longer, or the DK extensions. Might as well send these back and get the right ones, since it'll be cheaper.
Bummer. Thanks for the update.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:17 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Well, it came together faster than I thought. I ordered the Fat Boy mounts from my local dealer, who got them both in just a few days. Everything mounted up nicely, Fat Boy mounting brackets with Heritage footboards. Between paying restocking for the mounts that didn't work, and paying shipping back to 2 different sellers, this has gotten even more expensive.

Riding down the road, these are definitely more comfortable. It's like having mids and forwards both on the bike - you're not locked to one basic position. This is maybe my 10th bike and I've never had boards before, so this is new to me. The wind doesn't lift your feet up at higher speeds, either. I've only ridden for 2 or 3 hours since I put them on yesterday though, so I'm still getting used to them: You lift your leg differently when you pull away from a stop, and shifting is different - I've adjusted the lever again, and I'm recalibrating my left foot. Braking was no problem. Haven't noticed lean angle being significantly worse.

Anyway, here's a list of the parts you'll need if you decide to do this. Note that the footboards listed are the Heritage ones, but you can use any boards that fit the Fat Boy mounts, of course.

50500751 Fat Boy Mounting brackets
33600128 Shift lever bracket (includes bearing sleeve) - attaches to mount on shift side
10200350 Screws to attach shift lever bracket to mount - need 2
50500699 Pin (holds board to mount) - need 2
50500700 Spring - need 2
50500701 Clip (keeps pin in) - need 2
50500564 (right) Heritage footboards (includes rubber insert and wear peg)
50501087 (left)

Attached Thumbnails Floorboards for Sport Glide-img_20190330_142138.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
THE_ELECTRICIAN (10-07-2021)
Old 03-31-2019, 08:50 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior

Well, it came together faster than I thought...
Thanks for the comprehensive parts list! The mini boards are serving me well, but this list will come in handy if I change my mind.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 PM
timhdfl
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it came together faster than I thought. I ordered the Fat Boy mounts from my local dealer, who got them both in just a few days. Everything mounted up nicely, Fat Boy mounting brackets with Heritage footboards. Between paying restocking for the mounts that didn't work, and paying shipping back to 2 different sellers, this has gotten even more expensive.

Riding down the road, these are definitely more comfortable. It's like having mids and forwards both on the bike - you're not locked to one basic position. This is maybe my 10th bike and I've never had boards before, so this is new to me. The wind doesn't lift your feet up at higher speeds, either. I've only ridden for 2 or 3 hours since I put them on yesterday though, so I'm still getting used to them: You lift your leg differently when you pull away from a stop, and shifting is different - I've adjusted the lever again, and I'm recalibrating my left foot. Braking was no problem. Haven't noticed lean angle being significantly worse.

Anyway, here's a list of the parts you'll need if you decide to do this. Note that the footboards listed are the Heritage ones, but you can use any boards that fit the Fat Boy mounts, of course.

50500751 Fat Boy Mounting brackets
33600128 Shift lever bracket (includes bearing sleeve) - attaches to mount on shift side
10200350 Screws to attach shift lever bracket to mount - need 2
50500699 Pin (holds board to mount) - need 2
50500700 Spring - need 2
50500701 Clip (keeps pin in) - need 2
50500564 (right) Heritage footboards (includes rubber insert and wear peg)
50501087 (left)
Thank you for the parts list. That was just the push I needed to finally place the order.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:07 PM
Belloc42
Tourer

Originally Posted by timhdfl
Thank you for the parts list. That was just the push I needed to finally place the order.
No problem - look forward to hearing what your experience is. Having ridden for a few more days, I'm still liking them, but still adjusting. Shifting is still a little weird, in particular getting into neutral from first without popping into second - never something I did before. Also, you can't brace against them like you can the forward pegs to push yourself back in the seat. You can however move your feet back and sit up straight, completely changing your position, and have your feet in different positions from each other. Anyway, a mixed bag, but mostly good, I think.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:12 PM
timhdfl
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem - look forward to hearing what your experience is. Having ridden for a few more days, I'm still liking them, but still adjusting. Shifting is still a little weird, in particular getting into neutral from first without popping into second - never something I did before. Also, you can't brace against them like you can the forward pegs to push yourself back in the seat. You can however move your feet back and sit up straight, completely changing your position, and have your feet in different positions from each other. Anyway, a mixed bag, but mostly good, I think.
I'm pretty sure I'll be happier with floorboards. My previous Harley's were all touring models, so I'm used to floorboards. When I test rode the Sport Glide, I really liked the forward peg placement. But as time goes on, I've found I really miss having floorboards, especially on longer rides. I'll report back after I get them installed and spend some time with them. But, I ordered from New Castle, so it may be a while before I get everything. They didn't have any of the parts in stock, so they had to order everything from Harley. Hopefully nothing ends up on back-order like when you placed your order.

Hopefully, you'll find you like them more as you spend more time with them. But I know floorboards aren't everyone's preference. At least if you decide at some point that you don't really like them, it should be easy enough to change back.

Quick Reply: Floorboards for Sport Glide