Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fix for buffeting on those who own a Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 9,923 Likes on 3,727 Posts
Default fix for buffeting on those who own a Deuce

I have been working on reducing the buffeting most get with the windshield for the Deuce.I took the stock windshield and cut it down to 11.5 " in height from top of head light opening edge to the top of the shield . Went out after work, between thunderstorms were having here and went into a ESE wind at 15 knots doing 70-75 mph and no buffeting and I wear FF helmet. I felt ever so lightly a shake but I think Im now experiencing normal air flow (noticed a bigger rush of clean air entering helmet as well, much cooler temp feeling on the noggin ) and no pressure on chest what so ever. Finally !! should have done this years ago,oh well better late than never.

I figure I would post it since I read and searched a ton of postings and not many found a fix that was acceptable for the Deuce (or a lot of those reporting buffeting issues on other models ) .. As long as the head isnt being batted around anymore Im good,and the pressure is relieved off of the chest and shoulders,my main concern for reduction of pressure from longer rides ,other wise I was ready to throw the SOB in the trash . Best I can come up with out spending quite a bit experimenting. My next move would have been the National Cycle Switch-Blade fly screen.I read from many here that it works well for wind deflection off chest & shoulders only. No buffeting was what most said about it!! Ok for yu Deuce owners, you may try my mod,I also will note, that blanks can be had ,ebay, memphis shades,........the plastic place by me also said let us know if you need material (Lexan not acrylic ) "we can make it for you and if you want narrower profile, no prob. .We can make what ever yu want for 1/3 the price of any vendor"................If there are plastics entities in your area you may hit them up and ask. YMMV

Last edited by Torky_SOB; 05-24-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Hey Torky. I did the same thing on my Deluxe a couple years back. I HATED the 20" windshield that came with the bike. But because I have fairly low and wide beach bars, without the wind shield, the upright position turns my body into a "sail." LOTS of wind pressure to the mid section. Made my back hurt countering the effect.
I bought a 16" LRS recurve. Line of sight just over the top. However, wind buffeting on my head was so bad I couldn't ride over 50mph. So, I tried the 18". Better, but still unacceptable. Tried deflectors, both store bought an home made. Not much help.
The price on the LRS shields are low enough that it just doesn't pay to try to sell them on, so, with nothing to lose, like you I went the opposite way. I covered the 16" shield with masking tape, drew out a shape with a sharpie and go to cuttin'. First, four inches off the top. The difference was remarkable. With head in clean air, buffeting was greatly reduced....but not completely. After a few more cutting sessions, I ended up at 10.5" above the headlight, with two inches off each side. Now, it's more like a sports shield. I've been on some all day rides in a variety of conditions, from freeway speeds to back roads cruising. The low profile shape takes enough pressure off my torso that I don't need to counter the force with my back and legs, and helmet buffeting has been virtually eliminated.

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 05-24-2018 at 11:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Torky_SOB (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 01:05 PM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member

Yeah Mike, I use to be saying WTF all the time, hugging the tank was ok until I extended my fwds and that fix became non existent . Eyeballs would shake like a babys rattle,NO F***ING GOOD ! kept me from mounting the damn thing and then there was the pressure on a 500 round trip where my back would ache from compensating for the wind pressure on my chest from no shield. Once I began getting older and started going on longer trips I needed the shield and once I removed it ,I was like "put that damn thing back on and deal with it". Until now !!

I may trim a 1.5 " from the left and right sides as yu have done to give it a bit less width and leaner profile. I just wish now I could ride, we are stuck in the opposite of a Bermuda high pressure, a low pressure system funneling moisture into the state and its not very pattern like so its rain morning noon & night. Cant get out and twist the grip and now I have my steed finally ready to go, I guess the old adage of "patience is a virtue" may be correct but Im gonna build an ark here soon !!

Old 05-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Weather....damn. What can ya do.

Here's a shot looking through the screen to give a 'rider's eye view."

Torky_SOB (05-24-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 02:31 PM
FLASH1970
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,171 Likes on 1,164 Posts

I put a National Cycle Gladiator shield on my bike to make the ride more enjoyable. I like the adjustability it has being able to tweak both height and angle. My bike is on the right.

Torky_SOB (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 04:21 PM
rbert0005
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Fangs is the answer.

Bob

Old 05-24-2018, 05:43 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rbert0005
Fangs is the answer.

Bob
Tried 'em. Bike/rider positions come in a wide variety. While fangs work well for some, they just didn't help with my own set-up. I just don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution. Experimentation led to a solution for me.

Torky_SOB (05-25-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 09:38 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

I have the HD quick detachable windshield. While it works well for keeping the wind pressure off of my chest, the wind buffeting on my 1/2 helmet was horrible and was
was unbearable without the wind shield. I bought a Shoei full face helmet for cold weather riding and amazingly the buffeting of my head disappeared. To the extent that
I only use the windshield on multi day rides now.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:30 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I have the HD quick detachable windshield. While it works well for keeping the wind pressure off of my chest, the wind buffeting on my 1/2 helmet was horrible and was
was unbearable without the wind shield. I bought a Shoei full face helmet for cold weather riding and amazingly the buffeting of my head disappeared. To the extent that
I only use the windshield on multi day rides now.
Cut it down Deucedog,If yu make it 11'"-11.5" from the top of the headlight opening edge to the top of the screen it will work fine for deflection off chest and your head will be steady and no shake & rattling of your eyeballs. Actually I should have done this 8 yrs ago. I also wear a full face and before it was unbearable no matter what lid I was sport'n. My main concern for the shield was deflection of wind off upper torso, with a full face no worries about bug /object impact!! Fatigue from no shield for me is a bitch.Yur into a 500 mile round trip and yur lower back is screaming from fighting the pressure on upper torso. Now I can make out road signs and no more getting bobble head headaches and not much need for chiropractor either anymore

Last edited by Torky_SOB; 05-25-2018 at 05:31 AM.