Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary chain tensioner ratchets up too tight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018 | 12:12 PM
rquest
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
The HD automatic tensioner is junk. Mine started being difficult to shift and made an unusual sound shifting into first. When I took off the cover the primary chain was tighter than a banjo string. Replaced with the old style adjuster and check it when changing the primary. Not a big deal to check and adjust if necessary.
Humm... this is the first bad comment I've heard. Maybe you got the taller springs Hattitude was speaking of? Again, I would be interested in purchasing this unit if anyone has one to sell.

Old 05-12-2018 | 03:38 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmilo1000
The HD automatic tensioner is junk. Mine started being difficult to shift and made an unusual sound shifting into first. When I took off the cover the primary chain was tighter than a banjo string. Replaced with the old style adjuster and check it when changing the primary. Not a big deal to check and adjust if necessary.

Just curious, what year is your bike.... ?

The older version is certainly lacking... the newer one, while not perfect, does a far better job than the older version....

In 2007 when they went to the auto tensioner, they removed the tensioner inspection window/port on the primary cover. Now to check and adjust a manual tensioner, you'd have to remove the entire primary cover... not a big deal, but a bit of a hassle....

Old 05-12-2018 | 08:08 PM
b bop n bob
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hattitude
In 2007 when they went to the auto tensioner, they removed the tensioner inspection window/port on the primary cover. Now to check and adjust a manual tensioner, you'd have to remove the entire primary cover... not a big deal, but a bit of a hassle....
Not just a hassle, but it will cost ya $50 for a gasket just to take a peek. Thanks Harley......

Old 05-13-2018 | 01:56 AM
rquest
|
Road Master
Red face

Originally Posted by hattitude
Just curious, what year is your bike.... ?

The older version is certainly lacking... the newer one, while not perfect, does a far better job than the older version....

Yeah, I have the 07 and wouldn't you know I'm suffering from PP, (primary problems, lol) It's funny that HD took so long to address the problem (I'm assuming they have a different tensioner in the new engines) and never really acknowledged that there possibly was one? If I owned a motor cycle company I would have had a fix within the first 6 months!

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (05-13-2018)
Old 10-31-2021 | 12:33 PM
MityMo
Stage IV

Based on feedback on available options, last year I went with the Hayden tensioner when I upgraded to the ManoWar and Baker transmission.
I have a strong running 124 in my StreetGlide and do ride pretty hard. The Hayden seemed to work well until this week when it had a catastrophic failure.
Its been on the bike for 7k miles. Any suggestions on a tensioner that will hold up?

Old 10-31-2021 | 01:58 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MityMo
Based on feedback on available options, last year I went with the Hayden tensioner when I upgraded to the ManoWar and Baker transmission.
I have a strong running 124 in my StreetGlide and do ride pretty hard. The Hayden seemed to work well until this week when it had a catastrophic failure.
Its been on the bike for 7k miles. Any suggestions on a tensioner that will hold up?

hard to tell from that picture but is the shoe on the right way ? There's a radius cutout thats supposed to go towards the front of the tensioner, installed backwards it will bottom out and break the shoe. I've seen a few break and every time it was from being put on backwards. I did it on my own bike a few years ago. Luckily I had to pull the primary for something else and I caught it just as the two guides were starting to break off. I lost faith in Hayden until I sent a picture of it to a friend and he pointed out that it was actually on backwards. Oops. I bought a new shoe and it's been trouble free for 2 seasons or almost 20k on 110" that's not stock.

Old 10-31-2021 | 02:07 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Yea the right side of that shoe looks broken, not sure why it would break on that end.
I too have installed it backwards.
BUT I started the engine with the primary OFF and it broke in front of me, so, bought a new shoe and installed correctly.
30K miles on it!!!!

Old 10-31-2021 | 03:46 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Riders Club Member

My 08 broke the chain, primary case and the clutch basket. Luckily it was under warranty. Also had trouble with the starter and compensator on that bike. The primary case was open a lot.

Old 10-31-2021 | 05:53 PM
Firedude2
Tourer

My 2011 Ultra with 13000 miles had a beat up comp and a VERY tight chain. Switched to Man O War and Hayden. Only have 1000 miles on it but yesterday i put a new clutch in and everything looked great. I have used several Haydens in the past with no issues. Never in a big inch or high horsepower bike though. Very smooth combo in this bike so far.

Old 10-31-2021 | 05:55 PM
Firedude2
Tourer

Originally Posted by MityMo

i would look at the Baker if I was in your shoes.

Quick Reply: Primary chain tensioner ratchets up too tight?