Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They almost got me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018 | 08:00 AM
cory464
|
Cruiser
Default They almost got me...

i did the demo truck over the weekend, tried all the new models, and was surprised by a few, disappointed by others and fell in love with one. the winner of the day for me was the softail slim. just an all around great bike. love the new motor, love the new frame. the seat still sucks.

well, the problem is i own a 2017 slim (so yeah, i am biased). its not just marketing, the new bike is good. so i went to my local dealer to see how bad it would hurt to make a deal. long story short, i can get a better rate, a decent trade value, and walk out with a new bike for the same payment... except for a few things. i'm not a big fan of exposed wiring on sensors, and improperly installed tank straps. seeing these two items that were pretty obvious makes me wonder what else is installed incorrectly that i can't see. i guess i'm spoiled, but i really think that the quality control should be better on these bikes. if the moco is worried about losing market share and scaring off customers, things like this just arent okay.

Old 05-04-2018 | 09:56 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member

Well, the excess wiring is the consequence of living in the EPA age where the motor has to have a computer and umpteen eleven sensors to run, the failure of any one of which will put you on the side of the road. But, yeah, they should have sleeved those wires better. I agree, stuff like that doesn't exactly make me want to whip out my checkbook, either.

Old 05-04-2018 | 04:08 PM
LXT
Road Master

That stuff is biting them in the ***, Ive seen a couple Heritages on the rack at my dealership with wiring / corrosion issues. hopefully they revisit some of the cosmetics on a few of their bike lines.

Old 05-04-2018 | 08:55 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member

The brake linkage pin looks like it's sticking out further than it should.

The new Harleys are just getting further away from what I like in a bike. The Road Kings are a nice looking machines, the new softails not so much.

Old 05-04-2018 | 09:01 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

It's only gonna get worse when Harley decides to make them more "affordable". Add to that a complete factory change in 2018-2019.

Old 05-07-2018 | 02:08 PM
cory464
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dehammer
The brake linkage pin looks like it's sticking out further than it should.

The new Harleys are just getting further away from what I like in a bike. The Road Kings are a nice looking machines, the new softails not so much.

WOW. good eye. i didn't even notice. but yeah not digging the quality issues on a "new" bike

Old 05-07-2018 | 02:21 PM
PA1195
Road Captain

The brake linkage pin has a split ring holding it on the back side. It can move sideways = normal.

My oil pressure sensor wiring shielding is closer to the wire ends. Wrap exposed wire with tape or split plastic electrical conduit.

Old 05-07-2018 | 02:35 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member

Looks like the tech that is "SUPPOSED" to set the bike up didn't do its job. You know that amount the dealer charges for prep. The techs are supposed to go over the bike and fix anything that was missed at the factory.

Old 05-07-2018 | 03:14 PM
PA1195
Road Captain

Dealers are compensated by HD for the prep....but how much? Whatever it is can't be enough for them so they charge extra hours of labor for fun and more profit.

From HD's online pricing for their motorcycles at the bottom of the page:
  • 6. Prices listed are the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Prices for base models. Options such as color are available at additional cost. Prices exclude tax, title, licensing, registration fees, destination charges, added accessories, and additional dealer charges, if any, and are subject to change. Harley-Davidson reimburses dealers for performing manufacturer-specified pre-delivery inspection and setup tasks. Dealer prices may vary.

Old 05-07-2018 | 05:33 PM
StreetBob18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cory464
i did the demo truck over the weekend, tried all the new models, and was surprised by a few, disappointed by others and fell in love with one. the winner of the day for me was the softail slim. just an all around great bike. love the new motor, love the new frame. the seat still sucks.

well, the problem is i own a 2017 slim (so yeah, i am biased). its not just marketing, the new bike is good. so i went to my local dealer to see how bad it would hurt to make a deal. long story short, i can get a better rate, a decent trade value, and walk out with a new bike for the same payment... except for a few things. i'm not a big fan of exposed wiring on sensors, and improperly installed tank straps. seeing these two items that were pretty obvious makes me wonder what else is installed incorrectly that i can't see. i guess i'm spoiled, but i really think that the quality control should be better on these bikes. if the moco is worried about losing market share and scaring off customers, things like this just arent okay.
Mate, this is like knocking back a chance to sleep with a supermodel just because she has a pimple on her butt!

By your own admission it is a better bike, no extra payments and you knock it back for a few unfinished dealer prep things?
Your loss.

Quick Reply: They almost got me...